PDA

View Full Version : Macs and Parties

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 02:16 PM
Ok, here's one we haven't actually done yet.

I remember one of my first parties at my old apartment and I had just bought a digital camera (we're talking 1996, so its was a while ago and the camera was a Kodak DC40 - ancient and pathetic by todays standards). But I was taking pictures of the people at the party and went upstairs to down load them and started swapping heads in photoshop. I'd change the couples heads around and that was good for a laugh. After a while I had about 15 people huddled around my computer egging me on. I couldn't keep up with the requests. Quite a lot of fun, even for being geeky.

Anyone else got any party stories that involved your mac?

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 02:32 PM
believe it or not...I have no stories involving my Mac with any parties...

I've always been fortunate enough to keep my computers away from any said occasions...he he he...

I could just picture it though...I'd end up ripping someone's head off for using my TiBook as a drink platter... :eek:

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I could just picture it though...I'd end up ripping someone's head off for using my TiBook as a drink platter... :eek:

Oh, no, that wouldn't be good. I didn't have any drinks at the computer, just had people standing around me drinking...

I do have one of my Halloween party pics on line. Didn't bring out the camera for that one, did all the pics later, scanning in photos. I was the ghoul, came out pretty good. And the woman I was with was my ex, not my wife (don't want to get in trouble there;) )

party pics (http://www.dukestreet.com/pages/blackhole/halloween/halloweenParty.html)

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 02:53 PM
ha ha ha....nice pics!

I'll have to get a shot of my infamous Halloween costume...

the baby on the old lady's back getup....I'm sure u have seen them at one point or another... :D

Backtothemac
May 28, 2002, 03:48 PM
Nothing super exciting here. I just use it when we have guests over for the music. I hook up the iMac to the 700 watt home theater, and let the music go in a random order. Hell, I have 26 days of music, so we never hear the same thing twice. Turn on the visuals, and just kick back and relax.
;)

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Nothing super exciting here. I just use it when we have guests over for the music. I hook up the iMac to the 700 watt home theater, and let the music go in a random order. Hell, I have 26 days of music, so we never hear the same thing twice. Turn on the visuals, and just kick back and relax.
;)

damn...I was impressed with my near 5 days of music...he he he... :D

I haven't had the pleasure of using my TiBook for a party yet....but when the time comes....I'll be armed & ready!! :cool:

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 03:51 PM
I actually borrowed a projector from work and had a movie party, playing DVDs up on the wall, nothing like a 10' screen, forgot about that.....

Had the audio hooked up to my Bose speakers, worked out great.

Backtothemac
May 28, 2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I actually borrowed a projector from work and had a movie party, playing DVDs up on the wall, nothing like a 10' screen, forgot about that.....

Had the audio hooked up to my Bose speakers, worked out great.

{drool}

Man, I would kill to have that type of system. Well, not really kill, but you know. My neighbor has a 47 inch HTDV, and it rocks. I have an IDTV. It is like 900 lines of resolution per inch, and looks really good on DVD's.

Hey Eye,
I have 20 gigs of MP3's man, 20.

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 04:01 PM
that is quite impressive duke... :D

so what u are telling us then is that if we have a gathering in DC....your place would be the killer party spot...right? ;)

as for u B2TM....I have about 6.5 Gig...still a damned lot by normal people's standards...he he he

Backtothemac
May 28, 2002, 04:03 PM
that is quite impressive duke... :D

so what u are telling us then is that if we have a gathering in DC....your place would be the killer party spot...right? ;)

as for u B2TM....I have about 6.5 Gig...still a damned lot by normal people's standards...he he he

Yes young Skywalker, you will learn that there is nothing normal about...oh wait....

yep your right. That is just a sick waste of time to have 20gigs of Mp3's.

he,he,....

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 04:08 PM
There was a guy across town doing the same thing, but at a much larger scale. I was out walking the dog one night and I see a bunch of guys sitting in lawn chairs drinking beer watching a 40' screen with the World Series playing!

The neighbors house was a solid white wall, 2 stories high and no windows, it was perfect. Like being at the outdoor drive in.

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 04:16 PM
it's called instant messenger my friends, ever heard of it?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

no party stories that involve macs. in fact, i hate parties. cause i hate drunk people.

how's that for sour old man eh?

once my old roommate puked under his desk and then got naked and went to bed. it took him a while to get it cleaned up.... so i just found other places to go than in my room.... it wasn't fun.

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
no party stories that involve macs. in fact, i hate parties. cause i hate drunk people.

Well, well, well, found something jello doesn't like enough to rant, imagine that. Parties can take many forms and I've been to plenty that don't end up in people puking under their desk. We have dinner parties all the time and have friends over as often as we can, its a social thing, not a drunken frat bash. Someday you'll see......

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 04:37 PM
it's called instant messenger my friends, ever heard of it?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

how's that for sour old man eh?

once my old roommate puked under his desk and then got naked and went to bed. it took him a while to get it cleaned up.... so i just found other places to go than in my room.... it wasn't fun.

:eek: wow jello...u sound like I did last week...

u feeling ok?

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 04:43 PM
Well, well, well, found something jello doesn't like enough to rant, imagine that. Parties can take many forms and I've been to plenty that don't end up in people puking under their desk. We have dinner parties all the time and have friends over as often as we can, its a social thing, not a drunken frat bash. Someday you'll see......

i realize not all parties are like that... i just meant i hate those kinds of parties.

i very much like friends getting together and doing whatever... and even family get togethers with neighbors to play board games and such are quite fun...

but yes, the standard "party" is not for me.... i didn't mean to imply that's all there is..

eye, i'm all good. just don't like drunkards. i'm not going to go on about how no one should talk and all that! booyah! :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 04:45 PM

but yes, the standard "party" is not for me.... i didn't mean to imply that's all there is..

eye, i'm all good. just don't like drunkards. i'm not going to go on about how no one should talk and all that! booyah! :rolleyes:

ah...no worries jello...I'm with u though...I'm not into a bunch of drunken @ssholes either...I much prefer to be surrounded by a few close people having some drinks then some jack@sses... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 04:47 PM
but yes, the standard "party" is not for me.... i didn't mean to imply that's all there is.

Well, I think that's your problem. My idea of the standard party doesn't have any drunks, just a bunch of people who are happy to be out, eating good food, having a good time and drinking some tasty beer and wine - I remember your other comment on how beer tastes like piss - so maybe if you actually had a better party experience you would be looking forward to them and not avioding them.

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 05:00 PM
Well, I think that's your problem. My idea of the standard party doesn't have any drunks, just a bunch of people who are happy to be out, eating good food, having a good time and drinking some tasty beer and wine - I remember your other comment on how beer tastes like piss - so maybe if you actually had a better party experience you would be looking forward to them and not avioding them.

well as i said, i don't avoid parties altogether. i just avoid ones that would have people drunk and on the floor, and girls getting harrassed by guys who are drunk... etc.

and again, i realize not all parties are like that. i like the others...

though yes, i do not feel the need/desire to have alcohol as part of my parties, but that's another issue, kind of.

i've had other party experiences. but to me i just thought of them as friends getting together and hanging out.... so yeah.

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 05:54 PM
And you know, if we get that short subject movie done this summer, I will have a screen party at my house, there will be beer and wine, and a mac, most likely my TiPB hooked up to a projector to show everyone one. And you'd be invited, so how would that sit with you?

spuncan
May 28, 2002, 05:58 PM
Actually I've had alot of parties involving Macs. Specifically lan parties which are always fun (well the 11+ hour ones are :) ) Im planing one for June 14th. so anyone in the Detroit are e-mail me.
BTW- I will mostly be high school freshman and sophmores.

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by spuncan
Actually I've had alot of parties involving Macs. Specifically lan parties which are always fun (well the 11+ hour ones are :) ) Im planing one for June 14th. so anyone in the Detroit are e-mail me.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a lan party?

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by spuncan

so is this a virual party of some sort?

I'm assuming it's internet based with the "Lan" prefix?

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 06:14 PM
And you know, if we get that short subject movie done this summer, I will have a screen party at my house, there will be beer and wine, and a mac, most likely my TiPB hooked up to a projector to show everyone one. And you'd be invited, so how would that sit with you?

well to be honest, i'm not good in groups of people i don't know... i mean, i'm not a very outgoing person unless i know the people... and then i become quite talkative and such.

so i'm not sure it'd be my idea of a great time. but if it's our project, i'm sure i'd suck it up... ha...

that's just how i be.

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 06:16 PM

well to be honest, i'm not good in groups of people i don't know... i mean, i'm not a very outgoing person unless i know the people... and then i become quite talkative and such.

I on the other hand would have a kickin' time...where do I sign up? :D

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 06:18 PM

I on the other hand would have a kickin' time...where do I sign up? :D

well, to each his/her own.

not my cup of tea. that's all

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 06:21 PM
You're not exactly geographically desirable eye, jello and I are only a few hours away from each other. We've been planning on doing a very simple live video with 3D animation short to test out our abilities in that arena. We'll post it on line when its done and if you want we'll invite you to DC for the party.

We still haven't figured out all the logistical issues, maybe over the next couple of weeks.

And don't worry jello, I'd not put you on the spot, you can stand in the shadows if you want. But you will probably meet a few of my friends if you come down to do the shoot. You both should also think of coming to the Summer Solstice Firewheel Party, build you're own firewheel, roll it down the hill......

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 06:24 PM
it's bad enough having classes where i have to sit in front of them and tell everyone what i was trying to do with such and such a shot...

but actually, i don't mind that as much as random encounters with people i don't know...

the thing is that if it's people i don't know and most likely won't see again or at least not enough to become friends, i don't usually care enough to get to know them and all that. kinda overly-introverted attitude i guess. my girlfriend's not a big fan of that aspect of me.

as for the firewheel... what that be?

i don't see the point in burning things. just does no good for the environment. out in the sticks where i live i see people burning as a way of getting rid of trash. and it's horrible..... burn that candle at both ends.

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 06:33 PM
it's bad enough having classes where i have to sit in front of them and tell everyone what i was trying to do with such and such a shot...

as for the firewheel... what that be?

I had to get over standing up describing what I was doing when I was in college getting critiqued for my architecture designs.

Did you ever see the link with the firewheel video? Its not all that bad for the environment, and a fun night.

http://www.dukestreet.com/pages/blackhole/solstice/solstice1999.html

My first digital video, done on premiere, and a 233MHz G3 mac, not very good, but it was a start.

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 06:35 PM
so what exactly is all of this for?

I'm hoping to make it out to DC later this summer or early in the fall before the semester kicks back in... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 06:39 PM
we both need to have additional items in our portfolios, it benefits us both professionally and collaborative work is always a little easier. Besides, technically, its not straightforeward enough to just go and shoot, this way we both learn a lot and have something to show for it. We'll enter it in the local DC Rosebud amateur film festival when we're finished.

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 07:15 PM
I had to get over standing up describing what I was doing when I was in college getting critiqued for my architecture designs.

Did you ever see the link with the firewheel video? Its not all that bad for the environment, and a fun night.

http://www.dukestreet.com/pages/blackhole/solstice/solstice1999.html

My first digital video, done on premiere, and a 233MHz G3 mac, not very good, but it was a start.

yeah, i actually didn't mind talking in front of the class.... i just rambled mostly.

i had seen the pics, but had been using chimera on my comp (doesn't do well with qt for some reason). but i watched em both just now on my parents imac (ie). looks interesting. cool look of the flame at night. not sure i get too fired up about fires though. never been much of a pyro myself.

and yeah, i need to add to my portfolio. to say the least.

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 07:18 PM
looks interesting. cool look of the flame at night. not sure i get too fired up about fires though. never been much of a pyro myself.

I have the past two years still to edit, they weren't as dramatic as the first year, but last years could be good, its just a matter of time to get the damn things done. Maybe I'll post them before the this years, which I'm sure Armand would love to see.

I'm a bit of a closet pyro, fireworks and such. We get to blow things up at work as well.

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 07:21 PM
I have the past two years still to edit, they weren't as dramatic as the first year, but last years could be good, its just a matter of time to get the damn things done. Maybe I'll post them before the this years, which I'm sure Armand would love to see.

I'm a bit of a closet pyro, fireworks and such. We get to blow things up at work as well.

besides the occasionaly fireworks display on the mall, i'm not even big on fireworks much...

what is the point of it all? just the fire spinning? the wheels themselves look like neat designs and stuff... sad to see it get torched...

do you put stuff inside or what?

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 07:31 PM

do you put stuff inside or what?

Armand, the host, actually goes down to the field the next day and sifts through the bits. He has a few of the left over painted pieces mounted and frames and they actually look really good. Most people paint them in fanciful designs and such.

Last year was the first use of sparklers as ignition devices, I see those coming back again this year.

But its also an art form. Here's my wheel from last year, and I didn't use any glue, its all head together by pieces of cardboard. I had some issues because one wheel support got ripped and the whole thing fell apart 40' down the hill. Not this year, redundant systems.....

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 08:06 PM
Armand, the host, actually goes down to the field the next day and sifts through the bits. He has a few of the left over painted pieces mounted and frames and they actually look really good. Most people paint them in fanciful designs and such.

Last year was the first use of sparklers as ignition devices, I see those coming back again this year.

But its also an art form. Here's my wheel from last year, and I didn't use any glue, its all head together by pieces of cardboard. I had some issues because one wheel support got ripped and the whole thing fell apart 40' down the hill. Not this year, redundant systems.....

hmm, that sounds/looks cool... kinda like pinewood derby cars.... on a bit bigger/more sophisicated scale...

is that you in the pic? you don't look the same as before.... ha.

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 08:10 PM

hmm, that sounds/looks cool... kinda like pinewood derby cars.... on a bit bigger/more sophisicated scale...

is that you in the pic? you don't look the same as before.... ha.

Yeah, that's me, same guy.

It is pretty cool. I've upped the level of entries a bit by building the non glue version. Should be interesting to see if anyone else tries it. My entry this year is going to make that one pale in comparison. I've developed a neat technique for the wheels.

Yes, I have many levels of geekness....at least I have fun!:D

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 08:13 PM
Yeah, that's me, same guy.

It is pretty cool. I've upped the level of entries a bit by building the non glue version. Should be interesting to see if anyone else tries it. My entry this year is going to make that one pale in comparison. I've developed a neat technique for the wheels.

Yes, I have many levels of geekness....at least I have fun!:D

ahh. couldn't tell really...

ha. funny how you talk about it all without giving away the details... like your little secrets and you don't want to give it away.... ha

i hope you're not implying i don't have fun! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 09:01 PM

i hope you're not implying i don't have fun! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This was a passing shot at myself in general, not you. Sorry if you misunderstood.

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 09:03 PM

This was a passing shot at myself in general, not you. Sorry if you misunderstood.

well....

1: i figured as such

2: i'd not have taken a shot from you too seriously... given your tendency to be grumpy when you don't get your bed pan swapped out...

what?!

nah. i just know you better than that. by now.