Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Which one of the following technologies do think will actually become a reality throughout the industry in the near future? And do you think Apple will be the pioneers in lastest chip technology?

• Carbon Nanotubes Processors
• Laser Processors
• Hologram Processors
• Crystal Processors

~e

stoid

macrumors 601
Apple hasn't really pushed new chip technologies in their own R&D, and for the most part have relied on other companies to take care of that. Hence when Moto's G4 R&D department clowed down, Apple's G4 systems became less competitive. So, I think that while Apple likely has a hand in whatever new systems IBM is working on, the new will be coming from IBM press releases and rumors long before anyone has it sitting on their desk wrapped up in the latest Jon Ive masterpiece.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: the FUtuRe of ProCEssors?

Originally posted by eclipse525
Which one of the following technologies do think will actually become a reality throughout the industry in the near future? And do you think Apple will be the pioneers in lastest chip technology?

• Carbon Nanotubes Processors
• Laser Processors
• Hologram Processors
• Crystal Processors

~e

for apple, things will move a little faster than in the motorola days, but it will be 90 namometer processors that will be the staple for the near future and maybe longer...but that won't be so bad because i don't think "speed" per se is the "big" issue which we will have to contend with in 2004 and later

the ever constant "price" which dominated the 90s will also dominate sales in this decade and for laptops it will be price first and battery life and lightness as more minor concerns...i think somewhere down the line, processor speed will take a back seat in 4th or 5th place in the heiarchy of factors

the slower clock speed centrino processors in the pc laptops seem way more desireable than the mobile pentium 4 chips which eat more of the laptop's battery time

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
revenuee said:
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22353.html

This my friend is going to be the future.

sounds great BUT haven't heard much in the way of this, since the article. you would think something this promising might be discussed alittle more.

I think the nano-carbon tubes are going to make big changes in the near future.

If everyone where to FOCUS on one future technology to change the course of computing, what technology should they all focus on?

~e

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
i say we use crystals to hold that data. Hey, they used it in Krypton. :D

I also say, let's make that DNA computing happen soon. Biotech is the future.

~e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.