Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I swear I thought it said 'the funniest iPod ever.'
:D

No, but really...is this the only ad where they've used improper grammar...or did I just miss the others?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 378

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Grammar is a malleable tool; what you learned in elementary school may no longer be valid. This is an informal add, so using "funnest" is fine.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Ask the people at "Typo Eradication Advancement League"

They'll tell you that correcting these errors can lead to your arrest.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
As long as it doesn't say "iPod Touch -- It could of been nucular", I'll let it slide...

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
As opposed to the correct grammar of "iPod Touch -- It could HAVE been nucular"
I take it you're OK with the "nucular" part then? :rolleyes:

Was that intentional on your part?
Ya think?

I can put up with minor misdemeanors like foilage, nucular and for all intensive purposes, but could/should/would of is where I draw the line. What was the point of learning a second language when the idiots who speak it on a daily basis can't even put coherent sentences together?

Googon

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
English always mutates because it is spoken everywhere in the world and there are tons of countries on other sides of the planet speaking it and we all sort of mutate and speak it our own way. It will start with accents at first, but eventually it will mutate enough to be a whole new language. It happened with latin, and spanish.

Don't be a snobby grammar geek and correct grammar, to the vast majority of the world, that is the right grammar fluently, but technically it is incorrect.

Arrgh!

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
You should also take into account that advertising is supposed to catch your attention one way or another, so non-standard English is going to be par for the course.

That said, I think it's kind of a lousy tagline. 'A little video for everyone' for the 3G Nano, by comparison, was a great little pun.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
it gets people to discuss it though and that is good.

but 'think different' is not necessarily bad grammar. think apple, think pink, think fast. like that... if you take it to mean differently, an adverb to think then yes, it is wrong. but, if you use it as a concept rather, it is perfectly fine

like: what is the meaning of different. how do we define different. that sort of meaning

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Right of wrong - it got your attention and that is the purpose of advertising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.