Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I'm still waiting for a local store to get the iPod touches, though I'm dreading every minute of it. Anyhow, in the mean time I'm trying to figure out everything I should get, ie cases, music, etc. My final thing I'm trying to decide on is if I should get a wall charger. I don't like to charge using my computer because, well I don't really know I just don't like charging that way. Anyhow, since I already have a bunch of MP3 players and wanted to avoid have a ton of chargers as well, I bought a charger from Walmart that can charge any USB device. However, I'm a little concered if this will be safe for the iPod Touch. I've read a lot of people having problems with charging, I never leave it on the charger overnight or anything like that, but I'm just concered if it is okay to use. This is what I have now: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5750794

Also, what other things should I really look into getting besides a case (I know I have to have that)

Also, regarding cases, is silicone a good way to go? I bought my brother a phone this year and the only case they had in stock was a silicone case, I really liked how it looked and everything, but the second I put it in my pocket it was covered in lint and soap powder. It just seemed to attract everything. Is that how the silicone cases are for the iPods as well? I've not bought anything silicone since (although I've not really noticed this on the silicone cases for my Wii-Mote) because I think it looks awful and the only way to get it off was wet my fingers and wipe it off.

Thanks!!!

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Thanks for the link to that charger. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I read people's comments on it(overwhelmingly positive reviews) and many said they used them with their ipods. I'm going to pick one of these up.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I got a black leather carrying case for my ipod touch. It has a magnetic face guard and attaches to your belt or side of your pants/shorts. It works for me and prevents it from scratching. It also came with a clear plastic face shield(whatever it is called) so the original face won't get scratches on it. It is made by Griffin and I bought it at WalMart for $20.

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks... That gives me one thing I can check off of my shopping list :p Now I'm going to wait and see what WalMart will have for cases when I buy everything, I'm hoping they will have something so I don't have to order it. I have one already and really like it. Its nice because you can charge two devices at once, plus it stores really easy, the wall plug folds up so it is pretty square and flat. It is so much nicer than having to use the computer, plus I can put it somewhere out of the way and don't have to worry about knocking my stuff off of my desk or anything like that.

The main reason I asked about silicone is because I noticed that the new lineup for Belkin has a lot of really cool silicone cases. I'm already planning to get a clear case that covers the whole thing (My local Walmart had a case from Griffin that was clear plastic and covered the back and sides with a special screen protector to protect the screen, I'm hoping to get something like this) I also plan to get at least one leather case... This is what I have for all of my other players now and I really like them, they look nice and work well... But, I was also hoping to get a silicone case, mainly because the rest of my players are not Apples and therefore finding accessories isn't too easy and my options are limited. It will be a dream finally having something Apple, hopefully I can find things locally fairly easy as well.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.