PDA

View Full Version : Selling PowerBook G4 - Moving To USA

HelixOmnimedia
Sep 14, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hey,

I need some help and advice.

On 5th October I'm moving to Orlando (i'm going to work with Disney:D) and I currently have a PowerBook G4. I have been putting off buying a new MacBook Pro and with all these rumors I don't know what to do.

Do I take a risk and sell my PowerBook in the UK, and hope that a new MacBook Pro is released soon when I'm over there?

OR

Do I take my PowerBook to the USA with me, and if one is released I could sell it over there - but then if there's nothing I'll still have a laptop...
but that brings another question... how hard will it be to sell a UK PowerBook in the USA?

This dilema has been circiling my head for the last week and I'm need advice or opinions from others.

THANKS.

techound1
Sep 14, 2008, 03:46 PM
You'll probably get more for the powerbook in the UK so it may be worth trying to sell it before you go.

The MBP will be cheaper in the US (but will have a US keyboard, which is just a matter of retraining your pinkie fingers).

If you don't want to be without a computer, pick up a refurb MacBook when you get here and resell it when the MBP is updated. At worst, you'll lose $100 on the deal but can consider it the cost of "renting" an interim computer.

Pieface
Sep 14, 2008, 04:40 PM
My brother came back from working with Disney, apparently its not brilliant... at all...

How long you going out for?

HelixOmnimedia
Sep 15, 2008, 08:53 AM
My brother came back from working with Disney, apparently its not brilliant... at all...

How long you going out for?

LA LA LA LA I'm not listening;)

I'm going out for 6 months, and it can't be any worse the job I'm in. I work as a part-time sales assistant in my local Woolworths.

You'll probably get more for the powerbook in the UK so it may be worth trying to sell it before you go.

The MBP will be cheaper in the US (but will have a US keyboard, which is just a matter of retraining your pinkie fingers).

If you don't want to be without a computer, pick up a refurb MacBook when you get here and resell it when the MBP is updated. At worst, you'll lose $100 on the deal but can consider it the cost of "renting" an interim computer.

Thanks for the information. I will try and sell my Powerbook, there's not a mark on the machine and its spent 90% of the time on my desk. Just that its getting slow.

What do you mean about the 'retraining my pinkie'?

Pixellated
Sep 15, 2008, 10:00 AM
LA LA LA LA I'm not listening;)

I'm going out for 6 months, and it can't be any worse the job I'm in. I work as a part-time sales assistant in my local Woolworths.

Thanks for the information. I will try and sell my Powerbook, there's not a mark on the machine and its spent 90% of the time on my desk. Just that its getting slow.

What do you mean about the 'retraining my pinkie'?
@ and " keys are the wrong way round in America.