PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch Gets an External Microphone

MacRumors
Sep 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple introduced the new iPod Touch (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/09/2nd-generation-ipod-touch-2-1-firmware-speaker-thinner/) yesterday which contained a couple of minor hardware tweaks over the previous model. Most notably, this included a built-in speaker and volume control buttons which were both absent on the 1st generation iPod Touch.

One item we failed to report, however, was that Apple appears to have also added external microphone support (via accessory) into the iPod Touch as well. Apple introduced two new earphones accessories yesterday: Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770) and In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic (http://www.apple.com/ipod/inearheadphones/).

The microphone feature of the headsets was advertised as allowing you to record voice memos on the new iPod Nano, but Apple's product page (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770) indicates that the Mic also works with the iPod Classic as well as the new iPod Touch:The remote and mic are supported only by iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (120GB), and iPod touch (2nd generation). Audio is supported by all iPod models.Adding convenient microphone support into the iPod Touch opens up the possibility of Voice Over IP (VOIP) applications such as Skype which would allow you to make telephone calls from your iPod Touch over Wi-Fi networks. Apple has said that they would not restrict Wi-Fi VOIP applications as long as they did not run over the iPhone's cellular networks.

The microphones portion of the headsets will not work with the 1st generation iPod Touch.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/10/ipod-touch-gets-an-external-microphone/)

NightFlight
Sep 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
Skype on a Touch??? Awesome.

Full of Win
Sep 10, 2008, 09:13 AM
O Boy...here comes the S--- storm over old hardware left out in the cold.

bigmc6000
Sep 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
So does anyone know if these will work w/ the iPhone? I'd like to have the ability to adjust the sound without touching the phone as well as triple clicking to go previous. Would also be nice to get those high-quality in-ear headphones...

m4c1nt05h
Sep 10, 2008, 09:16 AM

the 1st gen and 3g iphone are hardly old. :(

from the apple store:

"*Compatibility Information

The remote and mic are supported only by iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (120GB), and iPod touch (2nd generation). Audio is supported by all iPod models."

apple really is doing some weird stuff lately.

.:R2theT
Sep 10, 2008, 09:17 AM
So does anyone know if these will work w/ the iPhone? I'd like to have the ability to adjust the sound without touching the phone as well as triple clicking to go previous. Would also be nice to get those high-quality in-ear headphones...

Exactly. These better work with both generations of iPhone!

i0Nic
Sep 10, 2008, 09:18 AM
Yes the In-Ear headphones better work with the iPhone, including the mic/buttons.
Or I'll be so freakin pissed.

Fabio_gsilva
Sep 10, 2008, 09:19 AM
The iPod touch is even closer to the iPhone without the phone that a lot of people were asking.

I think that Apple did a great job with the iPod line up.

madrag
Sep 10, 2008, 09:21 AM
it's about time!
I'm glad the touch is "growing"

born4sky
Sep 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
So ... Do you think new headphones for $79 will work with an iPhone?

Poff
Sep 10, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm feeling I find it hard to choose between an iPod Touch or iPhone. Until yesterday I was set for an iPhone, but now I'm not sure.

..and the Touch looks sleeker, too. But no GPS and no internet over 3G might be a deal-breaker for me..

Veri
Sep 10, 2008, 09:24 AM
Conjecture: The iPod nano 3g (inter al.) supports an external mic, but that's an acessory which uses the serial "Apple Accessory Protocol" to chat with the iPod, whereas the range released yesterday needs nothing but a dumb mic plugged in to record. The connection moves from intelligent data port to dumb 3.5mm port, sort of the opposite to TV out moving to the data port. Likely right/wrong?

I wonder how uniform the protocol spec (http://www.nuxx.net/wiki/Apple_Accessory_Protocol) is across iPods/iPhones? A small electronics shop could build something that implements as many of the "modes" for an all-in-one-fun accessory, in theory. Although if you wanted to join up with Apple as an accessory provider, I guess you get complete and official docs (how much does that cost?)...

arn
Sep 10, 2008, 09:25 AM

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/09/apple-event-a-few-extra-details-you-didnt-get

The new headsets' Audio and Next/Skip controls will reportedly work on the iPhone but not the volume controls

The headphones, which let you skip/pause/play with a click just like the iPhone headphones, also let you adjust volume up or down. I asked whether they would work with the iPhone, and the Apple rep said the company doesn't claim that they're supported. "It will work with skipping, pausing, etc. but I don't think the volume will change. That's not supported on the iPhone." He pointed out that iPhone headphones will work with the iPod touch and iPod nano, however.

imcquill
Sep 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
Is there any word on whether skype is going to make a native app for the iPhone/iPod? That would definitely be cool.

mattwolfmatt
Sep 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
It's worth noting that this is NOT on the actual ipod - it needs the special headphones plugged in. I had to read this several times to understand that.

I'm excited by the lineup. A lot of little improvements to the touch; I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend $400 for them though (I'd HAVE to get the 32GB; this would actually hold my entire music library - with some room to spare - which is something I'm missing with my touch.)

Ok I convinced myself, I'm getting it! I just hope a 64GB doesn't come out after Christmas...

rld1971
Sep 10, 2008, 09:31 AM
iSkoot is not really fully VOIP since it uses the regular voice network for over the air conversations and then switches over to Skype! I jhave it on my Nokia e61, it's awesome.

Lesser Evets
Sep 10, 2008, 09:34 AM
One word:

....BUWAHAHA!

I saw a load of haters on the forums bitchin' 'bout how Apple would NEVER allow that to happen. NEVER!! NEVARRRR! Yet they made it happen. Heck, they'll integrate the mic, camera and bloot'th over time. It just didn't happen this year.

arn
Sep 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
It's worth noting that this is NOT on the actual ipod - it needs the special headphones plugged in. I had to read this several times to understand that.

Sorry, I see where the confusion lies. I reworded the article.

Also, it should be noted that there is no support for the Mic yet as far as I can tell. And there is a small possibility that this is a mistake on Apple's part, though the wording is specific.

arn

danyadd
Sep 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
I own an Ipod Touch 1G (firmware 2.1).
I would like to use this new headset to skip songs and set volume.
Any news about that?

bigmc6000
Sep 10, 2008, 09:41 AM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/09/apple-event-a-few-extra-details-you-didnt-get

The new headsets' Audio and Next/Skip controls will reportedly work on the iPhone but not the volume controls

Hmm, that would lead me to believe that the triple-click doesn't work either.

I wonder if maybe the 2.1 firmware might add this functionality? I mean, would Apple seriously continue to make two different sets of mic-in-line headphones just because they don't want to enable the adjusting of volume and triple click on the iPhone?

thecartoonguy
Sep 10, 2008, 09:51 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth. And they thought IKE was a problem. Snort

koobcamuk
Sep 10, 2008, 09:53 AM
Well, they haven't said which ipods the mic and remote work with, so it'll be good when people test it. I would love skype on the iPhone (for wifi areas).

Tomaz
Sep 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
So do they ship the Touch with the 29$ version of those headphones with mic and vol-control (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770), or do they ship the new Touch with the plain old headphones and we have to buy the mic ones ?

JAYGEE
Sep 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
Does it allow you to listen to game play while playing games, but not allow you to listen to your music playlist?

Pandaboots
Sep 10, 2008, 09:56 AM
Anyone know why the in ear headphones wouldn't fully work with the 3g iPhone? Seems the new iPod Touch is identical to the iPhone now. This seems very strange and a huge oversight on Apple's behalf especially since these are reproduction of the headphones developed for the iPhone. :confused:

Duke2
Sep 10, 2008, 10:01 AM
:eek: Holy C-R-A-P!! :eek:

This is freakin awesome. Can someone, ANYONE PLS confirm the mic functionality enables VOIP calling on the Touch.

If this actually works, yesterday went from the most pathetic product 'launch' I've ever witnessed to the best single jump forward in many years.

I'm in for (3) 32 giggers as soon as someone can verify AAPL has not put in some stupid restriction (based on some agreement with AT&T not to sabotage the phone plans) which would prevent VOIP calling using the mic headset coupled with the built in speaker.

MAKE IT SO :apple:!!

schatten
Sep 10, 2008, 10:11 AM
I was on the fence regarding my decision to buy an iPod touch, and this actually put me over; I'm gettin' one!

tkidBOSTON
Sep 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
Why is there a question mark at the end of the new story title?

This is confirmed and true, correct?

december
Sep 10, 2008, 10:16 AM
is there any good reason why the new mic/headphone accessory doesn't work with the 80/160GB classic given that the 120GB differs only in capacity?

i have been looking for a headphone remote for my classic since i upgraded from a 3rd gen iPod (which shipped with the old remote + a dock + a charger + a hard case + a soft case) and adding voice memo capabilities at the same time would be nice.

nvbrit
Sep 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
Why is there a question mark at the end of the new story title?

This is confirmed and true, correct?

No it' not confirmed and true. There was no mention of mic support in the new touch yesterday, there is no mention of it in the specs for the new touch BUT these two new headsets both say in their specs that the Mic feature works on the 2nd Gen touch. It could be a misprint by Apple, it seems odd that something so major wasn't even mentioned.

xraydoc
Sep 10, 2008, 10:20 AM
is there any good reason why the new mic/headphone accessory doesn't work with the 80/160GB classic given that the 120GB differs only in capacity?
We don't necessarily know that. There may be internal changes that allow the microphone to function. All we do know at this point is that they look very similar on the outside and run a similar version (though clearly not identical since the new ones have this Genius feature) of the iPod Classic OS.

johny5
Sep 10, 2008, 10:21 AM
There is already a VOIP app out on the iphone called "Truphone" so surely this app would (I love this apple phrase) "just work" lol.

The Truphone app would turn the touch into a phone although I am sure apple wouldnt allow this app to work??

dernhelm
Sep 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
Man it would be awesome if the microphone does work on the touch!

Does that mean the microphone on the new headphones will work as a line-in?

Hmmm...

Snowy_River
Sep 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
What I'd really like to see is a software Vonage Phone. That way, I'd be able to get home phone calls anywhere I had Wi-Fi access if I got an iPod Touch.

DaBrain
Sep 10, 2008, 10:33 AM

And WHY shouldn't there be? I was all set to buy these until I found out yesterday that even the volume control on the remote capsule will not work for the 1st gen touch, let alone the mic. I can not believe that this can not be done by a firmware update like in 2.1. I'd be happy if I could just adjust the volume but nope appears it can't be done according to Apple!

No way will I buy another touch and $79 ear buds that will not work with my $400 1st gen touch. Not Good! :rolleyes:

DaBrain
Sep 10, 2008, 10:34 AM
the 1st gen and 3g iphone are hardly old. :(

from the apple store:

"*Compatibility Information

The remote and mic are supported only by iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (120GB), and iPod touch (2nd generation). Audio is supported by all iPod models."

They sure are! It's called let's milk the customer for ever buck we can!

Clayne
Sep 10, 2008, 10:50 AM
it's about time!
I'm glad the touch is "growing"

If only it would "grow" to 64 gigs. :rolleyes:

twoodcc
Sep 10, 2008, 10:56 AM
this is great, except that it only works with the newer ipod touches

phinnaeus
Sep 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
For all those bitching about this not working on earlier devices: I am pretty sure that Stereo + Mic is a different mini-plug than just Stereo. I'm not positive, however.

hob
Sep 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'm a little peeved that Apple makes a distinction between my iPod Classic (160GB - I guess I'm one of the few that actually bought it) and the new iPod Classic. A nice company would just update the old Classics with software on the new ones...

I would really like to see Genius Playlists! I've already got a radio remote, but that new inline one looks pretty sexy... they'd get a few more quid out of me that way!

hayesk
Sep 10, 2008, 11:13 AM
Yes the In-Ear headphones better work with the iPhone, including the mic/buttons.

So, your iPhone should work with every accessory Apple releases after you bought your iPhone? You do know that their Time Machine is a backup feature right? Apple doesn't have an actual time machine.

hayesk
Sep 10, 2008, 11:13 AM
Anyone know why the in ear headphones wouldn't fully work with the 3g iPhone? Seems the new iPod Touch is identical to the iPhone now. This seems very strange and a huge oversight on Apple's behalf especially since these are reproduction of the headphones developed for the iPhone. :confused:

Probably because the serial protocol to handle the volume changing is newer than the 3G iPhone and is hardwired into the device - not a software feature.

flyingkite
Sep 10, 2008, 11:14 AM
I like to know if

"The new Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic are engineered for superior acoustic accuracy, balance, and clarity. So you hear details you’ve been missing with other, lesser headphones."

advertisement (http://www.apple.com/ipod/inearheadphones/) is misleading and whether any iPod user will benefit from such a earphone?

Here is the technical specs of the in ear earphone

Frequency response: 5Hz to 21kHz
Impedance (at 100Hz): 23 ohms
Sensitivity (at 100Hz): 109 dB SPL/mW

This is the technical audio specs of iPod Touch and iPod Nano
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

So how do we hear details from a earphone (that is supposedly designed for the iPod) when the iPoddoes not support the frequency response or am I wrong? Can someone clarify on a technical standpoint. Or is part of the mic frequency response

cvaldes
Sep 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
Guys, the reason why the new earphones+remote/mic won't work with older iPods is internal circuitry within the iPods.

There are four metal collars on the new earphones: ground, stereo left, stereo right, and mic. The microphone sound input, as well as track advance/reverse and volume control tricks are all done on the mic line.

Previous generation iPods (including my 80GB classic and first-generation 16GB iPod touch) have a fourth collar on the miniplug jack, but it is hard wired to the composite video out signal. No firmware upgrade is going to change that.

Thus the 2nd generation iPod touch, new nano, new 120GB classic aren't going to be compatible with the AV cable from the previous generation. Apple has traded mic in for video out.

I read something online that presumed partial compatibility with the iPhone 3G, but I'm not sure why there isn't total compatibility, but I'm guessing it's how the iPhone circuitry interprets signals on the mic input line.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Sep 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
...When I saw the announcement on the podcast version of the keynote I got excited. Why the hell won't the volume controls work on the iPhone? It's basically an iPod Touch with phone capabilities... Bah.. That's a deal breaker for me. I wonder if OS 2.1'll add that functionality... Hmm

goosnarrggh
Sep 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
I own an Ipod Touch 1G (firmware 2.1).
I would like to use this new headset to skip songs and set volume.
Any news about that?

Highly unlikely. Apple's website claims support only for 2nd generation Classic, 4th generation Nano, and 2nd generation Touch.

I suspect the first generation iPod Touch doesn't have the necessary circuit connected to its headphone jack to allow it to work with the mic and remote.

hayesk
Sep 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
And WHY shouldn't there be? I was all set to buy these until I found out yesterday that even the volume control on the remote capsule will not work for the 1st gen touch, let alone the mic. I can not believe that this can not be done by a firmware update like in 2.1. I'd be happy if I could just adjust the volume but nope appears it can't be done according to Apple!

Why can't you believe that volume control protocol is hardwired on the logic board, rather than implemented in software?

cvaldes
Sep 10, 2008, 11:17 AM
So how do we hear details from a player that does not support the frequency response or am I wrong? Can someone clarify on a technical standpoint. You can use the new earphones on other stereo equipment to get the full range of performance.

Apple could be asserting that their earphones sound better than 30Hz-18KHz cheapos, which would be correct, either on high-end stereo gear or on one of their iPods.

goosnarrggh
Sep 10, 2008, 11:31 AM
Probably because the serial protocol to handle the volume changing is newer than the 3G iPhone and is hardwired into the device - not a software feature.
It would almost certainly have been more expensive for Apple to implement a purely hardware-based remote protocol than to integrate it in software. But I suppose it's always possible.

Personally, I'm reserving judgment until Friday when the iPhone's 2.1 firmware is released.

Even if the iPhone compatibility does turn out to be a purely software issue, it would be false advertising to sell "available now" headphones with the claim they were compatible with the iPhone, before the software was released which would make it possible.

Previous generation iPods (including my 80GB classic and first-generation 16GB iPod touch) have a fourth collar on the miniplug jack, but it is hard wired to the composite video out signal.
Are you sure about that? I thought I'd read that the iPod Touch only offered video output through its Dock connector. I'd just assumed that the 1st generation iPod Touch literally didn't have any hardware at all connected to the headphone jack's 4th collar.

i0Nic
Sep 10, 2008, 11:33 AM
So, your iPhone should work with every accessory Apple releases after you bought your iPhone? You do know that their Time Machine is a backup feature right? Apple doesn't have an actual time machine.

Why shouldn't they work? It's a pair of headphones.
How does it make sense for Apple to release a new premium headset with a mic and button, and yet not make it compatible from the product that would most gain benefit from it?

This is not a hardware issue, at least it sure as **** shouldn't be.

It will be absolutely stupid for Apple to leave iPhone owners in the cold over this.

DaBrain
Sep 10, 2008, 11:37 AM
Why can't you believe that volume control protocol is hardwired on the logic board, rather than implemented in software?

I can believe that. And how so convenient for them.What I can't believe is Apple had no forethought about the impact on 1st gen touch users and made/engineered to work with BOTH from the git go!

They knew what they were doing! Why can't You see that they could of designed to work with both? :rolleyes:

veosotano
Sep 10, 2008, 11:46 AM
So how do we hear details from a earphone (that is supposedly designed for the iPod) when the iPoddoes not support the frequency response or am I wrong? Can someone clarify on a technical standpoint. Or is part of the mic frequency response

Man, the human ear cannot even hear below 20Hz or over 20kHz. And that in perfect conditions!!! After some nights at the disco and other ear-destroying activities you probably cant even hear over 18kHz (at age 24, for example).

The details you can hear from the supposedly great frequency response means that the graphic where each frequency band is shown is pretty flat, so that no freqs hide each other, which is a pretty common problem. What you're talking about should be better called the frequency range, not the response.

Greets ;)

NameSugar
Sep 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
I'm a little surprised I haven't seen anyone mention that huge black patch on the back where the camera is on the iPhone...am I the only one that noticed that or is it used for something else I haven't connected yet?

sososowhat
If these fit deeper in the ear & block external sound, maybe Apple's worried about the safety of using them for the phone while driving.

I've purchased a few apple products and will well might be purchasing a new macbook if they are released before dec otherwise ill stick to a pc laptop.

reason for purchasing the apple products, they all work well together. and having these headphones/mic is awesome, but 'IT DOESNT JUST WORK" on any apple product. apple is losing its focus.

phinnaeus
Sep 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
I'm a little surprised I haven't seen anyone mention that huge black patch on the back where the camera is on the iPhone...am I the only one that noticed that or is it used for something else I haven't connected yet?

WiFi antenna? I think you have probably used that feature once or twice.

cvaldes
Sep 10, 2008, 11:50 AM
Are you sure about that? I thought I'd read that the iPod Touch only offered video output through its Dock connector. I'd just assumed that the 1st generation iPod Touch literally didn't have any hardware at all connected to the headphone jack's 4th collar. No, I'm not sure about that. I'm just recalling something I read last night, but hey, I was also enjoying some delicious beer.

It's possible that the 1st gen iPod touch has video only on the dock connector; I use an older S-Video Universal Dock. In any case, the remote/mic functions on the new earphones still won't work with the 1st gen touch since it's not wired for that.

cvaldes
Sep 10, 2008, 11:52 AM
wifi antenna?

Correct. It's actually smaller and more oval-shaped on the 2nd generation iPod touch.

alhasa
Sep 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
yesterday i watched the keynote and noticed that when steve jobs came back on stage after phil stopped demoing the games, steve said "it (iPod touch) will also work with the new headphones we are shipping next month" or something along those lines.

check it out arn :D

and the touch better support the mic (and voip)... cos i just ordered a touch on that very basis.:cool:

KingofAwesome
Sep 10, 2008, 12:09 PM
How does it make sense for Apple to release a new premium headset with a mic and button, and yet not make it compatible from the product that would most gain benefit from it?

It will be absolutely stupid for Apple to leave iPhone owners in the cold over this.

Look, the standard stereo mini headphone port has three segments to it. Left, Right, and Ground. Standard stereo headphones have the same three segments.

If you want to add something else to this port, such as video or a microphone, you need another segment. Most miniDV camcorders have it so you can plug into a composite video source. The iPhone has it for the microphone (and I presume the little button to answer calls). These are hardwired to different parts on the board inside the phone.

You can't just use software to reroute hardwired controls. You are supposing that Apple should be abstracting every hardware item so that it gets connected to the OS, which then dispatches each signal to the correct place, in real time.

Well, they didn't do that because consumer OSes aren't realtime. They do what they can as fast as they can, but you can't get away with the latency that comes with routing every hardware connection through software first.

If you're suddenly not happy with your device because a new device has other features, then you've got to decide if you want to buy the new device and sell or otherwise discard your current one.

Kobekes
Sep 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
How does the "Nike + iPod support built in" communicate with the shoe?
Is it using Bluetooth?

what about VOiP on the iPod Touch with a iPhone Bluetooth Headset?

http://images.apple.com/iphone/images/accessories_headset20080609.jpg

No convenient buttons that let you adjust volume and control music and video playback though...

zhensley
Sep 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
Is it using Bluetooth?

http://images.apple.com/iphone/images/accessories_headset20080609.jpg

No convenient buttons that let you adjust volume and control music and video playback though...

Good thought...anyone know?

I agree with whoever said earlier that this makes yesterday's announcement much more attractive. Still not groundbreaking, but it would be nice to run Skype on this...

schatten
Sep 10, 2008, 12:29 PM

But....what if the older headphone jack doesn't physically support the audio or data-in function from the headphones? I mean, they can't retrofit the jacks on the already shipped iPods, etc.

diamond.g
Sep 10, 2008, 12:33 PM
Look, the standard stereo mini headphone port has three segments to it. Left, Right, and Ground. Standard stereo headphones have the same three segments.

If you want to add something else to this port, such as video or a microphone, you need another segment. Most miniDV camcorders have it so you can plug into a composite video source. The iPhone has it for the microphone (and I presume the little button to answer calls). These are hardwired to different parts on the board inside the phone.

You can't just use software to reroute hardwired controls. You are supposing that Apple should be abstracting every hardware item so that it gets connected to the OS, which then dispatches each signal to the correct place, in real time.

Well, they didn't do that because consumer OSes aren't realtime. They do what they can as fast as they can, but you can't get away with the latency that comes with routing every hardware connection through software first.

If you're suddenly not happy with your device because a new device has other features, then you've got to decide if you want to buy the new device and sell or otherwise discard your current one.
I don't know if you own an iPhone, but the headphones that come with it are segmented four times. Really the only thing that should stop the new headset from having the volume working is the iPhone not knowing what to do with the signals the set sends. Remember not only can the button answer and hangup calls but it can also skip tracks and pause and play.

slothrob
Sep 10, 2008, 12:49 PM
I think that anyone who has ever done the most basic of audio work would realize why the jack cannot be made universally backward compatible. It's too bad for the first gen touch owners, but the iphone already has a mic...

I'm curious to find out the quality of the recording. If the touch can record with some decent fidelity, and someone comes out with a real microphone for it, it would make a handy portable recorder for interviews or musicians. Throw in a simple multi-track editing program and we have GarageBandLite. Or at least something for capturing tracks for later use in GB.

Great feature. The big one I was hoping for.

Lesser Evets
Sep 10, 2008, 12:51 PM
Is it using Bluetooth?

I read somewhere yesterday that the Bloot'th working with the Nike+ sensor is a limited version which doesn't support full Bloot'th functionality.

nvbrit
Sep 10, 2008, 01:02 PM
Why is it so hard for everyone to understand that adding Mic functionality cannot be done with just a software update. There is hardware that need's to be different in the device for a 'line in' input, plus a regular headphone jack only has the necessary connections for stero left & right, therefore a special jack on the device in addition to the special earphones is needed to add the ability for the mic and controls to work.

I am sure the functionality IS in the 2.1 software but if your device is not equipped with the hardware then it makes sense that it won't work. It would be like trying to add bluetooth support with just software when the hardware to do it doesn't exist!!

manhattanboy
Sep 10, 2008, 01:40 PM
I'm feeling I find it hard to choose between an iPod Touch or iPhone. Until yesterday I was set for an iPhone, but now I'm not sure.

I think this is the best ******** thing Apple has done in awhile.
Now we don't have to use the crappy AT&T to make phone calls!!!!!!!!!!
I could theoretically call someone without a call dropping....
YES... this news is fantastic

manhattanboy
Sep 10, 2008, 01:42 PM
Good thought...anyone know?

I agree with whoever said earlier that this makes yesterday's announcement much more attractive. Still not groundbreaking, but it would be nice to run Skype on this...

It is ground breaking because we now longer have to depend on the crappy AT&T to make calls!!!
That, my friends, is ground breaking

jbernie
Sep 10, 2008, 01:59 PM
I think the biggest issue Apple has right now is shown in this thread, they have many very similar products (ear phones) that do not all fully work on all of their ipod/iphone products.

It is just a total mess that is only likely to lead to customer confusion and reduced customer satisfaction.

Given how close the iPhone 3G release is to the iPod Touch 2nd gen release and the fact that the earphones+mic would have had to have been in development at the same time as the other two products, I just don't know why you wuld not want these earphones to work in full on both products.

Maybe I am expecting too much but surely when connected to an iPhone 3G the iPod controls could serve as double functions and Play could be treated as Answer or Pause being mute in phone mode etc?

The touch with the new ear phones+mic sounds like it has a lot of potential, but the call seems to be out there for a Skype client etc to really make a difference. A Skype client would certainly encourage me to get my wallet out, right now it is just a nice product that I could get but it doesn't have the must have feature... yet.

Kobekes
Sep 10, 2008, 02:18 PM
I read somewhere yesterday that the Bloot'th working with the Nike+ sensor is a limited version which doesn't support full Bloot'th functionality.

Now THAT is something Apple could add with software/firmware isn't it? If they expand the range of the Bluetooth-chip, the iPhone Bluetooth Headset could be used on the iPod Touch. Or is it a super-basic-own-build-single-frequency Bluetooth-chip in there?

I think the biggest issue Apple has right now is shown in this thread, they have many very similar products (ear phones) that do not all fully work on all of their ipod/iphone products.

It is just a total mess that is only likely to lead to customer confusion and reduced customer satisfaction. ..//..

I agree Jbernie.

NorrisKillsKids
Sep 10, 2008, 02:48 PM
Can someone please answer whether the new iPod Touches will be shipped with "Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic" for (the 29 dollars one not the 79 dollars one). Or will they have to be bought separately.

talking about this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3NA&mco=MTcyODk5OQ

Kobekes
Sep 10, 2008, 02:54 PM
Can someone please answer whether the new iPod Touches will be shipped with "Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic" for (the 29 dollars one not the 79 dollars one). Or will they have to be bought separately.

talking about this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3NA&mco=MTcyODk5OQ

I don't think so...
Otherwise they would have specified it.
http://tinyurl.com/6zgp3t

NorrisKillsKids
Sep 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
I don't think so...
Otherwise they would have specified it.

Hmm....that's balls. Ah well it's only 29 bucks, when will they be available (sorry if that's a stupid question)?

happydude
Sep 10, 2008, 03:16 PM

yeah, no doubt. why would they add this capability to the touch without support for the iphone?! common, apple?! maybe they're waiting until friday for 2.1 to announce it will support it as well?

Lesser Evets
Sep 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
Now THAT is something Apple could add with software/firmware isn't it? If they expand the range of the Bluetooth-chip, the iPhone Bluetooth Headset could be used on the iPod Touch. Or is it a super-basic-own-build-single-frequency Bluetooth-chip in there?

From what I read it sounded like there was the short bus version of Bloot'th in the 2G iPod touch/Nike technology transmitter. Someone might figure out some way to make it work, but I suspect the hardware might be too limited.

I would love a B'tooth ear fetus as well.

nvbrit
Sep 10, 2008, 03:39 PM
From what I read it sounded like there was the short bus version of Bloot'th in the 2G iPod touch/Nike technology transmitter. Someone might figure out some way to make it work, but I suspect the hardware might be too limited.

I would love a B'tooth ear fetus as well.

It's not bluetooth, it just a little 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver. Similar to the wireless mice you can buy that have the little usb dongle. Although similar technology to bluetooth, it's NOT bluetooth.

DocNYz
Sep 10, 2008, 03:41 PM
yeah, no doubt. why would they add this capability to the touch without support for the iphone?! common, apple?! maybe they're waiting until friday for 2.1 to announce it will support it as well?

Honestly I don't care about whether or not the volume controls work, because it's just as easy to feel around in your pocket for the side mounted ones - but if the microphone doesn't work with the new in-ear headphones for the iPhone 3G I'm gonna be royally pissed off. Clearly they've been working on these earphones for a loong time, much longer than the 3G has been out, so there's no clear excuse as to why they shouldn't be somewhat compatible, at least with audio and the microphone ...

mr.steevo
Sep 10, 2008, 03:48 PM
Man, the human ear cannot even hear below 20Hz or over 20kHz. And that in perfect conditions

Hi,

The 20Hz to 20,000Hz range was arbitrarily decided by those who invented digital conversion so as to save space. I seem to remember hearing that CD's should have been slightly larger so as to accommodate a higher frequency but the bean counters won out. Before that there wasn't an artificial ceiling (or basement) during the recording process, and the lowly tape reel was able to capture sound waves well over 20,000Hz. A lot of audiophiles swear that analog recordings and playback sound better due the recordings' ability to play back the sounds you can't hear.

At the end of the day you won't notice fleas hair of difference with the iPod's new 21,000Hz headphones due to where you are most likely listening to it (the street), the quality of the recording (compressed digital audio!), and the poor D/A converters in what is a hand held disposable electronic device.

Buy the headphones for the remote ability and the mic.

s.

sportfan6197
Sep 10, 2008, 03:58 PM
do the new earphones come with an ipod touch?

Nick D
Sep 10, 2008, 04:53 PM
I looked at the product page and this may seem like a retarded question, but on the site it doesn't mention compatibility with the iPhone, only the iTouch. Will it work with my 3G?

jbernie
Sep 10, 2008, 07:11 PM

Though it looks like they won't be bundled in any way, I would think they may offer them as a bundle so you pay say a $70-75 premium (cost of fancy earphones - cost of basic ones) and get just the nicer ear phones.

Depending on various factors maybe a bundle at a say the $65 price premium range might encourage more uptake. I would rather get them than the generic ones that will probably end up in drawer, either way I wouldn't use the generic ones as I have had a very nice set of sony in ear earphones for many years now, never used the ones i god with my iPod or that I got with my minidisc players.

mackmgg
Sep 10, 2008, 08:41 PM
They sure are! It's called let's milk the customer for ever buck we can!

Well ACTUALLY if u look at the dissassembly pics the jack is DIFFERENT with the new itouches so its not apple, the old ones are just one way

It's not bluetooth, it just a little 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver. Similar to the wireless mice you can buy that have the little usb dongle. Although similar technology to bluetooth, it's NOT bluetooth.

Once again the dissassembally pics show that it is a Broadcom BCM4325 Bluetooth chip.

disassembly pics (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPod/iPod-Touch-2G/Page-1)

nvbrit
Sep 10, 2008, 10:49 PM
Well ACTUALLY if u look at the dissassembly pics the jack is DIFFERENT with the new itouches so its not apple, the old ones are just one way

Once again the dissassembally pics show that it is a Broadcom BCM4325 Bluetooth chip.

disassembly pics (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPod/iPod-Touch-2G/Page-1)

it's a chip used in bluetooth aplications, in this case it is not being used as such, the presences of this chip doesn't instantly make bluetooth available... many chips are used in many different applications as they have multiple uses

daniglue
Sep 11, 2008, 06:30 AM
I just think this stuff is SUPER COOL!

http://kiimofactory.blog44.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html

is it only for iPod Touch 2G?? :eek:

KingofAwesome
Sep 11, 2008, 07:57 AM

do the new earphones come with an ipod touch?

I just bought a new touch yesterday. No new headphones, just the standard ones that I'm not going to use.

nitro230
Sep 11, 2008, 12:07 PM
can anybody tell me how VOiP works. I know it allows you to make calls using WiFi, but my main question is if it is free to make those calls or not. Also, what would the number show up as. Thanks.

liptonlover
Sep 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
I like listening to my music out loud when it won't bother anyone, so the external speaker is great for me :)

citi
Sep 11, 2008, 01:02 PM
This may have been covered...

I want to buy them because it's adds functionality that should have been there, actually was there in the first 2 generations. I am willing to give them money they don't deserve but seriously...

Make the damn things in BLACK too. I am so sick of the white chord on my Black Touch. I use the Sonys because of this, and the fact that they are considerably better. Just give us the option and let's see which one sell more.

e-coli
Sep 11, 2008, 01:35 PM

I couldn't agree more. I am really befuddled by the fact that these headphones don't fully support Apple's flagship portable device (3G iPhone). I'm not sure what's going on in Cupertino - i.e. the embarrassing and ongoing MobileMe issues, the buggy iPhone, and now these much-anticipated headphones that only fully function with an iPod that doesn't ship with software which takes full advantage of said headphones.

Amazing the disconnect over there lately. Pretty shoddy. It makes me think all is not well in the wheelhouse.

And for the love of God...copy and paste!? I mean how hard is it. This feature is becoming the 2 button mouse of Apple's touch devices.

TheDPR
Sep 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
Why is it so hard for everyone to understand that adding Mic functionality cannot be done with just a software update. ...

It isn't that people don't understand it technically. It is that we don't understand why in the world Apple would have designed its product line this way.

Do you really think that when they designed the first iPod Touch that they had no inkling they would ever consider adding line in or mic capability someday? If they didn't, they should have. If they did, and still decided to go with hardware that would never support such an add-on, then there is only one reason they did it this way.

ricardo.hudson
Sep 11, 2008, 04:38 PM
I think it was clear that the new iPods all are compatible with the new headset - there is a reason why the headset has a microphone built into it and why they were mentioned as all compatible with the headset... maybe with a stretch of the imagination because they are compatible with it??

lozion
Sep 11, 2008, 05:17 PM
can anybody tell me how VOiP works. I know it allows you to make calls using WiFi, but my main question is if it is free to make those calls or not. Also, what would the number show up as. Thanks.

I'd like to know this as well. Outgoing calls ok, but receiving?

veosotano
Sep 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hi,

The 20Hz to 20,000Hz range was arbitrarily decided by those who invented digital conversion so as to save space. I seem to remember hearing that CD's should have been slightly larger so as to accommodate a higher frequency but the bean counters won out. Before that there wasn't an artificial ceiling (or basement) during the recording process, and the lowly tape reel was able to capture sound waves well over 20,000Hz. A lot of audiophiles swear that analog recordings and playback sound better due the recordings' ability to play back the sounds you can't hear.

Yes, and no. It may have been imposed arbitrarily, but you should take a hearing test. You'd be surprised!!!

Actually, nowadays sound is used to be captured at sample rates of up to 96kHz, which would make us able to reproduce sounds up to 48kHz. Still, audiophiles think analog audio sounds better. But that's a whole another story, completely unrelated to frequency range.

VS

nanoboy
Sep 13, 2008, 07:16 AM
So can anyone confirm yet if the mic and in fact the remote on the headset will work on the Touch? :confused:

bergy
Sep 13, 2008, 01:42 PM
So can anyone confirm yet if the mic and in fact the remote on the headset will work on the Touch? :confused:

I'm waiting for confirmation on this as well . If the new Ipod Touch can do voip I will be buying one.

mackmgg
Sep 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
I'm waiting for confirmation on this as well . If the new Ipod Touch can do voip I will be buying one.

its now been confirmed! although i thought is was clear enough on teh website and keynote but guess not

lozion
Sep 28, 2008, 06:54 PM
its now been confirmed! although i thought is was clear enough on teh website and keynote but guess not

How? What app?
Details please...

Cheers,

Nick D
Sep 29, 2008, 10:56 AM

Once again the disassemble pics show that it is a Broadcom BCM4325 Bluetooth chip.

The disassembly pics dont say anything about the headphone jack being different... they just mention that its there. So wut the hell r u talkin bout

Nick D
Oct 9, 2008, 08:38 PM
So for anyone who has bought these headphones, do they work with the iPhone? If they do, do all of the controls work or just the mic/button?

applesith
Apr 4, 2009, 01:55 PM
Can you use the new headphones with microphone on the 1G iPod touch?

Mackilroy
Apr 5, 2009, 03:08 PM
Holy gravedig Batman!

A quick trip to Apple's website would've given you the answer (http://www.apple.com/ipod/inearheadphones/).

MrSEC
Apr 6, 2009, 11:33 PM
Can you use the new headphones with microphone on the 1G iPod touch?

The remote and mic are supported only by iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (120GB), and iPod touch (2nd generation). The remote is supported by iPod shuffle (3rd generation). Audio is supported by all iPod models

scottness
Apr 6, 2009, 11:39 PM

You can via skype. Works great, so far. If you subscribe to skypein, you get a phone number where people can call you from landlines. Only works when the app is running, though. Will go to voicemail otherwise. Not bad, I'm using it on my iPhone.