PDA

View Full Version : The Changing Face of Movies

Macmaniac
May 28, 2002, 11:06 AM
Two days ago me and my dad and sister went to to a movie in Lake Placid New York. Lake Placid is home to a wonderful old movie theater called the "Palace". I'm sure some of the older people will remember the days when the theaters had big marquees with hundreds of lights on them. This was one of those theaters. When we arraived at the theater there was a big line out the door and you could almost feel the excitement building outside. We were going to see Star Wars at the theater and we slowly inched forward. The inside of theater looked like and Opera house. The walls were covered with big paintings and pictures of flowers. The ticket stand was a true classic and it seemed to shine. An old man in a clean and tidy uniform pointed us into the theater. The theater which we went into looked like and Opera house stage with a very tall ceiling. There were no coomercials as we sat there waiting an when the movie started thier were only 3 previews and no additional commercials for cars or food. I left the theater thinking how these theaters are a dying breed and how sad it is. America has truely lost some with our Big Multiplexs. Sometimes things change for the worse.

Support your local small theater, enjoy them while you can.

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 11:10 AM
I agree, to a point. We have a great old theater here in DC, the Uptown, that's pretty much the same thing. All the major movie opennings happen there, crowds are usually huge - people waited in line for weeks to be the first to see EP2 there. And its the only theater in DC that I know of that still has a balcony. I prefer that over the other theaters, except the newer, stadium seating ones, which have started to pop up around the area.

You do go to see the movie, not view the decor, but not seeing comercials and 5 previews would be nice. There was I time when I used to remember getting cartoons before the show, its sad they don't do that anymore.

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 11:13 AM
i've been in 2 theaters in nyc that aren't the major companies.... one, the angelika, isn't really old fashioned, it just happens to show indie movies and is very good for that fact.

the other, "the screening room", was similar, but had even more independent type movies (documentaries and such) and i think it shows breakfast at tiffany's every brunch on sundays.... but i'm not sure...

in general, it's about the movies. not the theater.... the commercials need to go though.

Macmaniac
May 28, 2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I agree, to a point. We have a great old theater here in DC, the Uptown, that's pretty much the same thing. All the major movie opennings happen there, crowds are usually huge - people waited in line for weeks to be the first to see EP2 there. And its the only theater in DC that I know of that still has a balcony. I prefer that over the other theaters, except the newer, stadium seating ones, which have started to pop up around the area.

You do go to see the movie, not view the decor, but not seeing comercials and 5 previews would be nice. There was I time when I used to remember getting cartoons before the show, its sad they don't do that anymore.

I would like to see cartoons again, what happened to the days of the nickel movie?

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac

I would like to see cartoons again, what happened to the days of the nickel movie?

its called inflation. I'm not that old to know about going to see a movie when it was a nickel. I do remember candy (regular candy bars, bag of m&ms) being 9 though. Now that was nice.

alex_ant
May 28, 2002, 03:21 PM
You know what, I wouldn't even notice if the movie theater vanished altogether. I am one of the six people on the face of the planet who is just as content watching a film on a blurry old 13" monophonic television as on a massive theater screen with 200-channel surround sound. I actually sold my DVD player because I didn't care about any of the new features it provided. I took down my surround speakers because I found them distracting. In my opinion, a sharp, high-resolution picture and glistening surround sound only distracts me from the movie.

Although most would call me a luddite, I can't even begin to express how much money this mindset has saved me... sorry if this is off-topic - I didn't realize it might go off-topic when I started writing it. :)

I do think it's a bit sad that the multiplexes are edging out the smaller, more historic and "pure" theaters, but it's just that it doesn't affect me as much as it does many others. One small theater in my area survives by showing obscurities, classics, foreign films, etc., and if I were to be forced to go to a theater, there is no place I would rather go. Jerry Bruckheimer Pushes the Boundaries of Inanity, or a BETTER foreign film (and most foreign films are better than Hollywood dreck, these days), at a lower price? The decision isn't too tough for me.

Alex

firewire2001
May 28, 2002, 05:17 PM
i cant really call this a classic theatre but theres a really cool theatre in la called the dome or something like that.. this place is huge.. and i mean HUGE. the screen has an aspect ratio of 16:9 (like a regular theatre :p) and it like a few hundred feet across... you do the math...

i saw the movie galaxy quest there and even thought the place was so huge, they had great surround sound...

i guess id jus mention that...

3rdpath
May 28, 2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by firewire2001
i cant really call this a classic theatre but theres a really cool theatre in la called the dome or something like that.. this place is huge..

its the cinerama dome on sunset blvd. and yes, its huge.

there are some great theatres here in l.a.

amonmg them is the new Arclight which has big comfy-well spaced seats, reserved seating, ushers that really care if someones talking too loudly and no commercials. theres a cafe with adult beverages in the lobby-gotta like that.

in dallas theres a place called the granada which is the coolest...the chairs are gameroom chairs on wheels and you can arrange them around tables. they have waiters who serve pizza and beer while the movie's playing. they only play second run movies but at the rate i see movies, whats the difference...
:)