Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi all,
just wondering what you use for designing Powerpoint slides? I'd prefer to wean off the "Evil empire" myself... and am wondering how many of you designers use Keynote in iWorks for slides?

Also... does iWorks08 open most MS office stuff properly now? I remember some older threads where people were having trouble, especially with Pages opening .doc files.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Sometimes Powerpoint itself, but for when I am teaching accounting, I use Excel -- any spreadsheet would do, though. Numbers would be quite nice for presentations, in fact.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I use Keynote. If I don't need control of when slides will switch, but rather a timed interval, and they are pictures, I use Final Cut Express.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
What about Quark for slide design and then exporting... does Quark 8 save with timing, music etc?

What if it was just Quark to design and then import to Keynote?

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
But,.... you are a graphic designer aren't you? Don't clients often hand on Quark files? What about clients moving across from one designer to you for some reason.... "All their projects were done in Quark". Never face this? :D

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Do you do slide design for keynote speakers? Because apparently that's a whole new growing thang in design. Also... do you use Indesign normally?

onegirlcreative

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
But,.... you are a graphic designer aren't you? Don't clients often hand on Quark files? What about clients moving across from one designer to you for some reason.... "All their projects were done in Quark". Never face this? :D

The majority of printers nowadays (at least the ones I deal with) use InDesign solely now. It appears that years ago when OS X first came about (Aqua) and Quark refused to upgrade to the new OS, they shot themselves in the foot so InDesign was born. Hence, many printers have made the switch to ID and they're much happier, as a result.

Even though I have both Quark & InDesign on my computer, I NEVER open/use Quark. Only InDesign.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I actually take the time to redo the project in ID. That's how much I hate Quark. I mean, they (through version 7) don't even have a keyboard command for selecting the various tools! That's so unproductive - I won't deal with it. Not to mention poor PDF creation (that also takes AGES compared to ID). Or generally poor user interface, that still looks like it's from the Classic days. Or the host of other annoyances.

The only thing I like about version 8 being released is that some people will use it, which at least for now gives Adobe a reason to stay competitive.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Sometimes I actually take the time to redo the project in ID. That's how much I hate Quark. I mean, they (through version 7) don't even have a keyboard command for selecting the various tools! That's so unproductive - I won't deal with it. Not to mention poor PDF creation (that also takes AGES compared to ID). Or generally poor user interface, that still looks like it's from the Classic days. Or the host of other annoyances.

The only thing I like about version 8 being released is that some people will use it, which at least for now gives Adobe a reason to stay competitive.

Ditto all that. Plus, some Quark files can be opened in ID and quickly fixed.

Krebstar

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
either in keynote itself, or in indesign with an export to PDF that is placed into keynote.

Exactly what I'm doing now for a class presentation. Actually, I then have to export to Powerpoint, since the professor demands that it's in Powerpoint, oh well, I found a work around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.