Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bakkalohriat

Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Boston, MA
Hi everybody. I have a random question about the old school Power Macintosh G3 (All-In-One) power supply. Anyone familiar with the unit knows how honking massive it is, and as I'm living in a dormitory I don't have a terrible amount of room. The essential hardware is fairly small, and as I was planning on using it as a headless unit, I'd like to migrate it to a smaller box with a new power supply.

So question: are the power pins for the logic board fairly standard, or is there some sort of proprietary arrangement? :confused:

computerwiz222

macrumors broskanovski
Sep 5, 2008
I'm pretty sure there is a specific pinout that is non-standardized.

Do a google search for "PowerMac G3 Power Supply Pinout" to get more information.

I recently rewired a standard ATX power supply to work in a PowerMac G4. Considering the new power supplies are over 100, rewiring saves quite a lot of money...

Also, would you sell your empty case when finished?

Bakkalohriat

Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Boston, MA
Spend $35 and get a PowerMac G3 desktop or tower unit. AIO units are rare, sell it to somebody that wants it.

How'd you pick that number? I had this one delivered to my door for $35! :) If what you say it true, I'm not particularly attached to this one, so I'd be interested in turning a profit on it. How much do you think it would fetch in functioning but not visually perfect condition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.