PDA

View Full Version : avatar discussion

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 04:46 PM
ok, so after posting just once in the avatar forum and not seeing it show up (due to the dukestreet approval thing), i figured i'd just go ahead and start the discussion here... that way it's a bit easier. not as easy as just seeing something and responding, but hey... better than bothering duke with constant approval requests (or however it works)...

my man duke's time is too precious for all that.

so, let it begin.

i much like britboy's first. and rower's...

though i do have a thing for animation... word.

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 04:48 PM
I haven't had the chance to get there and check out the entries thus far...

but I know I need to... ;)

I'll be checking it all out later on when I get off work...

as for approval by duke...I had posted a few times in the private forum to ask him a question or pass a comment...

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 04:49 PM
I'm thinking I might get tired of the approval thing, especially when people start filling up my pm with complaints like -'Why hasn't my entry showed up!'

I'll be talking with arn about that.

And I won't be commenting on any of the 'tars, obviously, and that will go for eye and b2tm, we have to stay impartial, you know.

But its going to be very hard, yes very hard indeed...

Thanks for starting the discussion thread, and if anyone wants to start one just for their own, I'd recommend it, keep things in context and all.

Good luck everyone!

D

britboy
May 28, 2002, 04:52 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing something that really impresses me. It'll be nice to see peoples' creative sides being used :)

My first entry still needs a *lot* of work doing on it. It's not exactly the most legible of things... still, thanks for the comment jello!

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 06:19 PM
i like zenith's too.... could use some work. i think the colors could use some fine tuning.... but it's a cool idea.

britboy- no problem. how'd you do the waving effect? or did you have the master of such an effect (mac15) help you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

britboy
May 28, 2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

britboy- no problem. how'd you do the waving effect? or did you have the master of such an effect (mac15) help you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm just talented, what can i say? :rolleyes:

Actually that part comes from a flag i found online. It came with a pole, tassles... the works. Made some changes, and i had myself a nice waving union jack! Then it was just a simple matter of writing 'Britboy' (so hard to do...), and applying a mask.

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by britboy
I'm just talented, what can i say? :rolleyes:

Actually that part comes from a flag i found online. It came with a pole, tassles... the works. Made some changes, and i had myself a nice waving union jack! Then it was just a simple matter of writing 'Britboy' (so hard to do...), and applying a mask.

ahhh... well it looks pretty good. it'd be much better bigger obviously. oh well...

booooyah!

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 06:41 PM

oh and i don't think you're alone there
should be interesting.

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 07:16 PM
what are you talking about eh duke?

i use stuff from the web when i can. makes it easier.....

heck, mine's from a movie!

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 07:21 PM

what are you talking about eh duke?
thought you were talking about something else, oh well. doesn't matter.

Rower_CPU
May 28, 2002, 07:36 PM
So far some interesting entries...

Zenith's really caught me off guard. I barely saw the movement the first time, and had to do a double-take.

Mine is actually from a desktop picture I created a while ago. If anyone wants to see the minimize and zoom buttons, I can do those too. That damn aqua effect takes about 10 layers to make it look good. *phew*

Can't wait to see some of the "heavyweights" flex their muscles a little...I know I'm just warming up. ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Zenith's really caught me off guard. I barely saw the movement the first time, and had to do a double-take.

Mine is actually from a desktop picture I created a while ago. If anyone wants to see the minimize and zoom buttons, I can do those too. That damn aqua effect takes about 10 layers to make it look good. *phew*

Can't wait to see some of the "heavyweights" flex their muscles a little...I know I'm just warming up. ;)

man, it really caught me off guard, considering i didn't even see it til you mentioned it!... i think the white area around the circles should be a bit thinner and a bit sharper...

i've never done any aqua stuff myself.... hard eh? i actually don't even know where i'd begin to make aqua stuff...

yeah, we'll see... i'm just glad i'm not getting involved! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cleo
May 28, 2002, 08:18 PM
I just put up 15 of my "dress-up" 'tars... do let me know what you guys think. I've had a lot of fun doing them (too much fun, I'm starting to fall behind in my homework...:rolleyes:). Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions for other characters, I'd love to give it a try.

britboy
May 28, 2002, 08:23 PM
I think your series is really cool cleo! I thought you weren't going to show them all, just select the best, and keep the rest as a surprise for you 'tar?

My favourites are the rainy cleo, and princess cleo. 'rainy' because it looks the most impressive, 'princess' because it's the funniest idea :)

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by cleo
I just put up 15 of my "dress-up" 'tars... do let me know what you guys think. I've had a lot of fun doing them (too much fun, I'm starting to fall behind in my homework...:rolleyes:). Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions for other characters, I'd love to give it a try.

i hate them all. but i'll go ahead and tell you about each of em....

original: well, it's just that, original.
blind: cute. we get to see the tiny dot eyes.
abba: i don't know much about abba, but it's funny
bookworm: looks like "emo" cleo... ha. coolio
hepburn: nice touch.... the bun looks good.
goth: needs more to make it gothy... (i just saw the black lipstick... nice. more though!)
barbie: gotta add the unrealistic body proportions! haha.
out: fitting. cool.
princess: haha. nice. where's darth cleo?
birthday/patriotic: nice occasion versions...
rainy: animate it!
stefani: add more- a "girl" shirt??? haha
monk: the stubble is a nice touch. didn't see it at first
quite: hmm.... subtle. a bit too similar to the first... but on its own it's strong for sure.

so in case you didn't figure it out, i was kidding at the top.... ha! also, i realize some of my suggestions don't fit your form as far as just the head (e.g. adding a shirt wouldn't work too well) but i just thought i'd suggest things.... word. nice work!

cleo
May 28, 2002, 09:24 PM
Thanks for your comments, britboy and jello! I decided just to post them all 'cause I'm impatient for people to see them, but I don't want to be changing my actual avatar every other day.

Animating the rainy day one... oooer! I might have to try my hand at that. That one actually started out as a "paddington bear" 'tar, but it just looked like she was wearing a weird hat. :D

As for the goth one... just shows my ignorance... what else would make it look more "goth-y"? She has a nose ring, but it's too hard to see that small. The face is significantly paler and the hair is black, but you're right, it's not so distinct on its own.

Anyway, I *have* to do stats homework... but thanks again for the comments. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of any new 'tars. :)

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by cleo
Thanks for your comments, britboy and jello! I decided just to post them all 'cause I'm impatient for people to see them, but I don't want to be changing my actual avatar every other day.

Animating the rainy day one... oooer! I might have to try my hand at that. That one actually started out as a "paddington bear" 'tar, but it just looked like she was wearing a weird hat. :D

As for the goth one... just shows my ignorance... what else would make it look more "goth-y"? She has a nose ring, but it's too hard to see that small. The face is significantly paler and the hair is black, but you're right, it's not so distinct on its own.

Anyway, I *have* to do stats homework... but thanks again for the comments. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of any new 'tars. :)

responses:

i agree. don't want to change that often...

i can see the paddington thing... this works though. and animating it... you could just take the rain layer and make like 3-5 different ones... they don't have to animate perfectly. just kinda scroll the layer (if that makes sense)... it wouldn't be TOO tough...

hmm... well i don't know what else you could have done for goth.... now that you mention it, i notice the other details..

blah. "have" to do work.... there's a place for homework (in the trash can)..

booyah!

mac15
May 28, 2002, 09:41 PM
I think anything by dukestreet is good
But I hope we will see some creativity from everyone
I'm gonna work on my tar straight away doesn't mean I'm changin it
this could be fun

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by mac15
I think anything by dukestreet is good
But I hope we will see some creativity from everyone

Well, I appreciate the plug, mac15, but I'm out of this one. Can't judge and be a contestant.

I, too, am hoping to see some creative entries, and for the first night we've got a good selection so far. Many more than I expected.

Interesting sig, btw. Your hat fit a little tight today?

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Interesting sig, btw. Your hat fit a little tight today?

haha. nice and subtle... once again your humor surprises me...

keep it up f.p.

mmmdreg
May 29, 2002, 01:39 AM
myabe this is offtopic or has been answered before, but what happened to AmbitiousLemon's dancing chicken avatar?

mac15
May 29, 2002, 01:49 AM
chicken? I never saw that one
yeah....that doll head thing was weird
I made him a new one, I asked him and he said yes

Hey duke I will change it, I was just in one of those moods:D

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by mac15

Hey duke I will change it, I was just in one of those moods:D

I wasn't telling you to change it, I'm not that bad. I was giving you crap for the statement is all, and you just submitted to the pressure or guilt......

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:16 AM
i like it... it's a bit small and not so crisp...

but dang, the dedication with the tat.... that rules.

i have 2 that are particularly funny in my mind (calvin and hobbes that is)

1. when calvin flushes himself in lieu of a bath...

2. when parents can't find a babysitter and the dad (i thnk) suggests "calvin will be ok on his own for a few hours"... they spend a whole frame laughing hysterically.... then the next frame the dad is wiping a tear away from his eye (from the laughter) and saying "oh that was good".....

haha. sorry for the misquotes, but i'm not as big a fan as you... ha

menoinjun
Jun 5, 2002, 11:24 PM
He he he . The really sick thing is that I can see almost every detail about those comics you just described!!

Thanks for the support with my 'tar. I figured that I'm not a proficient with some .gif animating programs out there, so I just slightly edited a picture I love with photoshop.

I thought about making a series of them, but that picture has special significance to me. (obviously)

Thanks again!

-Pete

How many others are Calvin and Hobbes fans? I know that there is a huge "cult" following.

edit: About the 'tar being small and not so crisp...I know. I am a little frustrated because that will make mine not as nice as some others, but I am sacrifice clarity to get the whole image in the 50x50 pixel space. I am glad that I got the transparency to work though.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 11:53 PM
I love the comic, I've got several of the books, haven't looked at them recently, but I'm always up for a game of Calvin Ball!:D