PDA

View Full Version : Buyer's remorse over 160GB Classic after 120GB announcement

Triangel7D
Sep 10, 2008, 07:52 AM
I bought the 160GB Classic in a panic from Apple after the 120GB announcement yesterday, but now I'm having 2 sets of regrets:

-- Will Apple release a 240GB version based on the new Toshiba drive within the next year (I'm not a huge hurry since my 4G still works!)?

-- Genius is actually really, really cool. Will Apple activate it in these older Classics (maybe for a nominal fee)?

Any advice/perspective? I almost want to activate an RMA as soon as my 160GB arrives (and does anyone know if the RMA is free shipping)?

tobefirst
Sep 10, 2008, 08:09 AM
I doubt that Apple will add Genius to the older Classics, or any other iPods. I imagine that it will just be added going forward to all the new updates.

Triangel7D
Sep 10, 2008, 08:21 AM
Is it that Apple can't (hardware limitation) or Apple won't add Genius to the previous generation? When I hit "buy" I didn't realize what an amazing feature this was.

tobefirst
Sep 10, 2008, 08:31 AM
I can't see how Genius would be hardware limited. I agree that it is a killer feature on an iPod, but more so for this reason: I can't count the number of times I've been listening to my iPod on shuffle, heard a song, and thought, "I'd love to hear this other song by that artist, or just more stuff from him/her/them," only to decide it wasn't worth it to back out of all the menus, then search for the artist, to listen to a couple more songs, to back out again and reshuffle.

Triangel7D
Sep 10, 2008, 11:42 AM
For me the advantage to shuffle is this -- I am often in the mood to hear one particular song, but I don't know what else I want to listen too. If I click "Genius" then that's taken care of.

My choice is now boiled down to:

A. Keep the 160GB once it arrives and HOPE that Genius gets added.

or

B. Return the 160GB and wait it out for the 240GB or, if the 120GB proves to be the last high-capacity iPod, just settle on that.

Either way, it's a gamble, but I gots ta have the Genius in the iPod!

ucfgrad93
Sep 10, 2008, 11:50 AM
You could always do a Genius playlist on iTunes and then sync it to your iPod. Yeah, its not as convenient but it would work.

roland.g
Sep 10, 2008, 12:03 PM
It has been announced that Genius will be added to older iPod Classics.

princealfie
Sep 10, 2008, 12:23 PM
I bought the 160GB Classic in a panic from Apple after the 120GB announcement yesterday, but now I'm having 2 sets of regrets:

-- Will Apple release a 240GB version based on the new Toshiba drive within the next year (I'm not a huge hurry since my 4G still works!)?

-- Genius is actually really, really cool. Will Apple activate it in these older Classics (maybe for a nominal fee)?

Any advice/perspective? I almost want to activate an RMA as soon as my 160GB arrives (and does anyone know if the RMA is free shipping)?

Yes, Apple most likely will have a 240 gb ipod when the price falls on that Toshiba drive.

brn2ski00
Sep 10, 2008, 12:33 PM

I wouldn't worry about it -- if you need all 160GBs of space, then you made a good buy. Genius is software bases and will be available in a software update.

The only remorse you should have is that the iPod Classic will eventually be discontinued as flash memory comes down. Eventually, all iPods will be touch based.

I doubt that Apple will add Genius to the older Classics, or any other iPods. I imagine that it will just be added going forward to all the new updates.

Yes they will.

keeganisafish
Sep 10, 2008, 01:00 PM
It has been announced that Genius will be added to older iPod Classics.

where was it announced?

brn2ski00
Sep 10, 2008, 01:36 PM
where was it announced?

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/10/genius-feature-coming-to-older-ipod-classics/

Triangel7D
Sep 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone! That made my day. I was so busy reading the forum, I didn't check the main site! Option A it is! No RMA for me!

I mean, the 240GB could come out in the next year, but if I keep learning anything from Apple again and again, you can't count on products that don't exist yet. I could have had this Macbook I'm typing on 8 months sooner than I did, for example. I could have had my entire 107GB library on a single iPod for the last year. 160GB is plenty (it fits my library plus additional photos. And every podcast on my hard drive).

MacBass
Sep 10, 2008, 03:18 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone! That made my day. I was so busy reading the forum, I didn't check the main site! Option A it is! No RMA for me!

I mean, the 240GB could come out in the next year, but if I keep learning anything from Apple again and again, you can't count on products that don't exist yet. I could have had this Macbook I'm typing on 8 months sooner than I did, for example. I could have had my entire 107GB library on a single iPod for the last year. 160GB is plenty (it fits my library plus additional photos. And every podcast on my hard drive).

I hear you man, I bought my Mini after they updated back in 2007, and the 80 GB Classic when it came out. I wish I would have gone for the 160, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Yes, as everyone has already posted, Genius will be coming to all Classics - 80, 120, and 160 GB.

Triangel7D
Sep 11, 2008, 06:26 AM
Well, apparently the 6G Classics are NOT getting Genius. RMA's here I come. This is very disappointing. Not sure if I'm going to get the 120GB (it's just a little too small) or wait it out and see if a 240GB comes out.

hexonxonx
Sep 11, 2008, 06:34 AM
Well, apparently the 6G Classics are NOT getting Genius. RMA's here I come. This is very disappointing. Not sure if I'm going to get the 120GB (it's just a little too small) or wait it out and see if a 240GB comes out.

Apple did say that the 160GB and 80GB Classics would be getting the Genious updates as well, it's on the first page of this site.

wordmunger
Sep 11, 2008, 06:38 AM
Apple did say that the 160GB and 80GB Classics would be getting the Genious updates as well, it's on the first page of this site.

Nope. The announcement was retracted (http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029432,49298843,00.htm).

Update: Apple gave us a call last night, and apparently the resident iPod 'expert' at the event the other day wasn't as much of an expert as we'd hoped. Apparently there aren't plans to offer a free Genius-enabling update to the original iPod classic.

Loge
Sep 11, 2008, 07:04 AM
Yes, Apple most likely will have a 240 gb ipod when the price falls on that Toshiba drive.

Much as I would like one, I don't regard this as likely at all, since it requires them to manufacture a thicker case for this one model, and the evidence appears to be that the 160GB was not a big seller.

And a tagline of "One size fits all" does not really suggest a larger model is waiting in the wings.

ACAx1985
Sep 11, 2008, 06:11 PM
Are the 160s still experiencing problems (I've heard there are a lot--what are they?)? Or is it fixed?

If it's fixed, I'm probably diving in for a 160 refurb ASAP.

please help :D

pooryou
Sep 11, 2008, 06:35 PM
That 'retraction' doesn't seem very credible to me.

HiFiGuy528
Sep 11, 2008, 07:25 PM
Keep the 160GB. There won't be a bigger iPod for a long long time. Apple is moving on to SSD so until they go down in price, you won't see a iPod bigger than 120GB. I did a lot of research on bigger HD for iPod (240GB Toshiba). You can not go bigger than 160GB in 6th gen due to software and 120GB in the 5th gen. Anything bigger may cause it to crash.

If you want the genius play list, do it on iTunes then sync it to iPod.

Triangel7D
Sep 11, 2008, 07:25 PM
That 'retraction' doesn't seem very credible to me.

I'm curious why you think that. It sounds more credible to me than the original source that said it was coming when you read the Crave article (since it was a call from Apple to cnet.uk).

ACAx1985: The "pause" problems seem to be ongoing with both the 80GB and 160GB as I read on another thread (which linked to a very long unsolved thread in the Apple Discussion Boards), which is actually another reason I want to return the 160GB.

DjAmTraX: The way I'd like to use Genius is sort of an "impulse" function. For example, I'm driving in my car and would love to make a Genius playlist instantly. For me, it's actually better to settle for a 120GB w/Genius than a 160GB without.

The 160GB arrives tomorrow. Maybe I'll hang onto my RMA for a week and see what the firmware update brings (in case the retractor is wrong).

pooryou
Sep 12, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm curious why you think that. It sounds more credible to me than the original source that said it was coming when you read the Crave article (since it was a call from Apple to cnet.uk).

The article itself even paints the source as being flaky. Even if they hadn't, it seems that way to me.

pooryou
Sep 12, 2008, 12:36 AM
Keep the 160GB. There won't be a bigger iPod for a long long time. Apple is moving on to SSD so until they go down in price, you won't see a iPod bigger than 120GB. I did a lot of research on bigger HD for iPod (240GB Toshiba). You can not go bigger than 160GB in 6th gen due to software and 120GB in the 5th gen. Anything bigger may cause it to crash.

This is what I have been suspecting and have said in other threads. My 160GB still crashes semi-regularly and it is nearly full. (though it hasn't in the past week knock on wood).

Are you just guessing this or did someone actually try replacing the hard drive?

Loge
Sep 12, 2008, 02:28 AM
I'm awaiting with interest to find out if there are any reports of the random pause issue with the 120GB, and how snappy the UI is.

Also I wonder if they have moved back to a 64MB cache, like they used on the higher capacity 5/5.5G iPods.

arjen92
Sep 12, 2008, 02:40 AM
The reason (I think) that they now only sell 120 Gb classics is because the 160 almost wasn't bought and people didn't need so much space, but 80 was just too little.