PDA

View Full Version : Airport on Powerbook G4

MasonMI
Sep 14, 2008, 07:17 AM
I have my Powerbook G4 connected to my wireless router for some reason when i move my Powerbook out of the same room as the router i only get 1 bar of connection and when im in the same room as the router i get full bars of connection, ive used other laptops and i've been able to get full bars in other rooms, any suggestions or changes i need to make to the airport settings? seems i can still get around on the internet just fine though i would think with full bars i would get a better connection speed?

alphaod
Sep 14, 2008, 01:10 PM
You can can't do anything. The wireless on the Powerbooks just all suck.

MasonMI
Sep 14, 2008, 04:35 PM
How about on the Macbook Pro's? Are the wireless about the same?

CaptainChunk
Sep 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hmmm....

The wireless on my MBP seems to perform about the same as I've experienced on about 3 PBG4s prior to that. I can't say that I've generally experienced connectivity issues that bad, though.

As I recall, the one instance I had poor connectivity (1 bar all the time) on Mac laptop was on my 12" PBG4 and it ended up being a loose antenna connection on the Airport card.

panzer06
Sep 14, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have my Powerbook G4 connected to my wireless router for some reason when i move my Powerbook out of the same room as the router i only get 1 bar of connection and when im in the same room as the router i get full bars of connection, ive used other laptops and i've been able to get full bars in other rooms, any suggestions or changes i need to make to the airport settings? seems i can still get around on the internet just fine though i would think with full bars i would get a better connection speed?

That's interesting. What sort of router do you have?

I have this 12 in and it's on the 2nd floor and the Netgear N router is on the first floor and I have full strength. The router does have some range-boosting tech built-in, however, I am also able to access our work Cisco Wireless network w/o difficulty.

Cheers,

MasonMI
Sep 14, 2008, 06:03 PM
That's interesting. What sort of router do you have?

I have this 12 in and it's on the 2nd floor and the Netgear N router is on the first floor and I have full strength. The router does have some range-boosting tech built-in, however, I am also able to access our work Cisco Wireless network w/o difficulty.

Cheers,

My router is a netgear G router

alphaod
Sep 14, 2008, 11:15 PM
How about on the Macbook Pro's? Are the wireless about the same?

I can get 70% signal on the MBP, but only 5% on the PB at the same distance. I guess the former is N based, but the PB reception is just pathetic!