Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WSwingley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
We merrily headed out to Yodobashi to buy my wife a new model iPod Touch only to find out they have some mystical release date...

from the end of Sept. to the beginning of Oct!!! Same story at every store, including the Apple.com store.

WTF is that!?!??? This product is released in every other country but Japan, Korea, and Taiwan.

Anyone have some info on this? Anyone know a good store that ships internationally (preferably US since the price is cheapest)?

Thanks for the help guys and gals!

POWERCOM

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
Lol usually Korea, Japan and all those other ASIAN countries get every technical ******** and online games first :D Dunno what happened this time haha. You just have to wait, most of the online shops don't have the new iPod touch yet, unless you order from apple.com but I dunno if they ship to Japan when you buy it from the US-store I guess not.

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
I traveled to Japan just two months ago for a whole month on vacation, and I notice technology made in China and intended for USA/Canada initial releases are first before places like Japan (I know this is a bit odd though).

Japan rocks. But simply, you gotta wait, despite the closer proximity. But in Akihabara, Tokyo, I loved the technology there, the cell phones, etc! Luckily while i was there, I got a complimentary package from B'z, a popular band in Japan. XD

Strangely, I was around when the iPhone 3G released on the 11th near Fukuoka, same as the US.

Not worth ordering from the US Store, shipping would be a pain in the a**.

WSwingley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Yeah, US Apple store doesn't ship overseas because, of course, they rely on all the local Apple.com sites to provide.

I agree that the US-targeted stuff almost always comes here later. I gotta think it's politics more than any real issue... but you just never know here. My guess, the big shops like Yodobashi and Bic complained so much that they had a bazillion old iPod Touch in stock that they wanted to get rid of. Hence the strange non-release date.
Doesn't explain the issue in Taiwan and Korea... Could it be that they need more time on manuals or some idiotic thing like that, sheesh... I just don't know.

Thanks you two for the feedback!

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Yeah, US Apple store doesn't ship overseas because, of course, they rely on all the local Apple.com sites to provide.

I agree that the US-targeted stuff almost always comes here later. I gotta think it's politics more than any real issue... but you just never know here. My guess, the big shops like Yodobashi and Bic complained so much that they had a bazillion old iPod Touch in stock that they wanted to get rid of. Hence the strange non-release date.
Doesn't explain the issue in Taiwan and Korea... Could it be that they need more time on manuals or some idiotic thing like that, sheesh... I just don't know.

Thanks you two for the feedback!

No problem bud!
I'm jealous you're in Japan right now. I would love to go back. I went at the tail-end of the rainy season. It was an adventure of a lifetime. Went to Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima, Kitakyushu, and Fukuoka.

Ah, but it does feel good to be back in the US. I have so many friends in Japan I still talk to over email, keitai, and webcam, but it's never the same than to be with them. :D

Good luck on your adventure with getting hold of an iPod Touch there. I love the 2nd gen ones. I will pick up a 16 gig right when I know a good case comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.