PDA

View Full Version : Of razors and blades... How Apple has managed to slice its o...

MacBytes
Jan 19, 2004, 11:56 AM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Of razors and blades... How Apple has managed to slice its own genes into Windows DNA (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040119125654)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

mrsebastian
Jan 19, 2004, 12:32 PM
good read and i much agree. liked this part of the article:
"The deal was a strategic coup for Mr. Jobs, as was evident in the reaction from Dave Fester, general manager of the Windows digital media division at Microsoft, who accused Hewlett of limiting consumer choice by including Apple music software instead of Microsoft software on its PC's. Many in the industry found irony in the remark: Microsoft is typically the one accused of limiting the public's choice with its industry-dominant Windows operating system."

this pretty much sums up why i hate m$ and why i'll never use their op sys. it's always nice to see the bully get theirs handed to them once in a while :)

nickfit
Jan 19, 2004, 01:45 PM
The author, though, mixes up the analogy. Shouldn't downloaded songs be the razor (loss leader) and iPods be the blades (profit maker).

Nevertheless, I really do love the ironic comment by MS in response to the HP/Apple deal.

MrMacMan
Jan 19, 2004, 02:12 PM
Yeah the iPod makes the money, the Songs don't.

Anyway having Quicktime or iTunes on a PC is good.

Nermal
Jan 19, 2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by nickfit
The author, though, mixes up the analogy. Shouldn't downloaded songs be the razor (loss leader) and iPods be the blades (profit maker).

No, because you buy one iPod, and several songs. The article specifically mentions that only Apple could sell the razor at a profit and blades at a loss.

Reminds me of printer ink :rolleyes:

eazyway
Jan 19, 2004, 06:02 PM

Nevertheless, I really do love the ironic comment by MS in response to the HP/Apple deal.

The point is correct. Usually the hardware was sold as the loss leader for the add ons. Jobs did the exact opposite.

NP3
Jan 20, 2004, 01:43 AM
Good article.

It points out the (i think commonly overlooked) fact that with iTunes coming to HP, not only is it getting iTunes and iPod support, but Rendezvous and Quicktime installed on every HP computer.

This is a huge help for Quicktime in its fight against Windows Media Player.

irmongoose
Jan 20, 2004, 06:11 AM

That's not the analogy he's using. Razor is the big thing, which you put the blades into. You buy one razor, many blades. Thus, the razor is the iPod, and the blades are the songs.

Well, at last we see a smart journalist you knows what he's talking about write an article about the Apple-HP deal. Good stuff.

irmongoose

Spock
Feb 6, 2004, 01:06 PM
Are the HP-iPods shipping yet? and if not when?