PDA

View Full Version : Difference between new and old iPod Classic?

shuffles
Sep 10, 2008, 02:16 PM
Is there any difference between the new classic and the old one apart from storage? I mean, if there isn't, i would defo buy the old one instead.

brn2ski00
Sep 10, 2008, 02:17 PM
Nothing at all.

EricNau
Sep 10, 2008, 02:20 PM
It would appear that there aren't any differences, but we can't know for sure.

brn2ski00
Sep 10, 2008, 02:23 PM
Definitely just get a refurbed one for $169. Its a great deal.

muldul
Sep 10, 2008, 02:27 PM
Nope, the only difference was capacity and software, but since the software update is coming to the old classic, there is no difference.

MacBass
Sep 10, 2008, 02:53 PM
With the new earbuds, the 120 GB classic allows you to change volume/pause/skip/record voice memos, where the 80 GB classic will not recognize these functions.

shuffles
Sep 10, 2008, 02:57 PM
will the 160gb recognise those functions?

aristobrat
Sep 10, 2008, 03:17 PM
will the 160gb recognise those functions?
Only looks like the new 120GB will. My guess is that the older ones weren't wired to read the commands coming from the new headphones...

shuffles
Sep 10, 2008, 03:28 PM
cool, my plan is to get a classic and get the white iphone as well. cheers.

Scepticalscribe
Sep 10, 2008, 03:44 PM
Has anyone heard anything about battery life (and difference on battery life) between the new 120GB classic, and either of the soon to be discontinued models, the 80 or 160 GB classics? I share in the general disappointment about the lack of serious attention given to this, well, classical design.
Cheers

nomad01
Sep 16, 2008, 09:34 AM
Apologies if I've missed this but I can't see where anyone has noted the change in the speed of CoverFlow on the new 120 classic.

I can whizz through my music library without seeing any blank album covers. On my old Classic, I used to have to wait a few seconds for it to catch up.

Also, the new black classic is more of a gunmetal grey than black. Quite like it but think it looks better on the new nano.

Battery life is 36 hours now according to iLounge.

bembol
Sep 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
I just picked up the 120GB Black yesterday. I think it's only the HDD & Battery Life.

I was really expecting Apple to copy the Zune (like what they did with the Nano) and change the LCD. :cool:

nomad01
Sep 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
I just picked up the 120GB Black yesterday. I think it's only the HDD & Battery Life.

Plus CoverFlow and the colour of the black iPod Classic as I mentioned. :)

combatcolin
Sep 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
I have an old 3G 40GB ipod, the last one with the buttons, tried jogging with it but after a few minutes it just packs up and you have to stand still for the Hard drive to load more muisc into the memory.

What is the anti jog features of the new iPod classic like?, which is 5 generations newer than my own.

Thanks.

Dublo7
Sep 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
Is the click wheel still as unresponsive as ever?

I-Bot
Sep 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
I think theres not much difference although there is but I think it's practically like when the 5.5 G was released and not much different from the 5 G.:apple:

Sebala
Sep 16, 2008, 12:00 PM
What is the 7G version firmware ? Is 1.12 as 6G ?

butterfly0fdoom
Sep 16, 2008, 12:18 PM
I was really expecting Apple to copy the Zune (like what they did with the Nano) and change the LCD. :cool:

I wasn't. I don't think Apple's all that comfortable with people shaking and tilting the classic. Kinda increases the chances of damaging the hard drive, y'know.

Scepticalscribe
Sep 16, 2008, 01:01 PM
Good to learn that the battery has improved, even though the battery of the old classic seemed to have been quite good.

Has anyone had any experience of the new inbuilt mic outlet, or any thoughts on what it might be able to offer? As a feature, does it add hugely to the new 120Gb classic?

Cheers

Loge
Sep 16, 2008, 01:27 PM
I think theres not much difference although there is but I think it's practically like when the 5.5 G was released and not much different from the 5 G.:apple:

Yes, it doesn't really merit a whole G to itself - it should be the 1.5G Classic or the 6.5G iPod.

I would be interested if anyone's getting the random pause issue with the 120GB model. No reports yet.

pol0001
Sep 16, 2008, 01:37 PM
I have an old 3G 40GB ipod, the last one with the buttons, tried jogging with it but after a few minutes it just packs up and you have to stand still for the Hard drive to load more muisc into the memory.

What is the anti jog features of the new iPod classic like?, which is 5 generations newer than my own.

Thanks.

Don't go jogging with an iPod Classic. :eek: You risk HD damage. Like the big HDs for computer, the once in the iPod have this tiny needle to read the data.
If you need an iPod for jogging, get one with a flash drive.

madmaxmedia
Sep 16, 2008, 01:45 PM
Apologies if I've missed this but I can't see where anyone has noted the change in the speed of CoverFlow on the new 120 classic.

I can whizz through my music library without seeing any blank album covers. On my old Classic, I used to have to wait a few seconds for it to catch up.

Also, the new black classic is more of a gunmetal grey than black. Quite like it but think it looks better on the new nano.

Battery life is 36 hours now according to iLounge.

Thanks for that info! Prices are tempting for old 80GB models, but I went ahead and splurged on a 120GB for Genius and extra space. I had also read elsewhere about the improvement in CoverFlow, but not nearly as definitive as yours. Reading this makes me feel even better about my decision.

According to iLounge, the transfer speed is faster too. Although this is not nearly as significant, as the HD iPods were always really fast at transfers. I loved my 32GB iPod Touch (1st gen), but it was SLOWWWWWW at transfering music and movies.

elmateo487
Sep 16, 2008, 03:46 PM
i finally found a review of the stupid thing... as previously mentioned, iLounge did a very thorough review.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipod-classic-120gb/P0

Scepticalscribe
Sep 16, 2008, 04:25 PM
i finally found a review of the stupid thing... as previously mentioned, iLounge did a very thorough review.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipod-classic-120gb/P0

Excellent and informative review; thanks for posting it, as it certainly answers many of the questions that I had.
Cheers

nomad01
Sep 17, 2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks for that info! Prices are tempting for old 80GB models, but I went ahead and splurged on a 120GB for Genius and extra space. I had also read elsewhere about the improvement in CoverFlow, but not nearly as definitive as yours. Reading this makes me feel even better about my decision.

Actually I take back what I said about CoverFlow. I'd only previously tried it while nothing was playing. Used it today while playing some songs and it doesn't seem much different to the previous gen Classic. Ah well. :-(

madmaxmedia
Sep 17, 2008, 10:38 AM
Actually I take back what I said about CoverFlow. I'd only previously tried it while nothing was playing. Used it today while playing some songs and it doesn't seem much different to the previous gen Classic. Ah well. :-(

LOL. Oh well, I didn't find myself using Cover Flow that much on my old Classic anyway. I like having it as a spiffy effect to play with no and then, but it's not that practical in regular use.

How does the new Classic sound compared to the old one?

nomad01
Sep 17, 2008, 10:44 AM
How does the new Classic sound compared to the old one?

Hmmm... sounds fine to me. :o

Not done a side by side comparison though. If there'd been an issue or an improvement I'd have hoped iLounge would have picked up on it.

averyml
Sep 17, 2008, 10:55 AM
Is the way on-the-go playlists handled any different? Since I wouldn't use the genius playlists, and my previous mp3 player was a quite sufficient 20 gigs, I decided to buy the suddenly cheaper 80g classic, and was disappointed to find that I could not add the currently playing song to my on-the-go playlist. However, at the apple store last weekend, it seemed the new 120g ones are capable of doing this. Then I read a post from a couple months ago from someone who said their ipod nano used to let them add the currently playing song, and then suddenly didn't, so I'm hoping maybe it's a bug...can anyone clear this up for me?