Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
Is there any difference between the new classic and the old one apart from storage? I mean, if there isn't, i would defo buy the old one instead.

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
With the new earbuds, the 120 GB classic allows you to change volume/pause/skip/record voice memos, where the 80 GB classic will not recognize these functions.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Has anyone heard anything about battery life (and difference on battery life) between the new 120GB classic, and either of the soon to be discontinued models, the 80 or 160 GB classics? I share in the general disappointment about the lack of serious attention given to this, well, classical design.
Cheers

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Apologies if I've missed this but I can't see where anyone has noted the change in the speed of CoverFlow on the new 120 classic.

I can whizz through my music library without seeing any blank album covers. On my old Classic, I used to have to wait a few seconds for it to catch up.

Also, the new black classic is more of a gunmetal grey than black. Quite like it but think it looks better on the new nano.

Battery life is 36 hours now according to iLounge.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I just picked up the 120GB Black yesterday. I think it's only the HDD & Battery Life.

I was really expecting Apple to copy the Zune (like what they did with the Nano) and change the LCD. :cool:

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Anti Jog?

I have an old 3G 40GB ipod, the last one with the buttons, tried jogging with it but after a few minutes it just packs up and you have to stand still for the Hard drive to load more muisc into the memory.

What is the anti jog features of the new iPod classic like?, which is 5 generations newer than my own.

Thanks.

I-Bot

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
My City
I think theres not much difference although there is but I think it's practically like when the 5.5 G was released and not much different from the 5 G.:apple:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good to learn that the battery has improved, even though the battery of the old classic seemed to have been quite good.

Has anyone had any experience of the new inbuilt mic outlet, or any thoughts on what it might be able to offer? As a feature, does it add hugely to the new 120Gb classic?

Cheers

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I think theres not much difference although there is but I think it's practically like when the 5.5 G was released and not much different from the 5 G.:apple:

Yes, it doesn't really merit a whole G to itself - it should be the 1.5G Classic or the 6.5G iPod.

I would be interested if anyone's getting the random pause issue with the 120GB model. No reports yet.

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London
HD + Jogging = Bad Idea

I have an old 3G 40GB ipod, the last one with the buttons, tried jogging with it but after a few minutes it just packs up and you have to stand still for the Hard drive to load more muisc into the memory.

What is the anti jog features of the new iPod classic like?, which is 5 generations newer than my own.

Thanks.

Don't go jogging with an iPod Classic. :eek: You risk HD damage. Like the big HDs for computer, the once in the iPod have this tiny needle to read the data.
If you need an iPod for jogging, get one with a flash drive.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Apologies if I've missed this but I can't see where anyone has noted the change in the speed of CoverFlow on the new 120 classic.

I can whizz through my music library without seeing any blank album covers. On my old Classic, I used to have to wait a few seconds for it to catch up.

Also, the new black classic is more of a gunmetal grey than black. Quite like it but think it looks better on the new nano.

Battery life is 36 hours now according to iLounge.

Thanks for that info! Prices are tempting for old 80GB models, but I went ahead and splurged on a 120GB for Genius and extra space. I had also read elsewhere about the improvement in CoverFlow, but not nearly as definitive as yours. Reading this makes me feel even better about my decision.

According to iLounge, the transfer speed is faster too. Although this is not nearly as significant, as the HD iPods were always really fast at transfers. I loved my 32GB iPod Touch (1st gen), but it was SLOWWWWWW at transfering music and movies.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Thanks for that info! Prices are tempting for old 80GB models, but I went ahead and splurged on a 120GB for Genius and extra space. I had also read elsewhere about the improvement in CoverFlow, but not nearly as definitive as yours. Reading this makes me feel even better about my decision.

Actually I take back what I said about CoverFlow. I'd only previously tried it while nothing was playing. Used it today while playing some songs and it doesn't seem much different to the previous gen Classic. Ah well. :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.