PDA

View Full Version : Travel Advice: What to pack.

Abstract
Jan 19, 2004, 11:18 AM
Hey,

I'm going to Australia for 1 - 1.5 years in about 3 weeks (February), and have been busy with things hence my lack of posting, although I'm sure none of you even noticed. ;) I'm trying to figure out what to pack. Some of what I plan to pack is because of advice I received from and both an Australian and a co-worker who travelled around Australia for a year. Supposed, it gets "cool" in the winter nights (5-10 Celsius/40-50Fahrenheit). Hell, I'm from Canada!! ;)

I haven't packed yet. I'm bringing a large suitcase, my 60 litre backpack, and my school/laptop backpack. I'm thinking of packing:

- 1-2 hoodies
- 3 sweaters/jumpers
- 3 long-sleeve t-shirts.
- 4 pairs of trousers: 1 "formal" pair, 2 for regular wear, and a pair of jeans.
- 2 "dressy" shirts.
- 5 t-shirts (I'll buy more while I'm there)
- 3 pairs of shorts.
- 4 pairs of shoes: runners, slip-on Merrell mocs, formal black shoes, Birkenstocks, and a pair of flip flops for the beach.

-My Arc'teryx hardshell jacket, for those rainy, windy, and cool days.

- My dressy wool coat, since apparently, once I get used to their weather, I'll be cold. Heck, I didn't even know that people needed jackets/coats. Anyway, I don't want to ruin a Gore-Tex XCR jacket at smokey bars, now do I. ;)

- My Powerbook plus some of my Mac related CD's.
- Photocopied textbook pages from some of my old courses.
-Sunscreen!!!
-a bedsheet.
-a pillowcase: I can stuff my pillowcase with clothes and use it as a pillow. That's a camping tip for you all. ;)

Am I packing too much? The reason I think it's justified is because, much like Canada, supposedly they have weather, and so I have to be prepared. Also, I'll be doing my masters, and may need to dress for work during 3 to 4 days each week, so I need to bring something more formal just in case.

Here's a question: If I want to buy a set of 4 Rayovac NiMH batteries and charger (http://www.rayovac.com/products/recharge/recharge.shtml), and it states on the website that it can be used in 110-220 Volt outlets (http://www.rayovac.com/15minutes/qa.html#12), should I use it in Australia, which is said to use "230-250V, 50 cycle AC"?? It won't work since it only works to 220V, will it?

So how am I doing? Any tips for me?

mactastic
Jan 19, 2004, 03:40 PM
Only thing I'd say is to get as much of the technical clothing you can afford before you go. You know, the kind that can be washed in a sink and dries easily overnight. Also a travel towel that is compact can save a LOT of room. Towels are bulky things that take forever to dry once wet. Jeans are also very bulky, but useful so it's a tossup.

I've got a couple Mountain Hardwear pant/shorts that the legs zip off, very handy. Patagonia boxers and tees are also invaluable. Anyway, buy as much of this stuff as you can afford/justify. It makes travel much easier IMHO.

krimson
Jan 19, 2004, 04:00 PM
bug repellant?

Abstract
Jan 19, 2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks. I agree. :) I have a quick-dry towel, but for long-term use, I'm going to have to resort to a regular towel. Its a sad thought, I know, but I couldn't possibly use a tiny towel for a year. ;)

People don't seem to know how to pack at all. Its quite ridiculous, really. Wicking tops (ie: running shirts from New Balance, Brooks, Sugoi, Nike Dri-fit...) weigh less, take up less space, easier to clean and dry, and cost the same amount as regular t-shirts. I'm bringing a few. A regular t-shirt folded neatly takes up as much space as 3 running shirts folded the same way. A single running top may not save you a lot of weight, but shave 100 grams (around 0.2 lbs) off of each shirt, pant, towel, jacket, and you'll shed 3 lbs of weight from a backpack quite easily, quite a lot when you're carrying it for a few hours or days.

I'm not an expert packer by any means, and was wondering if anybody could think of something to reduce my load, because the part of my trip that ruins any "light packing" plans is that I'll probably be doing research at a hospital for my thesis, so I have to dress the part. Some of the heavy, bulky stuff that I don't want to bring has to come with me, such as my dressy Rockport shoes.

Certainly someone thinks I can pack less than I am right now. :confused: I think I need all that stuff, but everybody thinks they're right and never see their own mistakes. :rolleyes:

Abstract
Jan 19, 2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by krimson
bug repellant?

Does bug repellent keep all the poisonous spiders away? :(

I hear they've got some crazy grasshoppers down under, and 9 of the 10 most poisonous spiders, the most poisonous being the daddy long-legs. Well, that's what someone told me. We even have daddy long-legs here in Canada, but they can't do anything to you because their fangs are too small to penetrate the skin.

zamyatin
Jan 19, 2004, 04:32 PM
The old saying, "Pack half the clothes and twice the money you thought you needed."

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, meanwhile, recommends a towel and nothing else, if I recall.

Warning: this part might be useful.

I would think you can purchase what you need once you are there! Then you'll know what works best and costs least locally, so your choices are more likely to succeed.

Since what you need will differ greatly based on your activities, such as working in an urban environment, versus camping out in the wilderness, what types of activities do you plan? It seems you're going to be a student, so students don't tend to need much debris. But camping, snorkeling, surfing might, so is that on the agenda?

losfp
Jan 20, 2004, 02:10 AM
You're going for over a year and you're worrying about what to pack? ;)

Seriously, we DO have shops over here where you can buy clothes. Bring whatever you can fit in, but don't worry about it. As long as your electronic equipment can run on 240V, 50Hz, a simple adapter will cover you.

robbieduncan
Jan 20, 2004, 02:52 AM
Underwear. You don't seem to have any on your list. Even if you are going commando you will still need socks!

virividox
Jan 20, 2004, 07:47 AM
socks socks socks...didn't you watch forest gump hehe