PDA

View Full Version : Q3A for X?

britboy
May 28, 2002, 07:43 AM
I've tried downloading the latest patches from macgamefiles, which supposedly allow Quake 3 Arena to be played natively under OS X. Unfortunately, it's not working. Every time i try to launch Q3, i just get a message saying 'Quake 3 Arena has unexpectedly quit...". Anyone else have more success? If so, how did you do it, and what updates are you using?

mmmdreg
May 28, 2002, 08:26 AM
works fine for me..the omnigroup has the files...it works fine for me...like just make sure ur running the actualy osx executable and not the classic one.

britboy
May 28, 2002, 08:58 AM
The link from omnigroup just takes me back to macgamefiles, where i originally got the update (1.31 b5). Yes, i'm clicking on the osx version of quake... :rolleyes:

Hemingray
May 28, 2002, 01:36 PM
And you have all the pak/pk3 files inside the folder? I had Q3A on my OS 9 partition and I had to copy all the game files over to my X partition and stick it inside my Q3A folder for it to run under X.

Draft
Jun 24, 2002, 04:40 PM
How do you install the Quake 3 stuff that updates it to work under OS X? Everytime that I try to update it gives me the message:

You need to select the installation directory for Quake3 (not any directory inside of it -- the installation directory itself).

I then select my installation directory and it gives me the same message box and doesn't do anything. Does anyone know where I could find OS X installation instructions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Draft

Draft
Jun 25, 2002, 08:44 AM
I got it to work. I installed the files from the beta 4 release in OS 9, then ran the beta 5 app, then logged back into 10 and ran the beta 5 app.

Everything works great. I don't see a performance hit, but I don't know how to view my frame rate. How do I do this?

Also, is there a Counterstrike / Tactical-Ops kind of mod for Q3?

Thanks,
Draft

G4scott
Jun 26, 2002, 10:32 AM
Does anyone here know about the urban terror mod for Quake 3, and if it works under Mac OS X?

mayaboy
Sep 2, 2003, 08:02 PM
I just installed the new 1.32 patch for Mac OSX, with 10.1 and 10.2 support. I had to move my Quake folder from the (old) OS9 Applications folder into my main Applications folder for OSX, then run the update.

Another option would have been to simply do a clean install of the retail version of Quake into your OSX applications folder, then run the update patch. Finally, you would have to drag any custom maps you may have acquired over the years from the OS9 baseq3 folder into the new OSX one.

I run a G4, and the "Quake G4" 1.32 application runs very smoothly. The whole update process took about 10 minutes and worked without a hitch. The only problem was finding a free server to download the 1.32 patch... I finally found one in Australia that took about 2 hours to download w/my cable modem! Best of Luck!

ExoticFish
Sep 2, 2003, 08:53 PM
yeah i play Q3A in OS X all the time, and yes, urban terror works fine too!

bousozoku
Sep 2, 2003, 10:51 PM
I've downloaded and applied both 1.32 patches and they've both worked just fine.

I did, however, make a copy of my Mac OS 9 Quake folder and put the patches into it, rather than trying to upgrade the old Mac OS X version.

rhpenguin
Sep 3, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
Does anyone here know about the urban terror mod for Quake 3, and if it works under Mac OS X?

Yes. Download the windows version and untar/unrar/whatever it and throw it in the mod directory.