PDA

View Full Version : iBook for travel or just take the fancy MBP??

CMD is me
Sep 11, 2008, 05:18 PM
I work off of a MacBook Pro. As much as it is a portable, I hate to take such an expensive computer on vacations just for email/surfing and having work files with me (just in case). It is nice to have it for viewing photos taken/backing up.... but what about buying a used 12" iBook? G4s can be had pretty cheaply.

Would a G4 iBook run CS3 for light work? How are the LCD's compared to more recent portables? Do most have 802.11g cards or 802.11b?

Perhaps going back 3-5 yrs is only asking for problems in another 2-3, but considering it as an option.

spinnerlys
Sep 11, 2008, 05:39 PM
iBooks with a G4 processor can handle CS3 quite enough, if you don't handle 12MP RAW images of course.

Max out the RAM to 1.25 GB.

But the hard drive can be a problem, mine started to quit on me after three years (it's still working but sometimes clicks and hangs up the system).

And the battery is worn out too.

But other than that it is an okay machine for surfing and so on.

quasinormal
Sep 11, 2008, 06:41 PM
I'd take the MBP personally. I take mine everywhere but only expect 12-18 months before i replace it. They tend to be rather messed up by then.

The G4 iBooks all had 802.11G . The last revision 1.33Ghz 12" with 2 finger scrolling and bluetooth is the obvious best choice. The screen is significantly dimmer than the LED MBP screens.