Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Hey guys,

In preparation for the new iPhone software upgrade + new iTunes, I want to do a little house cleaning. iTunes is reporting 75 apps in my library, but there are 171 files in my Mobile Applications folder. Most of them are just duplicates (new versions, etc) which I can safely delete. I'd like to just delete them ALL, but I'm wondering - how can I get them back? Would I have to re-download them one by one? And if so, is there some way I can get a list of all the apps I've purchased, without having to dig through dozens of iTMS receipts?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I took a screenshot of the iTunes Applications pages. Then deleted every application in the Finder (many were duplicated apps). Then when I redownloaded iTunes already knew I purchased them and I was not charged again.

Otherwise, select the application CMD+R will bring you to it in Finder. Delete ALL duplicates besides that one. They will say AIM 1.0.ipa - AIM 1.1.ipa - AIM 1.3.ipa delete the OLDER/LOWER versions.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Thanks for the replies, guys. It sounds like it would be a major PITA to delete everything and download them all over again, so maybe I'll just keep them around. What's 500MB of wasted space, anyway. /sarcasm

Although one good thing has come of this - I actually went through my 34 receipts for app store stuff and got everything onto a spreadsheet - turns out there's about ten apps I downloaded back in July that I had completely forgot about. Now that the iPhone will actually be able to handle them (with the 2.1 software) and install them in less than four hours, I think I'll download them again. So, some good came of this anyway. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.