PDA

View Full Version : Need help attaching Powerbook G4 LCD to desktop mobo.

thosejaunes
Sep 13, 2008, 07:25 PM
I have taken apart my non-working 800MHz Powerbook G4 Titanium DVI (Ivory) and would like to use the working LCD monitor with a regular desktop motherboard. From the little information I can find on the subject, I gather that it is not often done, but I would like to try anyway.

Has anyone tried this before? I would very much appreciate any general advice/thoughts, and also specific information, if possible, about the wire configuration, power needs, etc.

Here are what the wires coming out of the screen look like:

On the left side are two sets of wires, one set is blue and white and the other is 20 wires with 18 alternating blue and orange wires, and 2 red wires at the end. Coming out of the right side is a set of two wires, gray and black, that lead to the lcd inverter board.

Thanks in advace.

JDS

vniow
Sep 13, 2008, 09:43 PM
Don't waste your time. There's a reason that few (any?) have done this before.

panzer06
Sep 13, 2008, 10:06 PM
I have taken apart my non-working 800MHz Powerbook G4 Titanium DVI (Ivory) and would like to use the working LCD monitor with a regular desktop motherboard. From the little information I can find on the subject, I gather that it is not often done, but I would like to try anyway.

Has anyone tried this before? I would very much appreciate any general advice/thoughts, and also specific information, if possible, about the wire configuration, power needs, etc.

Here are what the wires coming out of the screen look like:

On the left side are two sets of wires, one set is blue and white and the other is 20 wires with 18 alternating blue and orange wires, and 2 red wires at the end. Coming out of the right side is a set of two wires, gray and black, that lead to the lcd inverter board.

Thanks in advace.

JDS

It looks like it's not too feasible according to someone in this post.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4642258&postcount=806

in this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207751

I imagine there are plenty of extra displays once these folks perform the upgrade and no one bothers to do so.

You can also search for info on auto mods with LCDs that might contain info on this as well. I've seen a TV show where someone cannibalized a laptop screen for a Mac mini install in a car.

Most likely more trouble than its worth, even if it might be fun.

Cheers,

thosejaunes
Sep 15, 2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the responses. Shame it can't be done/isn't worth bothering with. Guess I'll sell it and buy something that will work.