PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Superbowl?

iAmAzN
Jan 19, 2004, 09:31 AM
i say patriots because they have a killer defense that took down the colts amazing offense. What do you guys think?

wdlove
Jan 19, 2004, 03:52 PM
I agree that the Patriots will win the Superbowl for the second time in 3 years. On paper Carolina and New England are very close. If I remember correctly from our local newscast that in defense it's #18 & #17. This time the Patriots are the 7 point favorite.

XnavxeMiyyep
Jan 19, 2004, 06:58 PM
I'm voting for the Patriots. They're my home team.:D

GeeYouEye
Jan 19, 2004, 07:10 PM
So who's in the Super Bowl this year anyway? I don't pay attention to it unless it's the Niners, Raiders, Cowboys, or Packers. :)

LethalWolfe
Jan 19, 2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by iAmAzN
i say patriots because they have a killer defense that took down the colts amazing offense. What do you guys think?

The Panthers beat the Colts in the regular season w/Stephen Davis going out in the first quarter.

It's going to be a good game. I'd like to see the Panthers pull it off. Both D's are great, but I think the Panthers have a more balanced offense and can both Foster and Davis can pound the ball on the ground. NE is a passing team that runs on occasion and the Panthers secondary is very tough. But NE has more playoff/superbowl experience (which can be a big advantage).

All in all I think is a very good match-up and should hopefully be a very good game.

Lethal

jefhatfield
Jan 20, 2004, 02:03 AM
pats...low score
panthers...even lower score

a real defensive battle with interceptions and hard sacks and tackles

jayb2000
Jan 20, 2004, 07:16 AM
I think that Delhomme won't be able to handle Bellicheck's defense.
The colts had a great running back, great QB, and a great receiver.
Panthers have a similar setup, with a less experienced QB, I just don't see how he will be able to deal with the Patriots.

Stelliform
Jan 20, 2004, 08:01 AM

Counterfit
Jan 20, 2004, 08:34 AM
Pats by a FG or safety.

saabmp3
Jan 20, 2004, 09:31 AM
Go Pats!

I havn't followed the season much, but I'm a Bostonian at heart so I have to vote for my home team.

BEN

jrv3034
Jan 20, 2004, 10:09 AM
I'll root for the Panthers, if nothing else because of Mac OSX!;)

Sorry, somebody had to!

LethalWolfe
Jan 20, 2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by jayb2000
Panthers have a similar setup, with a less experienced QB, I just don't see how he will be able to deal with the Patriots.

I agree that Delhomme is going to have a tough time reading the Pats D (just like every other QB this year), but the Panthers have two very good backs and NE seemed soft, at least softer, against the run. James was able to run against the Pats but the Colts were always playing from behind so he didn't get very many carries. Plus Carolina's D is much better than Indy's. On 6 scoring drives the Pats were only able to put it in the end zone once for a total of 22 points (+2 on the safety). Carolina won't give them so many chances to score. This will definetly be a defensive game and every pointed scored will be huge. I wouldn't be surprised if both teams came away w/at least one interception.

Lethal

jefhatfield
Jan 20, 2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by jayb2000

actually, neither qb will be able to read the other's defense...it will come down to who throws fewer interceptions and if the qb's don't get banged up too badly

if either qb goes down hard for the game, that will be it for that team and the defenses of both teams know that since the sackers will be cutting through the offensive lines of both teams like butter...but in games like that, defensive players who are too aggressive stand an equal chance of getting hurt and put out of the game

the more and more i reflect on it, i think this can come out to be a very ugly superbowl

i hope nobody gets hurt too bad, but then again this is american football

clubmedia
Jan 20, 2004, 01:21 PM
patriots by 17

Les Kern
Jan 20, 2004, 03:28 PM
Patriots by just over 1 bazzilion.
(Actually, in Vegas the over/under is 54,000,000,000,000,014)

QCassidy352
Jan 20, 2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
If I remember correctly from our local newscast that in defense it's #18 & #17.

what do you mean #18 and #17?

I think the Pats will take it. The Panthers won't be able to move the ball. The only reason James had success is that the defense was heavily stacked to defend against the passing game. The Pats knew that the Colt's run game couldn't beat them, only Manning could. Had the Pats wanted to stack the line and take away the run, they could have done so, and will do so against the Panthers. The Pats are going to try to make the weakest part of any opposing offense beat them. For the Colts, the weaker side was the run; for the Panthers, it's the pass.

On the other hand, the Panther's D is very good also, and the Pats will be lucky to run the ball at all. The difference is that Brady *will* be able to move the ball against the Panther's D, even if it's inconsistently. But Brady won't make mistakes and will eventually find enough holes to pick up a few points. Not a ton, but enough.

In a nut shell, the Pats will win how they always do: the defense will shut down the strongest part of the opposing offense, and dare the weaker part to beat them (and the Panther's passing just isn't that good). Meanwhile, the offense will do just enough to win, and do nothing to lose.

zarathustra
Jan 20, 2004, 05:12 PM
Patriots by 3.

gwuMACaddict
Jan 20, 2004, 06:04 PM
patriots by 14

is anyone at all calling this game for carolina anyway??

dave1234
Jan 20, 2004, 06:29 PM
I dont really follow football, but it will be the patriots...

iAmAzN
Jan 20, 2004, 06:31 PM
hmmm lets ask the magical 8-ball if the patriots will win:

Me: "Will the New England Patriots win the Superbowl?"
8-Ball: "Looks like yes"

well there you have it!

wdlove
Jan 20, 2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
what do you mean #18 and #17?

A sportscaster on WCVB just after the game said, "I have just been studying the Panthers statistics." He said that on paper they are very even with regards to rushing and defense. My example was referring to defense Panthers rank #18 and the Patriot's #17.