PDA

View Full Version : eMachines' 64-bit laptop

MacBytes
Jan 19, 2004, 07:18 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: eMachines' 64-bit laptop (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040119201831)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

artooro
Jan 19, 2004, 07:51 PM
I would like to see Apple match and exceed this notebook in both design, quality, and price. Of course I'm talking about the specs too.

awulf
Jan 19, 2004, 08:08 PM
64-bit laptops aren't that new.

I've seen other AMD Athlon 64 laptop computers in magazines a while back.
So that news site is a bit behind.

Nermal
Jan 19, 2004, 08:23 PM
Yeah, they're not new. You've been able to get 64-bit SPARC laptops for quite a while too.

nagromme
Jan 19, 2004, 08:28 PM
There have been 64-bit SPARC Solaris laptops for some time. Not "personal computers" maybe.

So... take the lack of useful 64-bit support in Windows, the horrendous eMachines reliability and service (I've been burned!), the lack of Mac OS X, no gigabit ethernet, no Bluetooth, no DVI, no FW800, lower screen res than the 15" AlBook, and a massive bulk with a weight of close to 9 pounds (once you add the battery in that they remarkably OMIT from the default weight!)... and you sure have one tempting machine ;)

What does it have that a PowerBook doesn't? A flash reader. Oh, wait... my PowerBook DOES have that. It was cheap to add via internal cardbus.

eMachines = cheap for a reason. I say that looking at my own eMachines boat anchor that died three times--once just a week after warranty.

No thanks. I'll wait for a real G5 with AltiVec and the world's best OS.

The specs:
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6807

revenuee
Jan 19, 2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by nagromme
There have been 64-bit SPARC Solaris laptops for some time. Not "personal computers" maybe.

So... take the lack of useful 64-bit support in Windows, the horrendous eMachines reliability and service (I've been burned!), the lack of Mac OS X, no gigabit ethernet, no Bluetooth, no DVI, no FW800, lower screen res than the 15" AlBook, and a massive bulk with a weight of close to 9 pounds (once you add the battery in that they remarkably OMIT from the default weight!)... and you sure have one tempting machine ;)

What does it have that a PowerBook doesn't? A flash reader. Oh, wait... my PowerBook DOES have that. It was cheap to add via internal cardbus.

eMachines = cheap for a reason. I say that looking at my own eMachines boat anchor that died three times--once just a week after warranty.

No thanks. I'll wait for a real G5 with AltiVec and the world's best OS.

The specs:
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6807

ditto

we'll wait for our 1 inch thick, 5lbs toaster thank your very much :D

csubear
Jan 19, 2004, 10:01 PM
nice to see that they have put hyper-transport in the laptop form factor. As far as a low clocked G5 or even a 90nm G5 i think the heat disapation is kinda low. The main concern i think was stuffing hyper-transport and a G5 into a laptop. i bet we see the g5 powerbook sooner then next fall. maybe when we see the 90nm G5 shiping in volume. my bet march/april.

mac15
Jan 20, 2004, 12:07 AM
still looks ugly, I'm sure its nice and zippy but its depressing to look at

slipper
Jan 20, 2004, 04:31 AM
for $1500, its definately not bad. sure its still an eMachine but $1500..... 64bit processor, 802.11g, 15" screen, 60gb hd, 1mb L2 cache, raedon 9600. come on guys lets not get to biased. Were in the mac community, were a lot more mature than the windows guys.

isgoed
Jan 20, 2004, 04:58 AM
I think this is a pretty good machine. I have to see apple making a machine with equal specs at that price ($1549).

I knew that Mobile Athlon 64 exist, but never seen an actual laptop. It at least proves that the heat issues can be dealt with. This means that apple can put a G5 in a laptop. But actually we already knew this, because 3Ghz Pentium (hot) laptops also exist. The problem apple faces is that they want to make a thin laptop without noisy fans. Well maybe they should loosen the requirements somewhat.

settledown
Jan 20, 2004, 06:34 AM
that price is killer
period

Sabenth
Jan 20, 2004, 07:23 AM
that block is well just a fast block fantastic.. I am happy with out it i think .. :)

tkulla
Jan 20, 2004, 08:19 AM
Could it BE heavier?

1macker1
Jan 20, 2004, 08:37 AM
64 bit computing didnt start with the G5, they i've seen Sun Workstations running Solaris, and it's been around for a while. The G5 brought it to the personal level. But i'd rather have a G4 power book that a 64bit e-machine. But the price is rather tempting.

revenuee
Jan 20, 2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by slipper
Were in the mac community, were a lot more mature than the windows guys.

Speak for yourself :D

1macker1
Jan 20, 2004, 09:34 AM
But to tell the truth, OS X doesn't have the 64 bit support yet(besides a few programs). I dont think it's a present day idea, just people gearing up for the future. I'll save a few grand and get something i can use now, like a G4 PB.

denjeff
Jan 20, 2004, 01:28 PM
At first, you don t need an OS that is written in 64 bit code... as long as heavy programs who need the extra RAM can be supported.

Secondly, what is the maximum amount of RAM that can be put in the machine? It s not on the website (http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6807). And if it does not exceed 4GB, then what is the use of a 64 bit processor? Because it sounds good?!?

And what about battery time? It s not on the website either....

isgoed
Jan 20, 2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by denjeff

And if it does not exceed 4GB, then what is the use of a 64 bit processor? Because it sounds good?!?

Well you can do more calculations per clock cycle and you can do 64bit math natively.

denjeff
Jan 21, 2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by isgoed
Well you can do more calculations per clock cycle and you can do 64bit math natively.

How many calculations per clock cycles can an AMD Athlon do? Any CISC processor can only do 1 per cycle, that s what I was always told... So there is no real advantage i suppose?!?