PDA

View Full Version : G4 12" powerbook spares...

kristiaand
Sep 11, 2008, 06:36 PM
hi everyone, wondering if someone can help me out abit. im after some spares for the above mac laptop

i need a power cord (uk), a new battery and a new hard drive...

at the moment i have replaced the failed 40Gb hard disk with an old 20Gb one i had knocking around but what i would like to know is whats the maximum size drive i can squeeze into it?

also any good suggestions on where in the UK i can get a battery n charger i found some on ebay but there all from hongkong and im abit worried about reliability

its the 800Mhz PPC version, can i run leopard on there or is the preformance lag not worth the little extras you get? im running a upto date tiger version at the mo

any help would be brilliant

TEG
Sep 11, 2008, 06:41 PM
Which power cord? The one from the brick to the wall, or the brick to the computer? There are many places that have them available, and will even work with the connector on the Apple blocks so you can use the old one to connect to the power outlet/mains. Any brick will work, as they will convert 120 and 240 for the computer.

Pretty much whatever the largest PATA 2.5" hard drive you can find should work, although I would not go much above 120GB.

Leopard required an 867 or better to install, officially. It isn't worth it to try to cram it on to the slower system.

TEG

Hrududu
Sep 11, 2008, 06:45 PM
Which power cord? The one from the brick to the wall, or the brick to the computer? There are many places that have them available, and will even work with the connector on the Apple blocks so you can use the old one to connect to the power outlet/mains. Any brick will work, as they will convert 120 and 240 for the computer.

Pretty much whatever the largest PATA 2.5" hard drive you can find should work, although I would not go much above 120GB.

Leopard required an 867 or better to install, officially. It isn't worth it to try to cram it on to the slower system.

TEG
If its a 12" then its 867MHz. I've got an 867MHz 12" and it runs Leopard pretty well. However, erase and install rather than going over top of Tiger or an older OS. Not only will it save you HD space, but mine ran A LOT faster that way. Buy a 1Gb stick of RAM to get it maxed out and you'll have a good little laptop. I love mine, and I'll probably get a faster one eventually just because I use it a lot more than I thought I would.