PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 USB 2.0 Question

MasonMI
Sep 10, 2008, 08:50 PM
I recently bought a used powerbook G4 and I notice it doesnt have any USB 2.0 ports just the 1.1 ports is there any way to upgrade the USB ports on the powerbook G4? I have the 867MHZ 1G RAM and a 100GB HD.

Hrududu
Sep 10, 2008, 08:55 PM
I'm pretty sure its not possible without replacing chips on the motherboard. I'd just suggest selling and buying a faster one. If its a 12" Powerbook, then just bump yourself up to the 1GHz model and you'll get the 2.0 ports plus the mini DVI video upgrade.

cv66seabear
Oct 22, 2008, 01:36 AM
"Sell it and buy a new one." Wow.
I love my PB Titanium, and it's only a 500MhZ. I did upgrade the ram and added a 250 GB HD, but the usb ports don't bother me.
You didn't say which model you own, but you also have the FW option.
Perhaps you don't truly need usb 2.0, everything I have works fine and the loss of speed is not really noticeable.
If you need the speed and I guess if you have the means - why not trash a perfectly good machine and buy a new one?

I did come across a usb replacement once - if I find it again, I'll let you know!

cv66seabear
Oct 22, 2008, 01:43 AM
I think this will work, you can always call and ask OWC, they generally have pretty good techs (although I have had one that they must have just hired).

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IOGear/GUF202/

You'll have to have a slot.

California
Oct 22, 2008, 03:25 AM
Yeah, I might still have one of those 2.0 USB card buses from my Titanium.

They work pretty well. Just stick in the pc slot on the side.