PDA

View Full Version : Who Gets off for MLK day?

Stelliform
Jan 18, 2004, 08:21 PM
Down here, I am thinking that there will be no mail or banks tomorrow, but most businesses will be open. No schools will.

We will be getting off a couple of days for Mardi Gras around a month, so most businesses can't justify taking off tomorrow. However it will be slower than normal since banks and mail will be closed.

Kwyjibo
Jan 18, 2004, 08:23 PM
my university has tomorrow off and classes start tuesday. i've got plenty to do because i'm moving back in tomorrow

eyelikeart
Jan 18, 2004, 08:26 PM
I've got plenty of work to keep me occupied tomorrow. ;)

rainman::|:|
Jan 18, 2004, 08:38 PM
i have the day off. but, my grandma passed away this weekend, so there'll be visitation tomorrow. so, i'm missing work for a few more days this week.

paul

Stelliform
Jan 18, 2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i have the day off. but, my grandma passed away this weekend, so there'll be visitation tomorrow. so, i'm missing work for a few more days this week.

paul

I am sorry to hear that Paul. :( My grandfather passed away two months ago.

My condolences go out to you and your family

tpjunkie
Jan 18, 2004, 09:28 PM
When I went to school, we had off for MLK Day every year, even before it was a national holiday...however, my college doesn't give us any days off at all, including memorial day, columbus day, or presidents day...

scem0
Jan 18, 2004, 09:56 PM
I don't have to go to school tomorrow :).

Gotta get a haircut and get out of the damned literary guild :rolleyes:.

scem0

latergator116
Jan 18, 2004, 10:10 PM
I don't have school tomorow either, but midterms start tuesday so I will be studying most of the day.:(

G5orbust
Jan 18, 2004, 10:16 PM
Im out monday and tuesday. Go figure, I go to a crazy private school that always has to do things differently than public schools (ex. We get Columbus Day off but not Veterans Day off)

isus
Jan 18, 2004, 10:26 PM
i get off tomorrow, but i still hafta go to work. it's a holiday, so i should make 2x pay :)

bbarnhart
Jan 18, 2004, 10:57 PM
I don't have to work tomorrow, so I'm going to vacuum, do laundry, feed the kids, organize the Xmas boxes, change oil in vehicles...

Heck, I might as well go to work tomorrow instead.

Powerbook G5
Jan 18, 2004, 11:56 PM
Am I the only one who has both a full day of school and a full day of work tomorrow?

Kwyjibo
Jan 19, 2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by isus
i get off tomorrow, but i still hafta go to work. it's a holiday, so i should make 2x pay :)

umm at the most you might get 1.5x but its not really a national holiday persay because no one insitists that even schools have the day off .. a few years ago my moms school did not. just because theres no mails and no banks doesn't mean you deserver extra pay. I would be working but i'll be in the car most of the day

TEG
Jan 19, 2004, 12:42 AM
My company has the day off, but my Mother still has to work in her office ( In the Health Care Field) so it makes sense. Also, MLK, Jr. Day IS a federal holiday, otherwise, the mail would be delivered and banks would be open. My mother gets paid 1.5x because it is a Federal Holiday, but it is manditory for her to go to work. The same is true for Columbus Day... Some places are closed and others open. Most schools/National Businesses Take MLK day off, but not Columbus Day, and those that work usually pay at 1.5x both days.

TEG

TimDaddy
Jan 19, 2004, 03:57 AM
You know, when Jesse Jackson was shaking down Toyota, that is the one good thing he could've done: Get us MLK day off! But, he was content with lining the pockets of himself, his family, and his close associates. Oh well.

krimson
Jan 19, 2004, 08:52 AM
despite all our customers being banks and lending firms, we still have to show up today :mad:

eyelikeart
Jan 19, 2004, 09:11 AM
It turns out I had to cancel one thing for another this morning, thus I am home until the afternoon. :D

voicegy
Jan 19, 2004, 10:39 AM
Happy MLK Day everyone.

I work for the school district, so I'm off.:)

eyelikeart
Jan 19, 2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by voicegy
Happy MLK Day everyone.

I work for the school district, so I'm off.:)

ha yeah...

us janitors don't get that luxury... ;)

wdlove
Jan 19, 2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel

paul

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma Paul. May she rest in peace. I pray that you and your family might be comforted.

My wife ended up having to take the day off because of over staffing. She had to also take earned time.

mactastic
Jan 19, 2004, 12:29 PM
Wife (9th grade teacher) is off. I'm (designing houses that need to break ground soon) working all day.

MrMacMan
Jan 19, 2004, 03:02 PM
I'm off from school... ah well... Its for the Best.

Thank you Martin Luther King.

You changed the world for the better.

:)

jefhatfield
Jan 20, 2004, 01:59 AM
i thought i would have a quiet mlk day until i got a call from a frantic computer repair customer

but that's what happens when you have a business...there are no guaranteed holidays but it is no disrespect to martin luther king...when i was a kid, he was in the news a lot but i was too young to know why he was so important in american history

and when i was going thru elementary school and middle school, mlk was too recent in history to make the textbooks, but when i realized later in college who he was and i saw his speech on tv, i was astounded and in awe