Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Likely is it that the Updates i "starred" would be in the next Macbook??

• Very Likely - (75% or higher)

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Not Very Likely - (25% or less)

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Could go Either Way - (50% chance either way)

Votes: 21 32.8%

• Total voters

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I am waiting for the Macbook of my Dreams before i make the switch to Apple -- since you guys are experts, please tell me what you think about the following features that could show up in the New Macbook!

Some of the things i would like to see in a new MB:

1. An Aluminum casing, with options for Anodized black (for the Black MB)

2. Backlit Keyboard

3. More RAM - up to 6 or 8 GB

4. Support for 64Bit Windows Vista (its only supported by drivers in the current MBP's)

Also, Please Vote in The Poll :D

so here's to Apple and PLEASE steve Jobs - we LOVE your ideas, but listen to us and make a better Macbook!!!!!

if all this came out for the MB then i would buy it because it would be the laptop of my dreams

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I take it you aren't very smart nor realistic. You made this exact post last night and people laughed at you. I guess some like the attention they get.

it was because i made a type that said i wanted BIG price cuts -- pplz made fun of me saying "he wants a $1 Macbook"

jeez some people are mean! :mad:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
:apple:1. Aluminum casing with an OPTION to ANODIZE the ALuminum for Black Macbook!!!!

Aluminum? Probably. Black aluminum? No.

:apple:2. Backlit Keyboard similar to the MBA - but this is assuming that the keys are the SAME color as the casing -- cuz the MBA looks ugly cuz of discolored keys... =(

Backlit KB is not likely on the MB, it's one of the things that differentiates the MB and the MBP.

:apple:3. 7200 RPM Drive Option for 200/250GB [many base laptops have this]

Maybe.

4. Intel's NEW 180GB Solid State Disk!!! [this was released for Intel at the same price of a 32 GB SSD -- about $450]

No.

:apple:5. Faster Processor --> atleast 2.8 Ghz Core2Duo - MAYBE an option for a Mobile Quadcore processor(not likely at all)

You said it yourself. Quad not likely, I don't even think it is on the market. 2.8, maybe - but it's not yet an option on the MBP.

:apple:6. Better Graphics -- atleast Intel GMA X4500 - which actually benches close to the Ge Force 8400 -- but i prefer to have a dedicated card - cuz i play CASUAL games -- if not then atleast put a Mobile ATI card or something.

Dedicated? No. Again, a difference between the MB and MBP.

:apple:7. Up to 6GB of RAM -- atleast -- i need more than 4 GB Because i use REALLY ram intensive apps in Vista (but not graphics intensive - cuz then i would buy a MBP)

Sure, if the hardware supports it.

:apple:8. Support for 64 Bit versions of Vista (with drivers on the OS X DVD that you get!)

I thought this was supported in the current gen.

9. Price Cuts!!!! - BIG Price Cuts!!!! (about $50-100)

Nope.

10. 802.16 Wireless Infrastructure - a friend of mine is developing this and its not for the public - but compared to wireless N - you get about 12 times the Range and 4 times the speed of N - which is 20 Times the speed of g (N is 5x G) [I KNOW this one is NOT AT ALL likely - its not on the market yet.]

If it doesn't exist, why are you asking if it will be in the next MB update?

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008

No - it is onyl supported in the MBP's released POST January '08

so im guessing it's likely they release it for the MB's next update!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

No - it is onyl supported in the MBP's released POST January '08

so im guessing it's likely they release it for the MB's next update!

Then, yes, it is likely. My MB is going on two years now, so I have no support (or need) for Vista x64. Most people don't.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Might happen.

2. Backlit Keyboard

I expect this will remain a MacBook Pro feature.

There is no technical reason Apple could not offer up to 8GB, but I also think that it might remain a MacBook Pro feature (which I hope Apple will add to the MBP).

4. Support for 64Bit Windows Vista (its only supported by drivers in the current MBP's)

No reason to believe they wouldn't.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Pretty much a lot of what you listed.....is pretty much what the Macbook Pro is all about.

If you want features like that, you need to shell out the extra cash for the professional model.

starman0147

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
How likely are these too be included?

A card reader
extra USB or more
LED screen

Along with the obvious speed and graphics increase these are the things I really want to see.
I am not to fussed about the aluminum case. I would just like Apple to be a bit more realistic in their pricing of the black MB.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Dedicated? No. Again, a difference between the MB and MBP.

Not true.

Dedicated graphics are NOT one of the differences between the two in the sense that Apple is using this feature (or lack thereof) as a way to make the lines different from eachother.

The iBook had dedicated graphics, the same way the PowerBook did.

The last generation PowerBook had a Radeon 9700 in it. The last iBook had a Radeon 9550. The Radeon 9550 was basically a lower clocked Radeon 9700.

There is absolutely no reason for Apple to be using Intel GPUs other than for profit margin.

There is no justification, no reason, and no logic for them to use Intel GPUs when there is so much better out there. Even the Apple TV has dedicated graphics. The iPhone and iPod touch have dedicated graphics processors!

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
I am waiting for the Macbook of my Dreams before i make the switch to Apple -- since you guys are experts, please tell me what you think about the following features that could show up in the New Macbook!

2. Backlit Keyboard

Also, Please Vote in The Poll :D

so here's to Apple and PLEASE steve Jobs - we LOVE your ideas, but listen to us and make a better Macbook!!!!!

if all this came out for the MB then i would buy it because it would be the laptop of my dreams

First off, I want to ask how old are you?

Chandler Adaway

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Beaumont, TX
First off, I want to ask how old are you?

Just curious..
What does it matter?

Whether or not he is 6 or 60, it wouldn't make a difference.

Not all kids are dumb, and not all adults are smart. ;)

Sorry, the whole age descrimination on this forum is just stupid.

I'm not defending just the younger people either.
I can't STAND the, "I'm 14 and bought this myself". Really gets under my skin.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Just curious..
What does it matter?

Whether or not he is 6 or 60, it wouldn't make a difference.

Not all kids are dumb, and not all adults are smart. ;)

Sorry, the whole age descrimination on this forum is just stupid.

I'm not defending just the younger people either.
I can't STAND the, "I'm 14 and bought this myself". Really gets under my skin.

well, it would matter if he's 6 cause its against the forum rules... but other than that, ya, you're right.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I would say yes on everything except the backlit keyboard and black aluminium, both of which are 50/50.

Edit: Oh and the stuff you removed from your post because you realised your demands were extortionately high, yeah none of that will happen.

The dedicated graphics card? Perhaps not but it has been rumoured that Apple will be using some new custom integrated graphics which kill the X4500. If they manage to get a great card into the Pro, you might be extremely lucky to see a 2400XT or something, just to make them seem more price aggressive.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Not true.

Dedicated graphics are NOT one of the differences between the two in the sense that Apple is using this feature (or lack thereof) as a way to make the lines different from eachother.

The iBook had dedicated graphics, the same way the PowerBook did.

The last generation PowerBook had a Radeon 9700 in it. The last iBook had a Radeon 9550. The Radeon 9550 was basically a lower clocked Radeon 9700.

There is absolutely no reason for Apple to be using Intel GPUs other than for profit margin.

There is no justification, no reason, and no logic for them to use Intel GPUs when there is so much better out there. Even the Apple TV has dedicated graphics. The iPhone and iPod touch have dedicated graphics processors!

The iBook had a dedicated card because it lacks a lot more than the Macbook. For example it didn't have widescreen, it has a puny 10x7 resolution, it was thicker, it was much slower. And so it didn't steal Powerbook sales. Apple in the end were forced to put all of this into the Macbook, as the iBook compared to equivalent PC laptops at the time was an utter joke.

The only way they knew they could stop the cannibalizing of Macbook Pro sales was to put in an integrated card into the Macbook.

Profit margin is not relevant in this case, they would pay about $5 a piece for a dedicated video card for a Macbook.

Do you ever get tired of trolling?

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Backlit KB is not likely on the MB, it's one of the things that differentiates the MB and the MBP.

2. Backlit Keyboard
I expect this will remain a MacBook Pro feature.
I disagree. Air has backlit keyboard, and regardless of aluminium casing, there's no reason to believe it's closer to MBP than to MB. There's price, of course, but it doesn't make it the same kind of 'Pro' product, it's rather buisness-like kind than demanding. Both MBP and MP are about high performance, while Air most definitely is not. I think pretty much every feature apart from "light and thin" that goes into MBA will likely appear in MB. My guess would be that backlit keyboard becomes a standard with next revision.

4. Intel's NEW 180GB Solid State Disk!!! [this was released for Intel at the same price of a 32 GB SSD -- about $450]
It reminds me of an old joke... when they say they're giving away red cars at Red Square in Moscow, it's almost true. Almost, because those are not red, but green, not cars, but bikes, and they aren't giving them away, they're stealing them. (You might exchange Moscow for any other city if you're offended in any way. It's just how I know this joke, no insult implied).
Intel's new SSD is 80GB and its price is $595... and it's not likely to appear in MBs, I think. Right now Apple puts Samsung's 64GB SSD in MBA, although this may change as well.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I wish people would realize that speculation of features in unannounced apple products is a waste of time.

Here is a clue for you:

NO ONE ON THIS FORUM KNOWS HOW LIKELY ANYTHING IS REGARDING NEW PRODUCTS.

now stop making these threads. Nobody but Apple knows.

wngraham

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
Nashville, TN
I wish people would realize that speculation of features in unannounced apple products is a waste of time.

Here is a clue for you:

NO ONE ON THIS FORUM KNOWS HOW LIKELY ANYTHING IS REGARDING NEW PRODUCTS.

now stop making these threads. Nobody but Apple knows.

Yeah, speculating on a website called Mac Rumors
is ridiculous....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.