Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourcolourblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience importing layered psd's into InDesign before? I've always done "fancy" text effects directly in Photoshop but now need to combine this with straight InDesign pages.

It all seems to work fine (as you can see from the screen shot) but when you export this as a pdf, you get a hairline white box round it when viewed in Preview or Acrobat.

It doesn't print, but its quite worrying thats its even there on screen.

I've got quite a bit of time before this job goes to print but it would be good to know this isn't going to cause problems the same way drop shadows do to text in InDesign.

Anyones help or expertise would be greatly appreciated

2845323679_1c47310e2f_o.jpg

iCol

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
London, UK
This is due to the PDF compatibility. When exporting, make sure that the 'Compatibility' is set to at least 'Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5)'.

This should get rid of the white lines

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'm old-school, but I use layered PSDs during the design stage, then flatten them and save as tifs once a jobs approved. I just don't trust Indesign's flatterner.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
just save a psd file and a flat tiff. Use the flat tiff for the final. Using psd files may work, but it can do weird things when it gets to the plating process and also when exporting.

fourcolourblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
thanks all.

i think some of you missed exactly what i meant though. the psd has multiple effects on the type though. in this case, blur, motion blur, a mask.

the type is white, and i'm working on a black background just so i can see what is what.

i want to import only the text effect layers. in other words there is no chance i can flatten this as it'll appear with a black box.

my query is whether anyone has left the layered psd's in InDesign, WITH LAYERS TURNED OFF when making the pdf. i always leave my tiff's unflattened, but i've always used all the layers.

thanks again guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.