PDA

View Full Version : Genius is a genius marketing scheme

cualexander
Sep 10, 2008, 11:31 PM
Think about it. Even though its anonymous, Apple still has loads of data now on what people's libraries are composed of. When you start Genius, it sends your entire library of song information to itunes.

All they do is have to datamine all this collective information and they can use it to predict what will sell. The users are collecting the data for Apple. All the work is done for them.

Seriously, they should win an award for this idea. It's going to be one of the largest scale music marketing enterprises in existence.

Aranince
Sep 10, 2008, 11:33 PM
Apple is a company, they are out to make money, surprise! I personally Like how it recommends songs. I want to be able to know what to buy if I want to expand my library.

Apple Ink
Sep 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
What do you mean by what will sell.... all they have to do is upload everything new as soon as its released by the record company/production house and put it on iTunes!

But yes when they suggest new songs through the genius sidebar... thats marketing!

vandlism
Sep 10, 2008, 11:43 PM
It gets better than that. You'll notice that Genius creates a nice mix, but certain artists always go hand-in-hand. So after a while you'll decide to expand your music collection a bit because Genius can only benefit by having more songs to work with. That's when you pop open the Genius sidebar to get some new tunes.

cualexander
Sep 10, 2008, 11:47 PM
You are right, I'm really giving too much credit to the end user really. These days you can make a song about doing drugs and abusing women and everyone eats it up. Even if it isn't music. People are such sheep.

I am not being critical of Apple. I am praising them for their brilliance. Personally though, I think the algorithm isn't that great and its more about selling more tracks.

I think the real key here is they can track not only your purchases from itunes, which they already could. But they can track your entire library.

notjustjay
Sep 10, 2008, 11:50 PM
Hasn't Amazon been using this sort of tracking/suggesting algorithm for some time now?

TwinCities Dan
Sep 10, 2008, 11:57 PM
At first I thought it was a lil' too "Big Brother" but after checkin' it out, it's pretty cool... :cool:

TomP80
Sep 11, 2008, 12:38 AM
Good business for Apple - and a great feature for iTunes. Personally I don't have a problem with it at all.

And its not like you can't turn it off if you don't like the idea.

PCMacUser
Sep 11, 2008, 12:55 AM
I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist sometimes. I don't use Facebook much for this exact reason.

But 'Genius' rocks. It's exactly what I've needed for a long time. I just hope they make it available to existing iPod Classic owners as a firmware update. Shame on Apple if they don't. The only difference is the HDD size.

andrea25
Sep 11, 2008, 06:30 AM
Genius sucks. Use Last.fm, it's far more precise and efficient.

Sdashiki
Sep 11, 2008, 07:40 AM
I much preferred what mp3.com used to have a long while ago.

It was a flash type application where youd give it a band, even the most obscure, and it would visualize this gigantic map of lines and orbs. The lines connected orbs to one another, the larger the orb, the more like the band you chose.

Sometimes it gave you nothing. Other times it gave you connections that reached so far you could go from Radiohead to Wu Tang.

I dont know what happened to that. I discovered alot of new bands that way.

TwinCities Dan
Sep 11, 2008, 01:51 PM

It was a flash type application where youd give it a band, even the most obscure, and it would visualize this gigantic map of lines and orbs. The lines connected orbs to one another, the larger the orb, the more like the band you chose.

Sometimes it gave you nothing. Other times it gave you connections that reached so far you could go from Radiohead to Wu Tang.

Sounds interesting, kinda...

But what possible connection does Radiohead have with Wu-Tang? They both ate at the same McDonalds once?!? :eek: :confused:

Sdashiki
Sep 11, 2008, 02:29 PM
Sounds interesting, kinda...

But what possible connection does Radiohead have with Wu-Tang? They both ate at the same McDonalds once?!? :eek: :confused:

I meant one band was connected in a way to Radiohead, and another from Radiohead to another and another, possibly ending at Wu Tang.

It may not be a real example, but an example of the idea.

TwinCities Dan
Sep 11, 2008, 02:34 PM
Oh, like a chain effect...
Gotcha. :)

IronWaffle
Sep 11, 2008, 03:01 PM
Is this the same as or similar (http://www.liveplasma.com/) to what you're describing?