Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
VA
ok so what i want to do is set up a list of mac address to a dhcp range. i already have the mac address set up to static ip's but was wondering instead to be able to set up a dhcp range and have to ability to just add in mac addy's when i need to. and i want to set up 2 seperate dhcp servers on the same net work.

basically if your mac address is in our network it will get one range of ip's and if it is not then it will get another.
well i guess i am asking is. is it possible and how do you do it.

thanks

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Just set each DHCP server with different ranges, and one of them will handle the DHCP reservations. So lets say 192.168.1.1 is your router and dhcp server and 192.168.1.2 is your second dhcp server you could leave .2 - .20 or whatever open for reservations and then set the range on the .1 server to be .21-.100 and the second .101-.254 or whatever you want...not sure if that's what your really asking for though.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
As stated above, your two DHCP servers should have non overlapping pools.

For restrictions into the one pool, in a normal DHCP server, you would put together a group of your hosts:

Code:
group {
    host machine1 { hardware ethernet <enter mac here separated by colons>; }
    host machine2 { hardware ethernet <enter mac here separated by colons>; }
}
, then use the
Code:
deny unknown-clients;
directive in dhcpd.conf.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
VA
sort of not really. i guess i want to have 2 different dhcp servers running different inhouse ips.

example:
server one has a set ip range of
10.0.20.1 - 10.0.20.250
and any computer can get this.

server two
10.0.5.1 - 10.0.5.250
but. i want this range to give out a number only if the computer has a mac address in a pool of address.
so if x mac addy was in the list it will get a ip from this dhcp set.
does this make since?

thanks again

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The problem may arise in that if the client may get two offers if it from both DHCP servers (for example, if it is an authorize MAC in the restricted pool).

I'd run one DHCP service and configure one pool for one group, and one pool for the other.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
VA
well one pool should not have any mac address in it. thanks for the help. i have not got a chance to try it out yet. hopefully next week i will have more time.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
well one pool should not have any mac address in it.

Correct. Associate one pool with the group specified, and one pool for the one without any MAC's defined. Run this under one DHCP service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.