Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiveinchwrench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
I have a dual 2.0 PowerMac G5 without a video card. I also have an old GeForce4mx 64 MB video card lying around from a MDD. I was wondering if I could use that card in the G5, just to test for functionality of the computer. I'm wanting to avoid putting any unnecessary money into it just incase it doesn't work.

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Depends on what G5 it is.. if you bought it after October 2005 it won't work because the last G5 model shipped didn't have AGP, just PCI Express.

That's an ollllld card and it still might not physically fit because of the different slot / case stuff

fiveinchwrench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
It's an earlier model with AGP. I realize it's a pretty old card. If it does fit, would it damage the G5 to try and use it?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Pretty tough to answer that one...

The G5 (PCI-X) had an AGP 8x slot.
Some cards like the Radeon 9800 Pro were available in specific G4 models (AGP 2x / 4x) or G5 models (AGP 8x), and were not interchangeable.

OTOH the ATi Radeon 9600 Pro was compatible with the MDD G4 (AGP 4x) and the G5 (AGP 8x)....

But, I doubt if an old card like the GeForce 4MX will work in the G5.

I don't think you can hurt your G5 trying, but I assume it won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.