PDA

View Full Version : Radio ads these days suck...

Kingsnapped
Jan 19, 2004, 05:46 PM
...but I have the chance to change one.

I got an offer to make an advertisement for a nightclub. It would be a 30 second spot on some of the popular music stations. This would be my first advertisement going out to more than a thousand people, and my first radio ad ever.
What have you heard on the radio that you liked? I hate the ads that are just two bad actors talking, and although that's easy- I'm not going to stoop to that level.
I have a couple ideas, and a couple months. I just want to hear a bit of input before I run with some crappy idea.

jrv3034
Jan 19, 2004, 06:02 PM
Well, you should first decide if you're going for comedy, or serious/cool. If comedy, you'd better be a good comedic writer, or it'll come out like a bad SNL sketch. I would probably lean towards a more serious, hip ad with whatever type of music the radio station will mostly broadcast. Cater to the age group that'lll be listening. But above all else, keep it short! Nobody likes a long ad.;)

vniow
Jan 19, 2004, 07:10 PM
Hell, radio these days suck...

Mr. Anderson
Jan 19, 2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by vniow

ha, well, that's why I listen to XMRadio - and on March 1st, *all* their music stations (60+) will go commercial free. :D

Not that they had a lot of commercials to begin with.

Good luck, though, with yours.

D

wdlove
Jan 19, 2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by vniow

I happen to enjoy my local Radio Station 96.9 FM Talk. Listen to it from 2pm until 10pm in the evening. On the weekend I prefer to listen to my music CD's.

Kingsnapped
Jan 19, 2004, 09:20 PM
I work in two restraunts, so I listen to a lot of regular radio. I always moan about how bad the advertisements are, so this is kinda freaking me out.

I wonder if they intentionally told me about this two days before finals, just to mess with me...:rolleyes:

Kwyjibo
Jan 20, 2004, 12:42 AM
The best radio ads were the budweiser "true american heroes ads" they are now TV ads .... much better on the radio

cb911
Jan 20, 2004, 01:13 AM
i've heard some shocking radio ads... not that they were really 'shocking' as in content, but they were just plain crap. :p

i always like to listen to the radio stations from Grand Theft Auto 3, and GTA Vice City. there's some of the funniest ads ever in there, even though they aren't real ads.

but whatever you decide to do... try and start out with a good concept/idea. no matter how good you may be at manipulating audio or whatever, a bad concept can't be make good by any amount of work.

i'd say it'd be worth just sitting down and brainstorming ideas even before thinking about your audience etc. just go nuts and see what you come up with. i've seen heaps of good ideas come up that way. :)

Mr. Anderson
Jan 20, 2004, 06:47 AM
One of my favorite ones, that still makes me laugh sometimes is the one for a high speed internet connection (don't know if its national or not). But basically it plays up the reasons for having high speed internet by saying that 'modem' is a bad word.

There were about 4 or 5 snippets with different people in different situations using modem creatively. Some that I remember:

A little kid running to his mom: "Mom, Jimmy called me a Modem!"

Guy caught in traffic: "Modem!"

D :D

virividox
Jan 20, 2004, 07:33 AM
keep it short, i agree with the above post i lose interest ina long advert

Kingsnapped
Jan 20, 2004, 01:49 PM
...DSL in my area uses a modem, what do you get over there?

Nermal
Jan 20, 2004, 04:00 PM
Probably a "DSL Access Station" or something stupid like that :rolleyes: