Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLBballer04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I have an XPS m170 laptop computer that I got christmas of 2005. It has XP service pack 2. I think I meet all requirements for iTunes 8. I downloaded iTunes 8 and I can hardly do anything. I bring up iTunes and it brings up "accessing iTunes Store" and loads. But "accessing iTunes store" keeps flashing. I click to view the metallica album and click a song. It takes several seconds before it starts the song. I had this problem with Itunes 7 and never decided to fix it because I could deal with it. But iTunes 8 takes a little longer then in the middle of the 30 second preview it will freeze. There isnt any detecting URL etc. It just froze. I cant click on anything, cant X out of it, anything! It even slows the rest of my computer when I try to get on internet explorer. Then it works and plays song a couple of more seconds then freezes again. It says program is not responding when I do ctrl alt delete. But it plays song and I can click again. But then repeats freezing again.
I try to restore my computer to a day earlier (restore point yesterday) when I didnt have iTunes 8 and it didnt work bc it says I downloaded a new Itunes. I dont know what to say. I basically cant use Itunes and I only have 6 songs on my ipod. I trade it on and off itunes so i dont get sick of my songs. Itunes is busted if it keeps freezing.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just remove 8 using Add/Remove Programs and install 7 from scratch. You can likely get it from oldversion.com if you don't have the 7 installer floating around anywhere.

MLBballer04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I just did what you said in your reply and it says this when I click on the iTunes desktop icon, "The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes." Can I not ever go back?

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
lol sounds like ur computer is too slow? or who knows wtf is going on there ovisouly not too slow because i have itunes 8 on a eMac and i love it way more than the previous, reinstall xp :p silly windows

Independence

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
United States
reinstall xp :p silly windows

That's like knocking down the house to replace the kitchen sink. This is a problem with iTunes, not Windows. If you don't know how to deal with a problem such as this, you're better off not saying anything as some users might get the wrong idea and do exactly what you said.

With that said, what I recommend doing is remove iTunes 8 using the Add/Remove programs, locate the iTunes directories and delete them, then reinstall iTunes 7. Chances are that the iTunes 8 uninstallation program didn't delete all of iTunes' files and the iTunes 7 installer didn't overwrite them. That's pretty sloppy of Apple, but hopefully this advice helps. Just make sure you don't delete your music along with iTunes' files. :)

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
That's like knocking down the house to replace the kitchen sink. This is a problem with iTunes, not Windows. If you don't know how to deal with a problem such as this, you're better off not saying anything as some users might get the wrong idea and do exactly what you said.

With that said, what I recommend doing is remove iTunes 8 using the Add/Remove programs, locate the iTunes directories and delete them, then reinstall iTunes 7. Chances are that the iTunes 8 uninstallation program didn't delete all of iTunes' files and the iTunes 7 installer didn't overwrite them. That's pretty sloppy of Apple, but hopefully this advice helps. Just make sure you don't delete your music along with iTunes' files. :)

i know it was just a joke but usually ull have to do that, if u dont know waht to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.