Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

64days

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
For a while now I have been looking for a good, free Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (a.k.a MMO RPG) that isn't just battling monsters repetitively! and yes I have tried runescape and had some fun with it before it got taken over by a bad community(before ppl use to be helpful and generous now it's just a group of retards, some ppl are still helpful there ) and they changed most of my most of favorite parts of it.

any suggestions? and it has to be compatible with mac.

-THx

jeffuwee

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
in my experience there aren't many games that are fun that are free. and those ones that ARE free usually have cash only items where people who pay a bit get stronger items and such. but yeah runescape = epic fail. if you want try guild wars or maybe maple story if you're desperate. but yeah guildwars you have to pay for the cd's but its free to play online.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Don't listen to his comment about MapleStory. I don't want to make myself sound like a nerd (because I'm not), but Maple Story is actually not a bad game at all. Yes, it's very cartoonish, but it's actually a really good game. Enough of a good game, atleast, to make my *******-about-MMORPGs friend play obsessively for a long time.

Anyways, I agree with the other poster otherwise. Free games are generally not that great. I found enjoyment in a game called Dark Ages for a long time, which you can play for free, but costs $10 a month for full, unrestricted play. That's about all the help I can offer, though. Also, both of those games requires Windows, so I actually am not much help at all. Sorry! :(

Edit: Oh, and Guild Wars is an awesome game. I love it.

64days

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Im pretty sure...

but remember I'm on a mac and I'm pretty sure maple story doesn't work on a
mac (except running windows via boot camp but for some strange reason it won't let me do that on my macbook >.< )

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
NY
I think, not sure, but their is a game engine for MMO-RPG, that is written in cocoa, so you can make your own free game

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A lot of Mac people recommend Minions of Mirth. There is a Mac demo, you can purchase it, and there is no monthly fee.

However honestly it did not really float my boat. Animations when I checked it out were on the crude side. Maybe it's changed since then. I've played a pretty wide assortment of MMOs- Planetside (PC), WoW, Vanguard (PC), LOTRO (PC) to name a few. Planetside and WoW were both winners.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
another addiction

Why don't you try another addiction. Like trying to get some much posts you can get an avatar. (I'm trying that :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.