PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Shipments Have Begun?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

MacRumors
Sep 15, 2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Barrons reports (http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/09/15/apple-citi-says-sept-qtr-tracking-ahead-of-street-ests-contends-shipments-have-begun-on-new-macbooks/?mod=googlenews_barrons) on an analyst note from Citigroup's Richard Gardner who claims to have received confirmation that new MacBooks are shipping.

The report cites "field checks" as the source of the information and describes the new MacBooks with a "very thin aluminum casing, an LED-backlit display and an aggressive entry-level price point."

This description matches many of the circulating rumors, including photos that claimed (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/04/leaked-aluminum-macbook-case/) to depict the new MacBook. Also, the "aggressive" price point could also represent the lower margins that Apple predicted for future quarters during their Q3 2008 Financial Results (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/21/apple-announces-1-07-billion-in-profit-for-q3-2008/). At that time, Apple described a "future product transition" which could impact margins.

The most recent claims have pinpointed October 14th (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/10/apple-notebook-updates-on-october-14th-120gb-macbook-air-hdd/) as the possible day for the MacBook release.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/15/macbook-shipments-have-begun/)

nidserz
Sep 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
WOW. MacBooks coming soon! Can't wait, come on Apple! :apple:
+1 Aluminum
+1 LED backlit display
+1 Agressive Price Point

October 14th here we come, or perhaps even earlier?

MojoWill
Sep 15, 2008, 12:57 PM
HOOAH

been waiting for these to replace my girlfiriends G3 iBook!

born4sky
Sep 15, 2008, 12:57 PM
If price is really that aggressive I might consider one for my self, will be good birthday gift

theheadguy
Sep 15, 2008, 12:58 PM
More importantly, if that is true than iMac can't be far behind... Mobile chipsets...

robotica
Sep 15, 2008, 12:59 PM
please be true

blurredline
I just pee'd a little. That's awesome!...If true...

brn2ski00
cant wait to see them! may sell my iMac to get one.... love the newest stuff.

happydude
i just think the aluminum is a bad idea because it will cut down on wifi reception. that's all

brn2ski00
Sep 15, 2008, 01:00 PM
i just think the aluminum is a bad idea because it will cut down on wifi reception. that's all

good point.

my wife's iBook G4 gets far better wireless reception then my iMac or iPhone.

mattwolfmatt
Sep 15, 2008, 01:01 PM
HOOAH

I misread...I thought you wrote "been waiting for these to replace my girlfriend." Nice. Inappropriate, but nice.

Akzel
I've been so skeptical these days about all things Apple, I guess it's the lack of Steve's distortion field in the last few events... Anyway, I digress:

1) But still lame drives that won't burn DVDs on the entry level machine

2) Crappy onboard graphics card

So I might just wait until January to get the new MBPs...

Btw, by "agressive pricing" I think they mean they'll cut like US$100 from the price, and will get all fanboys shouting how good Steve is to the poor mortals.

morespce54
I want 1 too... ;)

reusman
YAY new MacBooks!!

But I'm curious: Do things usually ship a whole month before their release?! That seems so early... Maybe some MacBooks before October 14th!? :)

happydude
Sep 15, 2008, 01:02 PM
good point.

same with 1st gen iphone and 2nd gen iphone. i just don't like when function sacrifices for aesthetics.

Bonte
Sep 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
I hope the basic price is below $999, the current average for a laptop is $700.

morespce54
Sep 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
...Btw, by "agressive pricing" I think they mean they'll cut like US$100 from the price, and will get all fanboys shouting how good Steve is to the poor mortals.

I hope not... I wouldn't consider a $100 price cut to qualify as "aggressive pricing"... Anyway, less is good.

Darkroom
Sep 15, 2008, 01:05 PM
no doubt apple's aggressive pricing = $50 cheaper... woop :rolleyes:

patmort02
Sep 15, 2008, 01:06 PM
It seems odd that they would be shipping a month before release. How much can we rely on the source?

Achiever
Sep 15, 2008, 01:06 PM
Wait...Apple makes computers? Really? Since when?

thespyglass
Sep 15, 2008, 01:07 PM
Pleeease let the MBPs be updated at the same time!

mogzieee
Sep 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
I pinpoint tomorrow!

lol jokes.

schneb
Sep 15, 2008, 01:09 PM
by "agressive pricing" I think they mean they'll cut like US$100 from the price, and will get all fanboys shouting how good Steve is to the poor mortals.
Well, considering the fact that the new iPod Touch went down $100 for a $400 device--I think that was pretty aggressive for a new model.

kornyboy
Sep 15, 2008, 01:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm surprised about the agreesive price point. That is awesome if true.

BRussell
Sep 15, 2008, 01:12 PM
The idea that they're shipping now makes no sense unless they're announced tomorrow.

Aranince
Apple, Macbook Pros plz kthnxbai!

isoceles
Pleeease let the MBPs be updated at the same time!

My fingers are crossed.

Ade-iMac-177
Sep 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
Yes!!! hooray!!!
come on Apple... faster, faster!!
please at least get a new MBP to me before the 28th of September. I have to go to Uni & I couldn't bare 3 weeks away from a mac but it is a bit awkward to take my whole iMac setup!!!

Come on steve - think of the good old times - bring it out sooner than we think and suprise us all!!!! :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :D

robotica
you could house the antenna for wifi in the plastic apple logo on the back and in the screen housing plastic bezel :cool:

Toe
Just out of curiosity... if the Mac mini is roughly the same computer as the MacBook, sans the display, then might it see a price drop as well?

$600++ for a stripped-down, 1GB, hobbled, unexpandable, integrated-graphics, keybardless, mouseless PC is not exactly competitive with the rest of the world (iLife or no, it's $600 and quickly climbs from there if you try to make it usable).

And the buyers guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_mini) does show that it's due for an update...

rezonat0r
Sep 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
Anyone else think the "future product transition" is actually the elimination of the "Pro" moniker?

With aluminum, LED, and (presumably) multitouch on the 13" Macbook there is very little difference between the 15" and 17" MBP except for a GPU. And the next iteration of Intel's integrated graphics are pretty good.

I predict there will just be a 13", 15" and 17" Macbook. That simplifies things and makes room for a whole new line, say "Touch", for the new Macbook tablets.

Akzel
Sep 15, 2008, 01:16 PM
Apple, Macbook Pros plz kthnxbai!

I REALLY wanted to see new MBPs, but AFAIK they will be only updated in January, with fancy new processors and Bluray.

shadowmoses
Sep 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
All I can say is I am mega looking forward to these and will order one to replace my 1st Rev MacBook once they are out..... Hoping to see something pretty cool though, LED backlights will be a nice change definitely far easier on the eye's!!

ShadoW

dzhiurgis
Sep 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
It's Tuesday tomorrow :o

nick9191
Sep 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
If any of you are waiting for significant price drops then I can't wait to laugh at you. Thats not how Apple rolls, thats not how we roll, we don't want cheap crap.

Lower margins = more specs for the same price or higher price, doesn't always mean cheaper, and in this case it certainly doesn't.

thejadedmonkey
Sep 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
and a 25% decrease of a $1200 model is.. $900. Can anyone say $899? Dang that would be sweet!

I think the elimination of the pro models would be nice. Seriously, the only difference is the screen size, keyboard, video card, and aluminum.

jcb10
Sep 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
The idea that they're shipping now makes no sense unless they're announced tomorrow.

Not necessarily. It would take two-three weeks for shipping containers to cross the ocean, then another week or so to make sure that every Apple Store in the US and Canada has some.

This news (if true) does make me hopeful that Macbooks will be available on the rumored Oct. 14 announcement date, instead of some time later. I just wish there was news of the MBP as well.

andylyon
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Tex-Twil
Finally some good news ! A possible "January update" was kind of scraying me. I hope the MBP are on the way as well :)

Adidas Addict
Sep 15, 2008, 01:21 PM
Anyone else think the "future product transition" is actually the elimination of the "Pro" moniker?

With aluminum, LED, and (presumably) multitouch on the 13" Macbook there is very little difference between the 15" and 17" MBP except for a GPU. And the next iteration of Intel's integrated graphics are pretty good.

I predict there will just be a 13", 15" and 17" Macbook. That simplifies things and makes room for a whole new line, say "Touch", for the new Macbook tablets.

Hmmm, actually you know, thats not as daft as it originally sounded. :rolleyes:

Clayne
Sep 15, 2008, 01:24 PM
Considering they're being shipped from across seas, a month prior sounds completely reasonable.

I think the physical characteristics, based on multiple resources/rumors, are accurate, but everything else is still up in the air.

Like, aluminum casing and LED screen sounds accurate, and could be verified by "field checks", BUT something like price drops can't be known by anyone except Apple.

56johnl
Sep 15, 2008, 01:24 PM
YEs YES YEs right in time for my b-day!

this has benn sooo delayed orignal rumors pointed to end of july!!

BigD58
Sep 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
This kind of makes me sad because I have the first macbook core duo...now im going to be jealous when i see the new macbook.:(

dcdude
I wouldn't underestimate the significance of a price drop. Apple is all about marketshare these days and achieving it in any way possible. They released the original iPhones at $600 to get a good buzz going about them from the early adopters, only to slash it $200 to get everyone else to come around and say, "Hey, I can afford this".

Would not surprise me if they do the same thing on the Macbooks. Personally I'm excited, well was, before I knew about the WiFi reception issue anyway. Is it really that major?

I'm afraid 13" is still too small for me, so adding a 15" model to the line would be stellar. If not, here's to waiting 4 more months for the MBP's.

andylyon

It's Tuesday tomorrow and if I remember rightly other people have sugested Apple release their products on a Tuesday..

MShock
As long as Apple beats those new offerings from Sony, I'll be very happy! The Z, SR, FW, and soon to be released AW have an amazing design and specs! I love how Sony eliminated the excess border around the screen, particularly in the 13inch models. PLEASE APPLE! DO ELIMINATE THAT BORDER.

BigD58
Sep 15, 2008, 01:26 PM

Good point.

thespyglass
Sep 15, 2008, 01:27 PM

:D

TheNorthWaves
Sep 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
if these are reasonably priced, I will be dumping my thinkpad for one of these.

SleepyHead157
Sep 15, 2008, 01:28 PM

very interesting observation. Would love that

mondesi43
Sep 15, 2008, 01:30 PM

And today's the last day of the college promotion......

Awesome-o/
Sep 15, 2008, 01:32 PM
A 15 inch macbook is needed for all those who want to use it as there main comp

xgfx
Sep 15, 2008, 01:32 PM

I really like this idea,
it makes sense for a few reasons

a) why update your low end notebooks before high end, that'll leave the top end of the market dead in the water
b) it would make the whole line up a lot simpler, the whole "pro" thing just doesn't seem relevant any more. It's just small additions/omissions on each model which make the difference between the two.
c) if they're changing the macbooks to have a alu casing like the pro does, then this would surely make the lineup almost like "one" product. And like you said, leaves room for a possible tablet device. Having 4 portable options (air, pro, mb and tablet) would seem a bit excessive.

Who knows, only the Jobs knows.

drew0020
Sep 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
Plus I just bought my new macbook so it must be tomorrow haha :)

dt1611
And today's the last day of the college promotion......

Yes today is the last day of the college promotion, BUT, Apple will wait at least 14 days to release a new product to keep all these college students from bringing their macbooks back and getting new ones. I am one of those college students and if a new product was released tomorrow, I would be in line with my OLD macbook in hand

THX1139
I REALLY wanted to see new MBPs, but AFAIK they will be only updated in January, with fancy new processors and Bluray.

Betcha 5 bucks you're wrong! It will make the MBP a year since the last update. There is no new technology that requires them to wait, and the Montevina platforms is ready NOW. We will see new MBP 2nd week of October and a total revision next spring.

TheEggman
Sep 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
I think the pros would be released at the same time as the macbooks.

Apple can't leave the mbp with old architecture all the way until January when all the competition has released Montevina laptops that are already shipping.

Also there isn't going to be any major new technology in January since mobile Nehalem won't be out until H2 2009, so this is the only chance for a major overhaul before next summer.

I need one!

techpr
I hope not... I wouldn't consider a $100 price cut to qualify as "aggressive pricing"... Anyway, less is good.

Aggressive Price for me is more than $200 to $300 cut to start.

xgfx
Yes today is the last day of the college promotion, BUT, Apple will wait at least 14 days to release a new product to keep all these college students from bringing their macbooks back and getting new ones. I am one of those college students and if a new product was released tomorrow, I would be in line with my OLD macbook in hand

Having to pay a restocking fee, and giving back your free iPod, apple wins.

fastbite
Sep 15, 2008, 01:37 PM

Wow, that's an interesting though, but i doubt it.

dt1611
Sep 15, 2008, 01:37 PM
Having to pay a restocking fee, and giving back your free iPod, apple wins.

But Apple doesn't want that old stock back.
Thats why they were giving away the iPod Touches, in past years it was just a free iPod (no where near the $299 rebate)

They win alittle money back yes, but what about the old stock?

twoodcc
Sep 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
can't wait to see them! let's hope this is really happening

Chic0
not hating or anything, but why do we never hear about new macbook pros? always seems to be mainly macbooks :-s

Padaung

I know! Great to see some news on the Macrumors front page that isn't iPhone related :cool:

My Macbook is going to look oh so non-shiny next to the new ones, but I do agree with others on the wi-fi. I've always had better reception than fellow MBP owners :D

ishopukisfake
I have a feeling this is right, and all the notebooks will be given an overhaul in october. The air will probably be reduced in price and upgraded

Kilamite
Well, considering the fact that the new iPod Touch went down $100 for a $400 device--I think that was pretty aggressive for a new model.

That's a 25% price reduction though. If the new MacBook's got a similar reduction, we'd be aiming at a around $850.

dt1611
Sep 15, 2008, 01:40 PM
not hating or anything, but why do we never hear about new macbook pros? always seems to be mainly macbooks :-s

The majority of Apple's percent market share for computers is centered around the macbooks because of their pricepoint. Macbook Pros are too expensive for common people

xgfx
Sep 15, 2008, 01:42 PM
But Apple doesn't want that old stock back.
Thats why they were giving away the iPod Touches, in past years it was just a free iPod (no where near the $299 rebate)

They win alittle money back yes, but what about the old stock?

Sell it at a discount (same price they would have asked for if they weren't giving the ipod to keep the price competitive?) cheaper macs aren't hard to shift, at least not in the UK anyway. Because of their high price point, lots of people want last years model.

You're probably right though, but just trying to show it isn't completely impossible to see the updates in the next week or so.

xforce11
Sep 15, 2008, 01:42 PM
This is GREAT :apple: news! I'm so ready for it to ship!

Yixian
Sep 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
Great so what the HELL is the deal with MacBook Pros?!?!

I'm going to uni in a week and mine is completely knackered, whatever happened to capitalising on students Jobs?

Lexoticstylez02
I really hope this is true, my wait will finally be over!

biggzy
Does this include MBPs.?!?!?

We better get some answers soon please :apple:!!!

Eidorian
A little earlier then expected. Hopefully they'll hit before October.

thespyglass
Sep 15, 2008, 01:44 PM
I think the pros would be released at the same time as the macbooks.

Apple can't leave the mbp with old architecture all the way until January when all the competition has released Montevina laptops that are already shipping.

Also there isn't going to be any major new technology in January since mobile Nehalem won't be out until H2 2009, so this is the only chance for a major overhaul before next summer.

I need one!

All good points and here's hoping because me too! Come on MBP news!

mondesi43
Sep 15, 2008, 01:44 PM
The majority of Apple's percent market share for computers is centered around the macbooks because of their pricepoint. Macbook Pros are too expensive for common people

And the common people don't need a MBP. I need a slightly cheaper MB to justify to my wife her moving over to a Mac. All she does is email, log in to her work through gotomypc, and...yep that's it. I really want to get rid of the 5 year old HP/boat anchor that we have.

Tug0n
Sep 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
It wouldn't make any sense if Apple wouldn't update the MBP too, because the difference between the MB and MBP would be way to small.

Anyway:

I went to a Apple Store in Belgium today and they said that i should wait with buying with a MBP because i really need one for school. They told me that they got some indications so that they predict new notebooks soon.

jmann
Sep 15, 2008, 01:47 PM
I wonder how agressive they are actually talking about? Under $1000?

Apple makes the BEST music players in the world;

Apple makes the BEST smartphone in the world;

Apple, of course, continues to make the BEST computers in the world.

As I said before, Apple is on its way to becoming the BIGGEST consumer electronics conglomerate of the globe; this is happening in less than 2 years.

MS is DEAD. DELL is DEAD.

JG271
Please please be true! I need a macbook really soon!

shoebobs
Sep 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
This is good news. I'm looking to buy my first ever Mac and I think it will be the MB if these come out soon. Then if I enjoy a Mac as much as I think I will, I can get the Nehalem MBP sometime late next year. Been waiting since January so I'm ready

dt1611
Sep 15, 2008, 01:51 PM
I wonder how pissed people would get if this whole rumor for "silver-like" notebooks being shipped are just tons of macbook airs and the reason they are doing this is to drop the price down to something like $999 and no MB or MBP updates until October

Just a thought

bigmc6000
Sep 15, 2008, 01:52 PM
good point.

I've said this before and nobody bothered to reply but what's the point of better reception if you're never far from the base station anyway? I mean, I'd say the overwhelming majority of people use Wi-Fi in their house. You'd be hard pressed to find any laptop that wouldn't be able to get at 3 "bars" even if you house is fairly large. I just don't see the big deal - I'm never really at a point where I'm thinking "oh man, I wonder if I can get free wi-fi from that hotel over there, dang, bummer." Does that really happen that often? I suppose you can argue it slows down the file transfers and download speeds but, at least in my experience, it doesn't slow them down so much that I notice and/or care.

marbles
Sep 15, 2008, 01:53 PM
I wonder how agressive they are actually talking about? Under $1000?

I sincerely hope so , that would be refreshing ...bet its some kind of docking thing that will dock into future iMacs

Apple makes the BEST smartphone in the world;

Apple, of course, continues to make the BEST computers in the world.

As I said before, Apple is on its way to becoming the BIGGEST consumer electronics conglomerate of the globe; this is happening in less than 2 years.

MS is DEAD. DELL is DEAD.
:rolleyes:
ok ok ....I think the guy was being sarcastic as Apple haven't released much in the way of computers recently ...

Please please be true! I need a macbook really soon!

+1

NT1440
Sep 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
Good news everyone!

http://www.geocities.com/zoidberg_fan/scanart/prof.gif

The only thing im worried about now is the "thin". I'm worried they may have gone a bit too thin and we will see some of the heat issues the air has. Hopefully they actually thought this one out though

Clayne
Sep 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
+1

+2!

*Sandy*
i just think the aluminum is a bad idea because it will cut down on wifi reception. that's allthat and heat :(

Jimbo Slice
please be true. My hand is in my wallet and I'm ready to pay! Please Uncle Steve

dt1611
Sep 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
Good news everyone!

http://www.geocities.com/zoidberg_fan/scanart/prof.gif

The only thing im worried about now is the "thin". I'm worried they may have gone a bit too thin and we will see some of the heat issues the air has. Hopefully they actually thought this one out though

I owned a MBA for a few months and never had a heat issue. Maybe alittle warm. But then Apple released a firmware update a couple months ago and then there was NO HEAT whatsoever. I was impressed.

Coca-Cola
Sep 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
YAY new MacBooks!!

But I'm curious: Do things usually ship a whole month before their release?! That seems so early... Maybe some MacBooks before October 14th!? :)

I would love for them to show up this week. I really want my father to buy one.

Macsterguy
Sep 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
I like Macs and am purchasing 18 of them this week to "switch" my business (mostly iMacs). I don't usually buy computers because of how they look...

I currently have 8 Mac's that I maintain in my family (3-Macbooks).

Having said that, I may wait for these new Macbooks (I need 4 of them). There is not an uglier Mac then a plastic white/black Macbook after it has been used for a while. They stain, crack and just look bad after a while...

The aluminum shell is a good idea if they have good wifi.

tgildred
Sep 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
Aggressive pricing = $25 iTunes gift certificate.

Drumjim85
Sep 15, 2008, 02:00 PM

you mean the best advertised.... there are a lot of other music players that sound better....

jackfrost123
Sep 15, 2008, 02:00 PM
See that Steve 73-3 Pos. Negat. while the iphones and ipods where barely 50-50, SEE THAT STEVE!!!!:apple:

NT1440
Sep 15, 2008, 02:01 PM
I owned a MBA for a few months and never had a heat issue. Maybe alittle warm. But then Apple released a firmware update a couple months ago and then there was NO HEAT whatsoever. I was impressed.

hmmm, mayb im just reading too much into the posts i see hear. I cant really imagine anyone posting about NOT having heat issues:p

hopefully all is well in the macbook world

marbles
I've said this before and nobody bothered to reply but what's the point of better reception if you're never far from the base station anyway? I mean, I'd say the overwhelming majority of people use Wi-Fi in their house. You'd be hard pressed to find any laptop that wouldn't be able to get at 3 "bars" even if you house is fairly large. I just don't see the big deal - I'm never really at a point where I'm thinking "oh man, I wonder if I can get free wi-fi from that hotel over there, dang, bummer." Does that really happen that often? I suppose you can argue it slows down the file transfers and download speeds but, at least in my experience, it doesn't slow them down so much that I notice and/or care.
funny that you say that , I had severe wireless issues with two Mini's of all things .

dt1611

That's actually a good idea to stimulate iTunes sales and get everyone familiar with the store, but I don't think that will happen at this time

cschulz
Sep 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
Some idiot is going to vote that this is negative, and I want to know who that idiot is!!!!

techpr
Sep 15, 2008, 02:03 PM
Just out of curiosity... if the Mac mini is roughly the same computer as the MacBook, sans the display, then might it see a price drop as well?

$600++ for a stripped-down, 1GB, hobbled, unexpandable, integrated-graphics, keybardless, mouseless PC is not exactly competitive with the rest of the world (iLife or no, it's $600 and quickly climbs from there if you try to make it usable).

And the buyers guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_mini) does show that it's due for an update...

I'm expecting a MacMini update soon. Need one badly!!, I know lots of people want a MacMini update too.

hogfaninga
Sep 15, 2008, 02:03 PM

That's good for you, but most people I know use wireless in a lot more places than just home. Speak for yourself and save us from the "overwhelming majority" because many use wireless everywhere they go. I have had a Pro and the wireless wasn't nearly as good as the Macbook I have.

iMacmatician
Sep 15, 2008, 02:05 PM
"very thin aluminum casingThinner than the MacBook Pro's? I think so. And using 25 W CPUs instead of the current 35 W ones will help with heat reduction.

I REALLY wanted to see new MBPs, but AFAIK they will be only updated in January, with fancy new processors and Bluray.Source?

Great so what the HELL is the deal with MacBook Pros?!?!October release, last I heard.

chrono1081

Pure myth. My mbp gets the farthest reach out of all my laptops, not to mention when you open a computer on many models the built in wifi antenna has aluminum all around it.

calisurfboy
The only justification I had for getting the mac book pro was design, size, and gpu. With the new design in place, that just leaves size and gpu. I would love for apple to streamline their notebooks and just have the notebook difference be the screen sizes with the ability to customize and add a gpu. The thing, though, is that apple needs the ability to differentiate their notebook lines and I think the pro will be sticking around. Need a reason to have the premium around. =) I think all the items in apples lineup need a serious price discount. I am willing to pay for a premium but not being gouged on older inferior technology. Also I am a big believer in volume sales over mark-up. If apple makes their products within easier grasp of the market, think of all the additional sales they can add with accessories, software, etc. with their increased market share.

My only other wish is that they would do something with their desktops. The mac mini is a half assed attempt at a budget desktop while the apple tv is half assed as well. Why not combine the two together creating a media center type device microsoft has had in the PC market. I have a perfectly good monitor and want to update my apple desktop and so I do not need the Imac, the mini is half assed and seriously outdated, and the mac pro is way out of the range of what I need or am willing to pay.

whateverandever
Sep 15, 2008, 02:06 PM
you mean the best advertised.... there are a lot of other music players that sound better....

Sound better? Probably.

But the iPod is all about iTunes, the design of the device, and the operating system on the iPod. Nothing touches the refinement and ease of use of the iPod.

Eidorian
Sep 15, 2008, 02:06 PM
Pure myth. My mbp gets the farthest reach out of all my laptops, not to mention when you open a computer on many models the built in wifi antenna has aluminum all around it.I have my doubts that it's a myth. I have quite a few professors that recently upgraded to MacBook Pros from PowerBook G4s. They're lucky to get reception in their corner offices now. They're using Ethernet now.

amac4me
Sep 15, 2008, 02:07 PM
If shipments have already "begun" I think that argues for a pre-October release. Rest assured that we're very close to the new models hitting the market.

pkoury
Sep 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
Since when does Apple give their front page splash a week of being in the spotlight? It would make no sense for them to fold up their beautiful :rolleyes: iPod Touch and Nano banners to make room for new MacBook banners.

I say at least a month.

chrissturgis
Sep 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
i hope they release tomorrow. makes sense because the free ipod promotion thing ends today.

NT1440
Sep 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
If shipments have already "begun" I think that argues for a pre-October release. Rest assured that we're very close to the new models hitting the market.

um, dont companies usually build up stock for a few weeks before a major release?

(rhetorical)

hogfaninga
Sep 15, 2008, 02:10 PM
Pure myth. My mbp gets the farthest reach out of all my laptops, not to mention when you open a computer on many models the built in wifi antenna has aluminum all around it.

It is a fact. Personally I owned both and the Macbook is far better. Heck most people who own Pro's admit this. Well the honest ones.

Chic0
Sep 15, 2008, 02:11 PM

That exactly what I suggested over a month ago. :cool:

EdwardsNH
Sep 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm expecting a MacMini update soon. Need one badly!!, I know lots of people want a MacMini update too.

I'm waiting for a mini or equivilent (dell studio hybrid) to come with the onboard GPU x4500 HD and a blu-ray option.

That will make the perfect Home Theater PC with Plex (XBMC) installed.

First one out the gate gets my money.

ps - please hurry, my children deserve to see "Nightmare Before Christmas" in 1080p ;-)

bigmc6000
Sep 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
That's good for you, but most people I know use wireless in a lot more places than just home. Speak for yourself and save us from the "overwhelming majority" because many use wireless everywhere they go. I have had a Pro and the wireless wasn't nearly as good as the Macbook I have.

Or maybe you just aren't in the overwhelming majority of people... I mean, we're talking about the masses, not even the average MR member. So when you're sitting in a Starbucks trying to use WiFi an MBP doesn't get reception but a MB does? I've got an old 12" PB and haven't had any issues getting reception at any place that claims to have free wi-fi.

dannyboi83
Sep 15, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'm seriously conidering getting one if the specs are good enough, been looking for any excuse.

Never know tomorrow could be the day!!!!

:)

bigmc6000
Sep 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have my doubts that it's a myth. I have quite a few professors that recently upgraded to MacBook Pros from PowerBook G4s. They're lucky to get reception in their corner offices now. They're using Ethernet now.

Aren't PowerBooks metal as well? I mean, at least my PB is. You're right tho, it's not a myth, it's the single largest reason the iPhone is now plastic. That being said I still have never heard of someone sitting in a Starbucks with, for example, a MBP unable to get their Wi-Fi while a person with a MB gets it.

hogfaninga
Sep 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
Or maybe you just aren't in the overwhelming majority of people... I mean, we're talking about the masses, not even the average MR member. So when you're sitting in a Starbucks trying to use WiFi an MBP doesn't get reception but a MB does? I've got an old 12" PB and haven't had any issues getting reception at any place that claims to have free wi-fi.

Most people buy laptops for their portability which means they take them away from their houses/apts. Pure common sense. Maybe you need some. I know a number of people at my University and work who have Pro's and have connection problems while I'm blazing away with no problems. This has been a common problem. Any search on any Mac site indicates that.

Eidorian
Sep 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
Aren't PowerBooks metal as well? I mean, at least my PB is. You're right tho, it's not a myth, it's the single largest reason the iPhone is now plastic. That being said I still have never heard of someone sitting in a Starbucks with, for example, a MBP unable to get their Wi-Fi while a person with a MB gets it.Better to Worse

iBook G4 > MacBook > PowerBook G4 > Macbook Pro

On the fringes you're not going to get a signal on Intel hardware. My Intel iMac was pathetic compared to my iMac G5.

Whiternoise
Sep 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
The aggressive pricing really is a good thing.

Naturally the end of an Apple product cycle causes their product to become vastly expensive compared to the competition - in the UK you can get a laptop comparable to a Pro (minus OS X) for the same price as a blackbook.

Apple simply cannot afford to sell their laptops at that price point with the current specifications, and hopefully with the new ones either. With the advent of ultra portables, the laptop market has been surging towards the "sub £200/$500" laptop range as well as the £500/$1000. The average laptop now, has 2GB RAM (somewhat spurred on by Vista being demanding), a moderate C2D - Apple has always been good on this score - and generally decent, now often discrete graphics cards (the latter the Macbooks fail quite soundly on).

Some of the pricing will be alleviated if they adopt basic specifications in the macbooks, so 2GB RAM as standard (anything less at the moment would be criminal, even by Apple's standards - especially if they're still going to try and scam us out of £100 for a 2GB upgrade for "mac compatible" memory) for instance. Having such a high price means that in most cases, there is little to distinguish between the Pro and the Macbook, save the onboard graphics and screen real estate. It's also slightly criminal to be selling a 13.3" screen at such a high price, and hopefully Apple realise this.

Seriously, no amount of "it has OS X that makes it worth it" will change the fact that Apple are charging silly money for now outdated and outclassed technology. Whilst the "fixed" (har har) prices of Apple products is good in many ways (like we don't have to pay more for updates, and with inflation it sort of means they're getting cheaper anyway) a price cut is more than welcome in the Macbook family.

It's interesting really. For my 18th, i asked for a Macbook Pro - sure as hell is more useful than a car - for university (this was a combined present, my family isn't loaded). This was duly agreed, and i asked to wait until the new updates since i'd feel pretty stupid buying just before a revamp. Now, i'm going to get a Macbook. Why? Well, i realised that the extra real estate for the screen and the extra GPU ooomph just wasn't worth 500 of my money. Instead, i've asked (and currently have) for a desktop upgrade to take to Uni (bigger monitor and my rig is now virtually silent) and a macbook. The macbook processor is pretty much the same as the Pro - and there's no way 0.1Ghz is worth the amount they want. It's also a lot more portable! But i digress - my point is that the current pricing means that a macbook is much better value for money, offering similar specs for most things - portable gaming has lost interest for me and i don't do enough graphics work to make the GPU worthwhile on the go (i'll stick with my 8800GT in my desk). A price cut would help markedly.

The rest of the information is somewhat expected though, LED screens are very likely, the new look to go with the iMac and the Air, etc.

marbles
Sep 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
Since when does Apple give their front page splash a week of being in the spotlight? It would make no sense for them to fold up their beautiful :rolleyes: iPod Touch and Nano banners to make room for new MacBook banners.

I say at least a month.

no , you see ...the toys get folk interested and looking in Apple's direction then they hit us all with the new machines ...right at the time everyone is looking at the iPods/phone.....although , bet there are some pssdoff media types after the "lets rock" supposed ' big thing ' !.

Kilamite
Sep 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
Aren't PowerBooks metal as well? I mean, at least my PB is. You're right tho, it's not a myth, it's the single largest reason the iPhone is now plastic. That being said I still have never heard of someone sitting in a Starbucks with, for example, a MBP unable to get their Wi-Fi while a person with a MB gets it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the PowerBook's were Titanium, and then they switched to an Aluminium alloy with the MacBook Pro's?

bigmc6000
Sep 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
Most people buy laptops for their portability which means they take them away from their houses/apts. Pure common sense. Maybe you need some. I know a number of people at my University and work who have Pro's and have connection problems while I'm blazing away with no problems. This has been a common problem. Any search on any Mac site indicates that.

By your logic there would be no reason for a person to use a laptop on a plane since they aren't using Wi-Fi. There's way more reasons than just being able to surf the web at the library to buy a laptop. So it's your anecdotal evidence vs my anecdotal evidence - where does that leave us?

Perhaps your university needs to give their Wi-Fi a little more juice, when I was at MY University I never had any problems.

krye
Sep 15, 2008, 02:21 PM
I'm calling it! Set your home page to apple.com for tomorrow, Tuesday the 16th!

PS Apple's idea of "an aggressive price point" is probably $999. I hope that includes a SuperDrive.

boxlight
I love my iMac and if I bought a laptop I would only buy from the MacBook family. But I have to say, you can get a damn fine laptop these days for under $700 -- granted it'll be a Vista machine (blech) but HP and Sony are making some nice machines.

Great to hear Apple is getting aggressive on price. Every student wants a MacBook, but when you get to the box store and dad has decide between $800 for a decent Vista laptop and $1200+ for the entry level MacBook (with less hard drive, less memory, and no DVD burner) -- it's pretty hard to convince dad it's worth it (even though all of us here know it is).

mrblack927
i can confirm this as well :)

stay tuned...

bigmc6000
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the PowerBook's were Titanium, and then they switched to an Aluminium alloy with the MacBook Pro's?

There was a single iteration of TiBooks but they moved to Aluminum shortly after.

marbles
Sep 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
i can confirm this as well :)

stay tuned...

oh , ok ...must be true then

pics or your having a laugh .

:apple:

lhotka
Sep 15, 2008, 02:24 PM

Without a dedicated GPU, I'll buy a refurb and skip this revision. Integrated graphics simply aren't anywhere near the same class as dedicated chips.

And it would make *no* sense to do this when Apple's building a new API to allow programs to access the GPU chips (the Mac Pro doesn't sell enough to make the effort worthwhile).

bigmc6000
Better to Worse

iBook G4 > MacBook > PowerBook G4 > Macbook Pro

On the fringes you're not going to get a signal on Intel hardware. My Intel iMac was pathetic compared to my iMac G5.

Well that's part of my argument - how often are you on the fringes? I can understand if the Wi-Fi you're trying to hop on is under powered and you're always on the fringe but how often does that happen? And what's to keep you from sitting closer to the source?

SkippyThorson

Apple iPhone Inc what?

SOMEONE SAY $899 MACBOOK WHEN?! :eek::D

If the new MacBook comes out at $899 / $1099 / $1299 then I think planet earth will be happy. Go Steve, go Steve, go!

hogfaninga
By your logic there would be no reason for a person to use a laptop on a plane since they aren't using Wi-Fi. There's way more reasons than just being able to surf the web at the library to buy a laptop. So it's your anecdotal evidence vs my anecdotal evidence - where does that leave us?

Perhaps your university needs to give their Wi-Fi a little more juice, when I was at MY University I never had any problems.

That wasn't my point at all. Defend it all you want, but the fact remains the aluminum Pro doesn't have as good range as the Macbook. It really isn't such a big deal for most people though, but for some it is.

My University has a great wifi network. Plenty of "juice." Thanks for your concern though. None needed though.

rkdiddy
Sep 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
What about the MBP?!?!

<crossing fingers>

lhotka
Sep 15, 2008, 02:26 PM

I get great reception on my Verizion wireless card - let's me work darn near anywhere (and not pay for temporary access at a single hotspot, or risk eavesdropping on a public connection). Relying on wi-fi for remote access is always a hit or miss proposition.

Unspeaked
Anyone else get the feeling we've seen the last of Firewire - 400 or 800 - on the MacBook line?

"Sound better" means good headphones and good bit rate..everything else is close to irrelevant.

iPods are supreme in a market that already existed but whose demand Apple reinvented for the whole world, since every other player was a crap and continues to be a crap to this day.

christiemp
Sep 15, 2008, 02:27 PM
I've been so skeptical these days about all things Apple, I guess it's the lack of Steve's distortion field in the last few events... Anyway, I digress:

1) But still lame drives that won't burn DVDs on the entry level machine

2) Crappy onboard graphics card

So I might just wait until January to get the new MBPs...

Btw, by "agressive pricing" I think they mean they'll cut like US$100 from the price, and will get all fanboys shouting how good Steve is to the poor mortals.

$100 off sounds GREAT?! You would rather pay $100 more? I don't get it. What's bad about $100 off. 1400 instead of 1500 for the model I want sounds great. I hope they still have blackbooks in aluminum though...:confused:

*Sandy*
Sep 15, 2008, 02:27 PM
That's good for you, but most people I know use wireless in a lot more places than just home. Speak for yourself and save us from the "overwhelming majority" because many use wireless everywhere they go. I have had a Pro and the wireless wasn't nearly as good as the Macbook I have. I travel and on a cruise in port in PR I can pick up Wi Fi from the casino on land, never going to happen with my MBP.:(

hogfaninga
Sep 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
I get great reception on my Verizion wireless card - let's me work darn near anywhere (and not pay for temporary access at a single hotspot, or risk eavesdropping on a public connection). Relying on wi-fi for remote access is always a hit or miss proposition.

Good for you, but we aren't talking about that.

onicon
Sep 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
I want a new MBP. Though if they'd offer a 15" MB with FW800 and good graphics i'd be tempted.

hogfaninga
Sep 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
I travel and on a cruise in port in PR I can pick up Wi Fi from the casino on land, never going to happen with my MBP.:(

You aren't part of the overwhelming majority who keeps their laptops at home all the time so you don't count. (insert sarcasm)

rlmccormick
What bugs me about rumors of a thin aluminum Macbook is that the Air IS a thin, aluminum Macbook. What's the deal? I wonder if there is any point in selling the Air if the Macbook gets much thinner, gets aluminum and has an LED backlit display.

lhotka
Anyone else get the feeling we've seen the last of Firewire - 400 or 800 - on the MacBook line?

No - there's too many digital cameras that are FW400.

FW800 though, I could see them dumping that and putting in an eSata port on the pro (not on the MB).

I just hope you don't have to buy one of the overly large 17" models to get the good GPU/HD options.

Orng
Sep 15, 2008, 02:30 PM
It seems odd that they would be shipping a month before release. How much can we rely on the source?

They would probably be shipping stock to the stores, not individual units to the consumer. On top of that, we're probably not talking about Fed Ex here, we're probably talking about container ships. :)

I've said this before and nobody bothered to reply but what's the point of better reception if you're never far from the base station anyway? I mean, I'd say the overwhelming majority of people use Wi-Fi in their house. You'd be hard pressed to find any laptop that wouldn't be able to get at 3 "bars" even if you house is fairly large. I just don't see the big deal - I'm never really at a point where I'm thinking "oh man, I wonder if I can get free wi-fi from that hotel over there, dang, bummer." Does that really happen that often?

Go buy yourself an iPod Touch, and in three months you and I will be swapping specs for Wifi-swiping Pringles Cantennaes.

Unspeaked
Sep 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
$100 off sounds GREAT?! You would rather pay $100 more? I don't get it. What's bad about $100 off. 1400 instead of 1500 for the model I want sounds great. I hope they still have blackbooks in aluminum though...:confused:

I agree that they probably will only cut them $100, and that that's a nice discount - but the poster you quoted is right: 75% of the people on this forum will be complaining that $100 isn't "aggressive" enough and that they've been misled.

rushmere

Hopes are getting far too high for possible price cuts.

Apple has stated that it expects profit margins to fall from 34.8% to 31.5% in the near future, and down to around 30% next year.

That may give us some modest price cuts, but it certainly doesn't translate into these huge price cuts that some are hoping for!

sukanas
im not trying to be pessimistic or anything but if macbooks were to come out, "TOMMOROW" then wouldnt we have seen way more reliable sources making these claims?

i guess what i mean is, usually when lets say, a new ipod is coming out, we get a whole buncha rumors leading up to that point

but what we have hear is just one rumor..
of course however this has been going on since may..etc for a long time but stil...

bigmc6000
That wasn't my point at all. Defend it all you want, but the fact remains the aluminum Pro doesn't have as good range as the Macbook. It really isn't such a big deal for most people though, but for some it is.

My University has a great wifi network. Plenty of "juice." Thanks for your concern though. None needed though.

And that was exactly my point - for most people it isn't a big deal.

Also, I'd say if all your MBP buddies are having problems getting on then the network isn't that good (that's not meant as some kind of insult, unless you take offense to your universities Wi-Fi I suppose).

websyndicate
Sep 15, 2008, 02:32 PM
OMG I just sharded!

Tex-Twil
Sep 15, 2008, 02:32 PM
On top of that, we're probably not talking about Fed Ex here, we're probably talking about container ships. :)

I hope the weather forecast will be good on high seas ;)

Toe
Sep 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
Show of hands... how many people have an aluminum PowerBook or MacBook Pro, and how many of those have a dent in a corner and/or a crumpled bit around the ports?

Now how many people have a plastic iBook or MacBook with any sort of case damage?

I used to work in an all-Mac company, and most, yes most, of our aluminum laptops got damaged by the users. Even relatively careful users would eventually bump it off a table or plonk down a backpack that it was in.

We never had a single plastic iBook/MacBook with case damage. After a while, we stopped buying aluminum 'books altogether, unless the user absolutely demanded it. And all of those got damaged.

hogfaninga
Sep 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
And that was exactly my point - for most people it isn't a big deal.

Also, I'd say if all your MBP buddies are having problems getting on then the network isn't that good (that's not meant as some kind of insult, unless you take offense to your universities Wi-Fi I suppose).

For those who need it, it is a big deal. Doesn't matter we won't convince the other. Not worth it.

Tex-Twil
Sep 15, 2008, 02:35 PM
im not trying to be pessimistic or anything but if macbooks were to come out, "TOMMOROW" then wouldnt we have seen way more reliable sources making these claims?
I think you are realistic. I think also that there would be more "movement" if it was for tomorrow.

Unspeaked
Sep 15, 2008, 02:35 PM
No - there's too many digital cameras that are FW400.

FW800 though, I could see them dumping that and putting in an eSata port on the pro (not on the MB).

I just hope you don't have to buy one of the overly large 17" models to get the good GPU/HD options.

If by digital cameras you're referring to video cameras, you make a good point. Still, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they dropped it on all but the highest end model (they need to make up for these "aggressive price cuts" somehow, right?).

I agree that they probably will only cut them $100, and that that's a nice discount - but the poster you quoted is right: 75% of the people on this forum will be complaining that $100 isn't "aggressive" enough and that they've been misled.

Case in point:

rlmccormick
Sep 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
Now how many people have a plastic iBook or MacBook with any sort of case damage?

Well, I for one have the famous peeling matte finish on my black Macbook. I wouldn't say the plastic Macbooks cases are worry free.

christiemp

HAHA. That one made me laugh. ;)

NT1440
What bugs me about rumors of a thin aluminum Macbook is that the Air IS a thin, aluminum Macbook. What's the deal? I wonder if there is any point in selling the Air if the Macbook gets much thinner, gets aluminum and has an LED backlit display.

honest question: Do you understand what the air is and its limitations?

The difference is (to me anyway) is taht the macbook is an actual computer while the air is in many ways the apple version of a netbook (cept it can do more than a craptistic computer actually referred to as a netbook).

NT1440
Sep 15, 2008, 02:39 PM
Show of hands... how many people have an aluminum PowerBook or MacBook Pro, and how many of those have a dent in a corner and/or a crumpled bit around the ports?

I used to work in an all-Mac company, and most, yes most, of our aluminum laptops got damaged by the users. Even relatively careful users would eventually bump it off a table or plonk down a backpack that it was in.

We never had a single plastic iBook/MacBook with case damage. After a while, we stopped buying aluminum 'books altogether, unless the user absolutely demanded it. And all of those got damaged.
how many times have you seen something about the random cracks or peelings of the plastic macbooks?

I for one have seen many.

bigmc6000
Sep 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
They would probably be shipping stock to the stores, not individual units to the consumer. On top of that, we're probably not talking about Fed Ex here, we're probably talking about container ships. :)

Go buy yourself an iPod Touch, and in three months you and I will be swapping specs for Wifi-swiping Pringles Cantennaes.

Well if it's container ships we need to move our guess back to November ;)

No fair comparing the Touch! It's processor isn't even remotely close to that of a MB or MBP - doesn't have the processor power to keep up with the big boys. Now I *know* that plastic gives you better reception - I've had enough Material Sciences classes to know that - I'm just saying that most people don't spend most of their time on the "fringe".

Speaking of Fringe did anybody else watch that last night? I thought it was alright, might watch it again...

alphaod
Sep 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
Tomorrow is Tuesday. Oh noes!!! The Internet will phail from all the repeated refreshes!

rlmccormick
Sep 15, 2008, 02:42 PM
honest question: Do you understand what the air is and its limitations?

The difference is (to me anyway) is taht the macbook is an actual computer while the air is in many ways the apple version of a netbook (cept it can do more than a craptistic computer actually referred to as a netbook).

I understand that the thinness led to the exclusion of ports found on the Macbook. That being said however, if the new Macbook is less than an inch thick AND has the ports available I would think that the attractiveness of the Air comes into question. I'm sure there will still be a market for it but that market is going to shrink.

bigwig
Sep 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
If they dump the Pro as some posters have suggested, what about 30" ACD support? That's not a trivial difference between the regular and Pro laptops (along with FW800).

Drumjim85
Sep 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
"Sound better" means good headphones and good bit rate..everything else is close to irrelevant.

iPods are supreme in a market that already existed but whose demand Apple reinvented for the whole world, since every other player was a crap and continues to be a crap to this day.

while i agree that apple really knows how to play the market, there are a few other important things that effect the sound.
-DAC converters
-Headphone amp

both things can effect the sound greatly..

bigmc6000
Sep 15, 2008, 02:44 PM
how many times have you seen something about the random cracks or peelings of the plastic macbooks?

And it's about fracture mechanics. You can bend and dent an aluminum laptop, you aren't going to do that with a plastic one. It's either going to end up with a scratch or it's going to break. I dropped my PB on it's corner once (in the case) and it's got a fairly noticeable deformation in the corner but it's still trucking along. Now, it's quite possible that with a plastic one nothing would have happened but it's also quite possible that it would have cracked and sent a fracture through the entire body.

SkippyThorson

:p That got a Lol. I want to buy in on this technology! Judging on the amount of Cheeseburger Pringles I buy, I can provide a single point broadcast of Wifi service to the North America Holiday Inn chain. Let's do this!

That is right up there with one of the greatest posts of all time.

Vulcan

And if everyone who has a MacBook had a MBP, we'd hear about denting, scratching, failing latches, etc, a lot more.

supremedesigner
Sep 15, 2008, 02:45 PM
I just pee'd a little. That's awesome!...If true...

Yes, 10 years from now, you'll be like WTF - MB looks ugly than today so slow! I'll LOL'd at you. :)

rezonat0r
Sep 15, 2008, 02:47 PM
That exactly what I suggested over a month ago. :cool:

Great minds think alike. : ) Ever since the aluminum Macbook cases were leaked, it became clear to me what Apple's strategy will be: Simplify their notebook line before a "future product transition" to touch tablets.

Now the 13" Macbook is going to look almost *exactly* like the 15" and 17" MBP. Same Air-like keyboard (probably), LED and multitouch... The "Pro" name becomes meaningless.

I'm waiting for a mini or equivilent (dell studio hybrid) to come with the onboard GPU x4500 HD and a blu-ray option.

That will make the perfect Home Theater PC with Plex (XBMC) installed.

Could not agree more. A new Mac Mini will finally let my original Xbox rest in peace. Slight correction though: Plex is a fork of XBMC. XBMC is coming out with their own Mac version. So there will be at least two (similar) choices for good media centers on OSX.

bananas
Sep 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
Here they come!
And I want one, even though I don't need one :)

JG271
Sep 15, 2008, 02:49 PM

I think given that many of apple's customers still work with audio and video, both of which often require firewire for cameras or interfaces. I don't think its the end of firewire just yet, until they make a high bandwidth replacement, or usb3 takes over as the standard.

Andy-V
Sep 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
As he said "Macbooks" that could include the MBP as well.

/optimism

Col127
Sep 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
sounds amazing :) can't wait to see what comes out!

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Barrons reports (http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/09/15/apple-citi-says-sept-qtr-tracking-ahead-of-street-ests-contends-shipments-have-begun-on-new-macbooks/?mod=googlenews_barrons) on an analyst note from Citigroup's Richard Gardner who claims to have received confirmation that new MacBooks are shipping.

The report cites "field checks" as the source of the information and describes the new MacBooks with a "very thin aluminum casing, an LED-backlit display and an aggressive entry-level price point."

This description matches many of the circulating rumors, including photos that claimed (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/04/leaked-aluminum-macbook-case/) to depict the new MacBook. Also, the "aggressive" price point could also represent the lower margins that Apple predicted for future quarters during their Q3 2008 Financial Results (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/21/apple-announces-1-07-billion-in-profit-for-q3-2008/). At that time, Apple described a "future product transition" which could impact margins.

The most recent claims have pinpointed October 14th (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/10/apple-notebook-updates-on-october-14th-120gb-macbook-air-hdd/) as the possible day for the MacBook release.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/15/macbook-shipments-have-begun/)

atlendor
Sep 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
As long as Apple beats those new offerings from Sony, I'll be very happy! The Z, SR, FW, and soon to be released AW have an amazing design and specs! I love how Sony eliminated the excess border around the screen, particularly in the 13inch models. PLEASE APPLE! DO ELIMINATE THAT BORDER.

I couldn't agree more. :)

I was going to get an Air, but for all its compromises. However, with no border around the screen a new MacBook would be an excellent compromise. Especially if a little lighter, too.... :rolleyes:

sighlent
Sep 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
I'm guessing tomorrow since the education iPod + Mac promotion ends today, and tomorrow is a Tuesday.

Desamell
Sep 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
october 26th

NT1440
Sep 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
And if everyone who has a MacBook had a MBP, we'd hear about denting, scratching, failing latches, etc, a lot more.

well mayb its just me, but personally id rather have a dent or a scratch than an actual structual damage to my computer.

polaris20
Sep 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
It'll be cool if they throw the HDMI on there too, as the GPU (X4300) supports it. The new Thinkpad R400 has HDMI ports, and that's a great addition. Many companies such as mine are now using plasma or LCD monitors for smaller conference rooms instead of LCD projectors. They look great when doing presentations!

Not to mention the tons of TVs out there with HDMI in homes.

teasphere
Sep 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
Back to school promo ends today... It's wishful thinking for me as I have been waiting to see the offering and to determine if it is time to finally add a Mac to my stable.

As for the ALU and wifi issues, this is no different than the MBPs or the old 12"ers which were also ALU and work fine with Wifi. Yes, it probably has a small impact but if you need to be that far away from the AP then get a higher gain antenna for your AP. Unless your coffee shop is bigger than a Walmart you should be fine there too.

You give me $899 a DVDRW drive and Intel X4500 graphics and I'm in the second they are announced. I'd probably still bite at $999 but a $200+ premium over a better spec'd (but uglier) lappy is tougher to swallow.

NT1440
Sep 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
I think given that many of apple's customers still work with audio and video, both of which often require firewire for cameras or interfaces. I don't think its the end of firewire just yet, until they make a high bandwidth replacement, or usb3 takes over as the standard.

didnt a newer FW standard get approved just a few months ago? I for one dont see FW dying unless usb 3 has the sustained transfer rates. Id actually prefer to see FW have more of a market share, but im always rootin for the lil guy lol

nsjoker
Sep 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
"Aggressive price point" probably means $999, though here's to hoping it's $899, that would be fantastic.

Toe
Sep 15, 2008, 02:59 PM
well mayb its just me, but personally id rather have a dent or a scratch than an actual structual damage to my computer.

Dents in aluminum PB/MBPs have a lot of ramifications. Often it means the book doesn't close. And depending on where the dent is, it can mean the optical drive doesn't work and/or one or more ports are unusable. Sometimes the power-jack. It can also muck with the internal components, as there isn't really a lot of empty space inside there (like none, really).

After seeing the problems that all my aluminum users had, I bought a BlackBook. I coulda afforded a MBP, and I really wanted the graphics card, but I didn't want the hassle of dealing with aluminum.

Cpt. Morgan
Sep 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
I hope to god that it isn't just thinner with a LED screen and a 100$ price drop. That will be unacceptable.

Give me a MacBook with a 3rd USB port, a proper optical drive, a mediocre GPU, and 200$ off current MacBook prices.

Fore sure it will see a speed bump, a hard drive bump and a increased CPU clock speed (2.6ghz or 2.53ghz to high)

Full multi touch would be cool, but its not needed at all.

Come on Apple, do the consumer a favor and provide a properly equipped and priced computer.

Does anyone think the MBP will also be updated? I hope it is at the same time or roughly the same time because if not, the updates on the MacBook won't be major which is what they need to do.

NT1440
Sep 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
It'll be cool if they throw the HDMI on there too, as the GPU (X4300) supports it. The new Thinkpad R400 has HDMI ports, and that's a great addition. Many companies such as mine are now using plasma or LCD monitors for smaller conference rooms instead of LCD projectors. They look great when doing presentations!

Not to mention the tons of TVs out there with HDMI in homes.

very stupid question here because i dont really follow things such as HDMI but would this be hdmi out? or would i possibly be able to use my laptop as a screen for , say, my 360?

keep in mind im not really good with video connection jargin.

Shasterball
Sep 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
It would be very hard to find something to argue with here!

EMT123
Sep 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
sweet jesus!

Apple-Muck
Sep 15, 2008, 03:06 PM
My guess is ...new a new aluminium Macbook in October and a new "blow away" MBP at Macworld...
But then again , it's just a guess ;) .....based on Apple's notebook revision habits in the last couple of years.

By the way ... Nice to be part of the Mac Rumors forums ... after many years of passive and sometimes funny reading ;)

motulist
Matte screen?

Is there a chance of that? My 1 GHz G4 powerbook is still chugging along reasonably well, and I've been thinking about upgrading for at least a couple of years, but until I can get a matte screen on a sub $1300 laptop then Apple won't be getting any of my money. Why doesn't Apple want my money?

The cost of manufacturing a matte screen is basically the same as making a glossy screen. I know that Apple wants to reserve certain features for the powerbook to make it seem like it's worth the extra money so that hopefully more people will buy a MBPro instead of a MB, but come on, the screen coating is a fricken little piece of plastic, not a blu-ray burner. And anecdotally I know of a bunch of other people in the same boat as me. So there's at least a significant portion of us out there.

I know there are matte screen coatings you can buy, but they don't look good enough in the pictures I've seen.

MacBook with a matte screen or bust!

p.s. Please don't turn this into a discussion about whether matte or glossy is better or why it shouldn't make a difference. That has been discussed ad nauseam and the definite consensus answer is that it comes down to personal preference. Some people greatly prefer glossy, some people greatly prefer matte, and some people think it makes little difference. Some people greatly prefer chocolate, some greatly prefer vanilla, and some people have little preference.

polaris20
very stupid question here because i dont really follow things such as HDMI but would this be hdmi out? or would i possibly be able to use my laptop as a screen for , say, my 360?

keep in mind im not really good with video connection jargin.

I would be 99% sure that it would be HDMI out so that you could use HDMI equipped displays as monitors for the MacBook, as would be the case if I hooked it up to our 52" Plasma in a conference room. I can do that now via a DVI-to-HDMI converter (Belkin makes a nice one) but I'd rather it be a single piece cable. Plus it would get rid of the current mini-DVI to DVI dongle.

Conceivably they could also have an HDMI input, enabling HD recording to iMovie, but I'd think that'd be highly unlikely, especially give MacBook's price point.

NT1440
Sep 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
heres another concern on my mind. If it does indeed take on the tapered air look, where are they going to put all the ports? And i hope to god that its not all in the back, im sure many will agree with me that when you have ur laptop on your lap with anything plugged into the back in a usb port, it gets very uncomfortable having it prod you in the leg. Often i feel like im going to break off the usb port.

I think usb ports on the side are the way to go.

Anyone feel like making a mockup? there all over the site yes, but for some reason i havnt seen one in this thread yet:p

chadder007
Sep 15, 2008, 03:08 PM

It will probably be another 2 weeks. They usually ship things out to make sure the stores have them ready and in stock for the announcement.

Unspeaked
I hope to god that it isn't just thinner with a LED screen and a 100$ price drop. That will be unacceptable.

I hope that was sarcasm...

Aznsensation45
yes!! backlit LED!! YESSSS!! LOW PRICE POINT!!! i'm soo getting a white one the first day it comes out. maybe tomorrow? anyone? anyone?:D

apull
Sep 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
Come on Apple, do the consumer a favor and provide a properly equipped and priced computer.

hah! this is funny! capitalism works like this: you offer as little as possible for as much as people will pay. as long as fanboys are willing to pay more money for less product, apple would be quite un-american to give them more product for less money.

solution? get half the mac users in the world to buy pcs instead of macs, and watch the prices plummet. (as if mac users would buy pcs though...and apple knows exactly that!)

NT1440
Sep 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
I would be 99% sure that it would be HDMI out so that you could use HDMI equipped displays as monitors for the MacBook, as would be the case if I hooked it up to our 52" Plasma in a conference room. I can do that now via a DVI-to-HDMI converter (Belkin makes a nice one) but I'd rather it be a single piece cable. Plus it would get rid of the current mini-DVI to DVI dongle.

Conceivably they could also have an HDMI input, enabling HD recording to iMovie, but I'd think that'd be highly unlikely, especially give MacBook's price point.
thanks for the response, and yes i too enjoy the all in one experience rather than the "buy an adapter" one :p

mayb HDMI in on the pro? (or does it already have that, it sucks not knowing these things since i STILL dont have my own mac.:()

LeoFio
Sep 15, 2008, 03:12 PM
I would rather have apple pack as many features in at the current price point than to skimp in some areas for an "aggressive" price.

viccles
Sep 15, 2008, 03:14 PM
I am soooo happy :D *Fingers crossed for tomorrow. If not tomorrow, maybe two weeks time?

morespce54
...Then if I enjoy a Mac as much as I think I will...

Oh, you will, my friend! ;)

iCries
Mac OS X 10.5.5 is out, where is the support for the new models? I doubt they will be released tomorrow, October 14 sounds awful but reasonable.

EMT123
Sep 15, 2008, 03:16 PM

I agree, shipping a month in advance seems a little fishy. If the rumored Oct. 14th date is the unveiling of the new MBs, one would venture to say they would ship out a week or two before that date.

HandleVandal
Sep 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
My enthusiasm for a possible "aggressive entry-level price point." is now compensating for my decided lack of enthusiasm about the aluminum and consequent crappy wifi reception.

My G3 iBook is really beginning to show its age here recently and while I was hoping for a backlit keyboard without having to buy a MBP, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Not to mention I'm still pessimistic that Apple will half-ass the optical drive, especially on the "entry-level" MB.

I'm very curious, but not overly excited (I know, "bad Mac fan! bad!").

rlmccormick
Sep 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
Mac OS X 10.5.5 is out, where is the support for the new models? I doubt they will be released tomorrow, October 14 sounds awful but reasonable.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm downloading now!

derryquinn
Sep 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
Matte screen?

Is there a chance of that? My 1 GHz G4 powerbook is still chugging along reasonably well, and I've been thinking about upgrading for at least a couple of years, but until I can get a matte screen on a sub $1300 laptop then Apple won't be getting any of my money. Why doesn't Apple want my money?

Use sandpaper to sand the gloss off?

emotion
Sep 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
10.5.5 has just landed. Needed for the new Macbooks out tomorrow?

Anyone done any analysis of binaries/libs/plists etc for strings?

EMT123
Sep 15, 2008, 03:20 PM

No. I can't see how that would have a downward effect on earnings.

Dias
Sep 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
Ok, with 10.5.5 out I guess there is a liiiiitle hope for MacBook tomorrow. Plz Steve, make it true! :apple:

supremedesigner
Sep 15, 2008, 03:23 PM
Matte screen?

The cost of manufacturing a matte screen is basically the same as making a glossy screen. I know that Apple wants to reserve certain features for the powerbook to make it seem like it's worth the extra money so that hopefully more people will buy a MBPro instead of a MB, but come on, the screen coating is a fricken little piece of plastic, not a blu-ray burner. And anecdotally I know of a bunch of other people in the same boat as me. So there's at least a significant portion of us out there.

I know there are matte screen coatings you can buy, but they don't look good enough in the pictures I've seen.

MacBook with a matte screen or bust!

p.s. Please don't turn this into a discussion about whether matte or glossy is better or why it shouldn't make a difference. That has been discussed ad nauseam and the definite consensus answer is that it comes down to personal preference. Some people greatly prefer glossy, some people greatly prefer matte, and some people think it makes little difference. Some people greatly prefer chocolate, some greatly prefer vanilla, and some people have little preference.

I think Apple decided to use GLOSSY for consumers while MATTE (and GLOSSY) for PRO. That's why iMac no longer have MATTE b/c Apple is "pushing" graphic designers to macpro or macbook pro instead of iMac. They gotta make money though but that's me. I personally can't use GLOSSY for my work so instead I buy MBP or MP for MATTE. Kinda sucks, does it?

supremedesigner
Sep 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
As he said "Macbooks" that could include the MBP as well.

/optimism

BETTER BE!

motulist
Sep 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
Matte screen?

Is there a chance of that?

Use sandpaper to sand the gloss off?

Ha! Great idea! Sanding my screen down couldn't possibly cause any problems right? ;)

derryquinn
Sep 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
Engadget is reporting that stores will be selling on sep 23rd!

puckhead193
Sep 15, 2008, 03:26 PM
hope for a pro update as well :cool:

Knuffo
Sep 15, 2008, 03:26 PM
Engadget points at september 23rd.

I'm slow.

starman0147
Sep 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
30th I reckon, Apple will wait 2 week after the back to school promotions has finished.

derryquinn
Sep 15, 2008, 03:29 PM
Ha! Great idea! Sanding my screen down couldn't possibly cause any problems right? ;)

Of course not!

I like this guy, i'm gonna need your number, address and social security number :D (im assuming you're american)

Orng

I can't speak to that, but I DO have right here on my desk a rare and valuable Stinky iBook (http://www.google.ca/search?q=stinky+ibook&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a). Peee-you!

Compile 'em all
Some idiot is going to vote that this is negative, and I want to know who that idiot is!!!!

hahaa..well u need to get used to him. he always does that.

Orng
Sep 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
Well if it's container ships we need to move our guess back to November ;)
Yes, but it did say "already" shipped.

No fair comparing the Touch! ... I'm just saying that most people don't spend most of their time on the "fringe".

You and I both know that I totally just wanted to use "Pringles Cantenna" in a sentence. :) That being said, lots of people have a Touch, which in turn is turning lots of normal people into Wifi Pirates. Yaaar!

Even my wife, who will knock on your door to give you hell if she detects unprotected wifi coming from your house, has softened on the topic since she needed to use my iPT to get her email while on vacation. Avast!

:p That got a Lol. I want to buy in on this technology! Judging on the amount of Cheeseburger Pringles I buy, I can provide a single point broadcast of Wifi service to the North America Holiday Inn chain. Let's do this!

That is right up there with one of the greatest posts of all time.

Well, thanks!

To be honest, though, I'm a little unsure how to connect the Pringles Cantenna to the Touch, to say nothing of the problem of carrying it around downtown without getting arrested for "carrying mysterious looking things that the Police can't identify but seems mighty suspicious."

motulist
Sep 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
Of course not!

I like this guy, i'm gonna need your number, address and social security number :D (im assuming you're american)

Sure, why not? Announcing my personal ID info on a public forum couldn't cause any problems, right? I'll start by giving you the combination to my luggage, the combination number is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5.

Beric
Sep 15, 2008, 03:34 PM
To those saying a tiny $100 price drop is "aggressive pricing", let's go over to HP, one of Apple's biggest competitors.

We'll compare the current Macbook, but the new processors clearly are going to be more powerful. However, that will most likely be the only difference in specs. And, as most people want a cheap laptop, we'll go with the bottom-model Macbook. And as people seem to value the thin and light part of the Macbook (although it is, unfortunately, impossible to buy a laptop that is NOT thin and light, and therefore cheaper), I'll go for HP models that are thin and light.

Macbook: $1099 (http://store.apple.com)
2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Intel integrated graphics.
5.0 Pounds, 1.08 inches thick.
Wireless N, Bluetooth
1280x800 13" display

HP dv4z series: $810 (www.shopping.hp.com)
AMD Turion(TM) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-80 (2.1 GHz)
2GB DDR2 System Memory (an extra 1 GB was free)
160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive (free upgrade)
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics (WAY better graphics than the Macbook)
4.82 lbs, 1.34 inches thick. (less weight, slightly thicker)
Wireless N, Bluetooth
1280x800 12" display
This notebook is better than the Macbook in specs, and yet is almost $300 cheaper.

HP dv4z series: $949 (www.shopping.hp.com)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7350 (2.0GHz)
3GB DDR2 System Memory (an extra 2GB was free)
250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive (free upgrade)
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 (or, $50 more for 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS)
5.18lbs, 1.34 inches thick. (teeny bit more weight, slightly thicker)
Wireless N, Bluetooth
1280x800 14" display
This notebook is approaching the Macbook's price, but is WAY better in specs.

Apparently Apple needs to lower their prices on Macbooks $300-$400 to be competitive.

Please, no arguments on how OSX is better and there worth spending more money for. That's not what we're talking about here. We're simply comparing specs to specs. If a notebook is "price-competitive", that means it has comparable specs to its competitor at a comparable price. The OS does NOT matter in this comparison. Please note I didn't even go into the dell laptops, which tend to be sightly cheaper than HP's. And yet the HP's are SO much cheaper than the Macbooks, and yet have much better specs.

Spades
Sep 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'll start by giving you the combination to my luggage, the combination number is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5.

That's amazing. I have the exact same combination on my planetary air shield.

CWallace
Sep 15, 2008, 03:37 PM
A $999 entry-level MacBook sounds about right. Margins are expected to drop around 5% and Intel recently lowered their prices on a number of CPUs. So Apple could cut prices with existing specs or offer more powerful specs at current prices.

motulist
Sep 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
I think Apple decided to use GLOSSY for consumers while MATTE (and GLOSSY) for PRO. That's why iMac no longer have MATTE b/c Apple is "pushing" graphic designers to macpro or macbook pro instead of iMac. They gotta make money though but that's me. I personally can't use GLOSSY for my work so instead I buy MBP or MP for MATTE. Kinda sucks, does it?

I'm the same way, except I use a different solution because I'm not a super power user. When I get a new laptop if Apple doesn't have a sub $1300 laptop with a glossy screen then I'm gonna buy a used MBP that's a couple of generations old (and not an Apple refurbed MBP because that's still over $1300). And I bought a laptop for my mom recently, but instead of giving Apple $800 for a new MacBook, I bought a maxed out last gen powerbook G4 1.5 GHz with high res screen for $650.

So Apple lost about $800 on my mom's laptop purchase and they might lose as much as $1300 on my next laptop purchase. I guess Apple hasn't wanted my money over the past few years. I guess they think they make more money by abandoning my purchasing dollars.

CWallace
Sep 15, 2008, 03:41 PM
To those saying a tiny $100 price drop is "aggressive pricing", let's go over to HP, one of Apple's biggest competitors.

HP makes 5% profit on their PC sales. Apple makes 30% profit.

And you can't just look at the price of components in a vacuum, otherwise all Wintel PCs would cost the same with the same spec and while they are close, they don't.

There is a reason a great many people pay a great deal more for an Apple-branded computer and it is not because they are fabulously wealthy or because they are stupid.

Maybe if HP makes their own OS and it's great, they can instill in the marketplace the idea that it's worth paying more for. Or maybe HP just needs to be more aggressive at lowering their production costs, since Dell makes close to 15% profit on their machines.

viccles
Sep 15, 2008, 03:43 PM
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow but I bet it will be by the end of September if they are already shipping. Or perhaps they will be in the Apple online store tomorrow and we will have to wait 2-3 weeks?

Snowcat001
Sep 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
you could house the antenna for wifi in the plastic apple logo on the back and in the screen housing plastic bezel :cool:

This would be very smart move and might explain the extra holes in the logo we saw in de leaked mb case.
I hope you're right about this!

akm3
Sep 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
With *Allllll* the leaks lately, wouldn't we have heard/seen more of a MB / MBP refresh then we have? The only things we've seen on a new MB are the top and bottom shell of an aluminum case. We've seen nothing on the MBP except fan photoshops.

Apple's leak control has been awful lately, do we think they could have slipped this one through?

Also, why is there no media event scheduled if they are shipping so quickly? Could this be a silent refresh with the current case designs and a 'real' refresh happening in January/March?

iCries
Sep 15, 2008, 03:48 PM
With *Allllll* the leaks lately, wouldn't we have heard/seen more of a MB / MBP refresh then we have? The only things we've seen on a new MB are the top and bottom shell of an aluminum case. We've seen nothing on the MBP except fan photoshops.

Apple's leak control has been awful lately, do we think they could have slipped this one through?

Also, why is there no media event scheduled if they are shipping so quickly? Could this be a silent refresh with the current case designs and a 'real' refresh happening in January/March?

Did you read the news post at all? The next models wont use plastic, thats pretty much guaranteed.

Eidorian
Sep 15, 2008, 03:49 PM
A $999 entry-level MacBook sounds about right. Margins are expected to drop around 5% and Intel recently lowered their prices on a number of CPUs. So Apple could cut prices with existing specs or offer more powerful specs at current prices.I'm going with $999 as the MacBook starting point as well.

Think it'll still have a Combo Drive? :rolleyes:

EMT123
Sep 15, 2008, 03:49 PM

is it possible to make a black aluminum that will sustain through use?

Vulcan
Sep 15, 2008, 03:52 PM
Did you read the news post at all? The next models wont use plastic, thats pretty much guaranteed.

Thanks for informing us Steve.

Anuba
Sep 15, 2008, 03:57 PM
Again with the "very thin"... what features have they ditched this time to make it invisible from the side? Did someone ever complain about the thickness of the current MacBook generation?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to the new MacBooks, but Apple is starting to develop some sort of bizarre product line-wide anorexia, painting themselves into a corner by focusing so obsessively on thinness that they can no longer release a product unless it's thinner than its predecessor. The result is dropped features, dubious battery life, heat problems, quality issues and other undesirable side effects.

As tempting as it is to crack jokes about Apple's increasingly anorexic designs mirroring Steve's appearance, I'll pass on that and just say that they need to take a deep breath, take a step back and start thinking about what they can add to make the products better, and stop thinking about what they can remove without making them worse.

viccles
Sep 15, 2008, 03:58 PM
I really hope its tomorrow. I've started uni again and I'm also teaching as well so I really need a good laptop. My eee pc doesn't cut it. Comeeeeeeeeeeee onnnnnnn tmoorrow. Tuesday nights have become nights I don't sleep too much :D

Cpt. Morgan
Sep 15, 2008, 03:59 PM

We'll compare the current Macbook, but the new processors clearly are going to be more powerful. However, that will most likely be the only difference in specs. And, as most people want a cheap laptop, we'll go with the bottom-model Macbook. And as people seem to value the thin and light part of the Macbook (although it is, unfortunately, impossible to buy a laptop that is NOT thin and light, and therefore cheaper), I'll go for HP models that are thin and light.

2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Wireless N, Bluetooth
1280x800 13" display

Wireless N, Bluetooth
1280x800 12" display
This notebook is better than the Macbook in specs, and yet is almost $300 cheaper.

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 (or, $50 more for 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS)
Wireless N, Bluetooth
1280x800 14" display

Apparently Apple needs to lower their prices on Macbooks $300-$400 to be competitive.

Please, no arguments on how OSX is better and there worth spending more money for. That's not what we're talking about here. We're simply comparing specs to specs. If a notebook is "price-competitive", that means it has comparable specs to its competitor at a comparable price. The OS does NOT matter in this comparison. Please note I didn't even go into the dell laptops, which tend to be sightly cheaper than HP's. And yet the HP's are SO much cheaper than the Macbooks, and yet have much better specs.

Thank you very much. If I were god I'd promote you to the head of Sales at Apple.

Spid
Sep 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
here are my observations:

1- There's no doubt Apple wants to be a "Green" company (note how Steve J. mentioned the non-toxic elements for the last iPod Nano and new iPod Touch),

2- iMacs are still up to date, contrary to MacBooks, MacBooks Pro and Macs Mini which definitely need an update as well in design than in performance,

3- The "Music" Line (iPods) is just refreshed before the holiday season,

4- from all various rumors about the waited "Computers" line update:

There' now absolutely no doubt the "Computer" line will be updated soon, before the holiday season. Apple already missed the Back-to-School sales (because the delay on new chips), they can't also miss Christmas!!

Here is what we could probably expect for the October (14th?) event:

1- New MacBook (13.3"), with aluminum case, LED-Backlight Display, and hopefully a backlight keyboard. Of course, it will be very thin... Thin, toxic free and cheaper are the 3 main words right now for Apple. So, we can probably imagine to see the MacBook under $1000. (probably $999 for the entry level)

2- New MacBook Pro (15 & 17"), with a new very thin design and maybe the Mobile Quad core and BluRay for the higher version... and probably also $200 cheaper.

3- New iTunes Services:
- to download apps for OS X (Desktop/Notebook)
- to download and read eBooks
- to stream TV Channels (for iTunes Pro User: Subscription)

4- New Mac Mini (Apple TV Pro): New version of Mac Mini with a very thin and nice design, such of Apple TV Pro with new version of FrontRow. With a 1080p resolution for HD content, BluRay drive with realtime decompression, large HD with DVR features (as TiVO does) but with iTunes and iTunes Streaming integration (to compete directly with Netflix and last Amazon). It could be available between $399 and $499 will come to complete the line with Apple TV.

5- MacBook Air update with faster CPUs (1.83 GHz?) and larger HD/SSD (128 Gb?).

6- Free Software Update for Apple TV for new iTunes features. (Also a free eBook Reader App for iPhone / iPod Touch 2.x)

7- Demo and Testimonial from the TV Industry and Book Industry guys.

By doing so, All "Notebook" will be updated with nice new design and specs, and built without any toxic elements.

What we can expect for the MacWorld 2009:

1- Mac Pro and Cinema Display: New CPUs, BluRay, etc...

2- New iMac 30" and update of the iMac line with BluRay on the highest models.

3- Introduction of Snow Leopard (and release for Developers), if integration with Touchscreen features. Update SDK to develop apps for Snow Leopard and iTouch (including Games).

4- Introduction of iTouch/iTablet/etc... (the $599, $699, $799 and $899 price range). Finally the merge of netbook, sub-book, tablet, umpc devices. Could maybe be available in 2 models: iTouch (Atom 1.33 GHz, 1Gb, 16 Gb, 5 & 7") and iTouch Pro (Atom 1.66 & 1.83 GHz, 2Gb, 32 and 64 Gb, 5", 7" and 8.9"). Dual Touchscreen (for finger & pen use), no drive, very light (between 1 and 2 pounds), full connectivity (Wifi, 3G, Edge, BT, Ethernet), long battery time (enough for a full day of a student or business man), onboard iSight, GPS, Accelerometer, USB ports, Speakers, mic, OS X Snow Leopard, some controllers for volume, headphone & mic plugs, Video out, few buttons and dock.

Demo of the power of Snow Leopard features for the Tablet (for zoom, navigation, usability, etc...), usage with finger and pen for graphic guys, etc... Demo of different usage such eBook, iTunes, integration with iTunes Store, iTunes Streaming and App Store to buy and download new apps, Mail, Safari, iCal, Games, etc... Attending Release date for April '09.

5- iLife '09 & iWork '09: with new features such a better integration of iWeb '09 with MobileMe, some features such WordPress in iWeb/MobileMe, some tools to create eBooks, new version of iCal, Mail (even MobileMe version) for better integration with Exchange (share of contact, calendar, task, etc...). Demo of the features with the iTouch and demonstration on how could be great a "mobile work" and "mobile life" and how it will be primordial to update your iLife '08 (deliver with your fresh brand new laptop bought just before christmas) or even why you should buy for a MobileMe account, which will finally become more useful.

6- Demo and Testimonial from partners to explain how great it is to work with/for Apple.

By doing so, all "Professional" and "Family" devices will be udpated and developers will have an SDK to develop new apps for OS X Snow Leopard... As well for Desktop/Notebook than for Tablet version.

Both case, the distribution will go through iTunes to reinforce the Apple philosophy... No packaging, no trees cute for manuals, books and box, no gas to transport the boxes and no pollution emission.... It will be a solution economically and ecologically more interesting... And in other hands, developers will be "guarantee" of security against piracy and Apple will generate large profit.

After Music, Movies, TV Shows, AudioBooks, eBooks, Mobile Apps/Games, then it will be the Desktop Apps & Games...

Because iTouch will be a perfect devices for games too... As we saw for iPhone and then for iPod, the Games become a big deal for Apple... just to add more "fun" for their platform, already great for work, life and professional stuff. And in any pricing and specs, they will have a product to reply to your need... in 3 lines: Mobile, Portable and Desktop.

Mobile: $199 3.5" iPhone / $399 3.5" iPod Touch / $599 5" iTouch / $799 7" iTouch Pro / $899 8.9" iTouch Pro

Portable: $999 13.3" MacBook (DVD) / $1399 13.3" MacBook (BluRay) / $1599 13.3" MacBook Air / $1799 15" MacBook Pro / $2499 17" MacBook Pro

Desktop: $399 Mac mini (Combo) / $499 Mac mini (DVD) / $599 Mac Mini (BluRay) / $999 20" iMac / $1599 24" iMac / $2499 30" iMac / $2499+ Mac Pro

Again, that's only my observation (and wish :) ), not any official leak or whatsoever. And again, the list is pretty huge and nothing is guaranteed.

Spid

isoceles
Sep 15, 2008, 04:00 PM
It seems like the only things i have been reading lately are about the MB. Wouldn't Apple want to refresh the MBP at the same time? It would seem odd for them to update one and have the more expensive MBP in an old case with sightly better specs and a larger monitor. I just want to get everyone elses 2 cents.

CWallace
Sep 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
I'm going with $999 as the MacBook starting point as well.

Think it'll still have a Combo Drive? :rolleyes:

I really, really hope not. :p

iCries
Sep 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks for informing us Steve.

I guess that came out a bit wrong, but from every rumor and leak we've heard the macbook is transitioning to aluminum enclosures, I see no logical point of releasing a plastic model now and releasing a similarly specced macbook with aluminum in January...

busterbluth
Sep 15, 2008, 04:06 PM
Will both be updated!!! Come ON!!!

macerroneous
Sep 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
I think new price will equal "old price minus Touch price". That way, no one can whine about how they got ripped off on the free ipod Touch back-to-school deal.

SirOmega
Sep 15, 2008, 04:08 PM
My predictions:
$899 - 2.26Ghz, 1GB, 120GB HD, Combo drive, 13" LED LCD
$1099 - 2.4GHz, 2GB, 160GB, Super drive, 13" LED LCD
$1399 - 2.4GHz, 4GB, 250GB, Super drive, 13" LED LCD

I'd be in for the 1099 model, plus Applecare, would be about 1350+tax.

Though I would go as far to say with those prices, no more student discounts (right now the baseline MB is $999 w/ student discount, $100 off).

Note that the CPUs used would be 25W, not the current 35W, so Apple could get by with a slightly smaller battery for the same charge time, reducing costs in that way as well.

Don't forget that as Apple moves further down price wise, more pricing pressure will be put on HP and Dell.

Beric
Sep 15, 2008, 04:12 PM
Thank you very much. If I were god I'd promote you to the head of Sales at Apple.

I don't desire to do anything except say that Apple's prices are not competitive, and will not be without a $300-$400 price-drop, which I would bet everything I ow that Apple will not due. Thus, we can say with certainty that the new Apple Macbooks will NOT be price-competitive.

I wasn't trying to tell Apple to lower its prices with my long and well-investigated previous post. I was simply saying that Apple is not price-competitive, and therefore dispelling the rumor that such a thing might happen anytime in the near future.

EDIT: My predictions:

Though I would go as far to say with those prices, no more student discounts (right now the baseline MB is $999 w/ student discount, $100 off).

Note that the CPUs used would be 25W, not the current 35W, so Apple could get by with a slightly smaller battery for the same charge time, reducing costs in that way as well.

Don't forget that as Apple moves further down price wise, more pricing pressure will be put on HP and Dell.

Those prices would still be at least $200 more than their PC counterparts. There would be no price competition at those prices.

The Awesome
Sep 15, 2008, 04:13 PM
HOOAH

About time! :D

Come on, update! (Gonna be my first Mac, ladies and gentlemen!)

My predictions:

I don't think Apple would lower the prices (though that would be very awesome) because by aggressive pricing and smaller margins, I think they're talking about the more expensive aluminum casing eating into the $1099+ selling price.

Apple usually adds/enhances features while keeping the price (and that damn Combo Drive).

Nano-chromatic casings, anyone?

iMacmatician
Sep 15, 2008, 04:15 PM

i guess what i mean is, usually when lets say, a new ipod is coming out, we get a whole buncha rumors leading up to that pointAgreed. We would probably have had a number of rumors in the past few days.

Engadget is reporting that stores will be selling on sep 23rd!That seems to be for the MacBook Pros. That's even better!

I'm going with $999 as the MacBook starting point as well.

Think it'll still have a Combo Drive? :rolleyes:Well you can't have both…

polaris20
Sep 15, 2008, 04:17 PM

2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Wireless N, Bluetooth
1280x800 13" display

Wireless N, Bluetooth
1280x800 12" display

Wireless N, Bluetooth
1280x800 14" display

Don't be ignorant. OS most definitely matters, as it's the primary reason for switching away from Windows, and therefore buying a Mac in the first place.

derryquinn
Sep 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
Sure, why not? Announcing my personal ID info on a public forum couldn't cause any problems, right? I'll start by giving you the combination to my luggage, the combination number is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5.

Oh cool, I'll give you some

Visa Card
5689*4578*9856*1520
PIN 5612
CCV2 506
EXP 09/11

Beric
Sep 15, 2008, 04:18 PM
Well you can't have both…

Says who? Apple? You can have both plus $300 additional in specs for $999 in an equivalent PC, with similar weight and thickness.

marbles
Sep 15, 2008, 04:20 PM
My predictions:

Good predictions , although we must be aware that the pressures that may be applied to HP & Dell in the pricing 'game' will also be applied to Apples' QC department and tbh , I think that that is one dept at Apple where investment is needed , not taken away .I'm concerned ...might hold off on buying till second gen ??
I'll have to see what pans out here in the next few weeks

Beric
Sep 15, 2008, 04:20 PM
Don't be ignorant. OS most definitely matters, as it's the primary reason for switching away from Windows, and therefore buying a Mac in the first place.

I never said OS does not matter. I said OS does not matter in a pure price-comparison. There's a BIG difference. If you want competitive prices, you have to have similar specs for similar amounts of money. OS does not matter in a pure specs-comparison. OS matters when you look beyond the specs. And then specs and price-competition don't really matter.

mr.steevo
Sep 15, 2008, 04:21 PM
About time! :D

Come on, update! (Gonna be my first Mac, ladies and gentlemen!)

Yikes.

First Mac and you want it to be the first version of an untested product? Wait for version 2.

s.

Mr. Harris
Sep 15, 2008, 04:23 PM
hope its true...futhermore I hope the MBP isn't too far behind.

Beric
Sep 15, 2008, 04:23 PM
Yikes.

First Mac and you want it to be the first version of an untested product? Wait for version 2.

s.

You can get Applecare and not worry for the life of your notebook. However, that's even more money.

icy-macpro
Sep 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
My powerbook 12" will still be the greatest.

bigmc6000
Sep 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
Oh cool, I'll give you some

Visa Card
5689*4578*9856*1520
PIN 5612
CCV2 506
EXP 09/11

Maybe I'm the superstitious type but I wouldn't keep a card that had an expiration of "9/11"...

mr.steevo
Sep 15, 2008, 04:28 PM
I never said OS does not matter. I said OS does not matter in a pure price-comparison. There's a BIG difference. If you want competitive prices, you have to have similar specs for similar amounts of money. OS does not matter in a pure specs-comparison. OS matters when you look beyond the specs. And then specs and price-competition don't really matter.

Hi,

The problem with comparing specs is you usually only get the speed and/or capacity of the hardware. A 5400 RPM 160GB hard drive may cost more if it is a more reliable drive. I would like to think that Apple charges a bit more so as to give the consumer a better quality product rather than a spec'ed speed demon that has incompatible hardware which breaks down sooner.

Also, don't forget all the other software that comes with a Mac besides OS X.

s.