PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Question - Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One

Bakkalohriat
Sep 13, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hi everybody. I have a random question about the old school Power Macintosh G3 (All-In-One) power supply. Anyone familiar with the unit knows how honking massive it is, and as I'm living in a dormitory I don't have a terrible amount of room. The essential hardware is fairly small, and as I was planning on using it as a headless unit, I'd like to migrate it to a smaller box with a new power supply.

So question: are the power pins for the logic board fairly standard, or is there some sort of proprietary arrangement? :confused:

computerwiz222
Sep 14, 2008, 09:26 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a specific pinout that is non-standardized.

Do a google search for "PowerMac G3 Power Supply Pinout" to get more information.

I recently rewired a standard ATX power supply to work in a PowerMac G4. Considering the new power supplies are over 100, rewiring saves quite a lot of money...

Also, would you sell your empty case when finished?

Lord Zedd
Sep 14, 2008, 12:20 PM
Spend $35 and get a PowerMac G3 desktop or tower unit. AIO units are rare, sell it to somebody that wants it.

Bakkalohriat
Sep 14, 2008, 01:36 PM
Spend $35 and get a PowerMac G3 desktop or tower unit. AIO units are rare, sell it to somebody that wants it.

How'd you pick that number? I had this one delivered to my door for $35! :) If what you say it true, I'm not particularly attached to this one, so I'd be interested in turning a profit on it. How much do you think it would fetch in functioning but not visually perfect condition?