PDA

View Full Version : 5G iPod users...

dave1234
Jan 19, 2004, 10:56 PM
How many people still have their 5G iPod and it is still going strong, I still have mine andi purchased it the day it was made available.

candan9019
Jan 20, 2004, 12:16 AM
I still have mine. I bought it a few months after it was released. Not a scratch on it too, but the battery is probably only 30% of what It was. I am going to have to replace it soon.

isus
Jan 20, 2004, 12:23 AM
i bought a 10gb when apple released them for apple... apple gave windows users ipods about 2 days before i would have just bought a mac version. so i figured it would be easier to just use windows. i was wrong with mmjb... i ended up formatting it as a mac ipod, and then somehow i was able to reformat to windows when itunes for windows came out.

5300cs
Jan 20, 2004, 07:38 AM
I bought mine a year ago and just sent it in to have the store look at it before the insurance ran out :D it's ready, I just need to go pick it up. I'm totally satisfied with 5 gigs

Blackstealth
Jan 20, 2004, 07:41 AM
Bought my 1st Gen 5Gb iPod about a week after they were announced. Pretty scratched up and well battle damaged but working fine and still giving in the region of 5hrs battery life.

G5orbust
Jan 20, 2004, 11:39 AM
My 1st gen 5GB is still going strong and is my main music player. It retains about 8-9 hours of battery because I dont charge it till it dies completely (no half charges to mess up the battery). Its scratched to hell, the faceplate has popped out of its chrome backing 3 times (all due to drops on the floor) and the scroll wheel is kind of screwy, but I cant complain since it still works. :cool:

gwuMACaddict
Jan 20, 2004, 12:10 PM
got mine before christmas right after it came out. had to have it... investment i made that year, seeing as the stock market tanked... hahaha :D

i love my trusty 5gig :D

iJon
Jan 20, 2004, 01:10 PM
I still have mine, I have since upgraded to a 15 though. But i gout it out now to long ago just to play with it. I put about 1000 songs on it and I keep it in my bathroom with my speakers so i can jam in the shower, so im glad it has good use now.

iJon

scem0
Jan 20, 2004, 04:55 PM
My sister still has hers, but she has had to send it in twice.

scem0

Ambrose Chapel
Jan 20, 2004, 05:47 PM
i got mine in May 02, still working fine and getting 10+ hours battery life (knock knock). that battery life increased 2 hours after one of the software updates.

pseudobrit
Jan 21, 2004, 01:27 AM
Mine still gets full battery life as long as it's not left in the cold at all. The cold (even an hour or two) kills it dead.

themadchemist
Jan 21, 2004, 01:28 PM
I got my 1st Genner Christmas of 2001. It was quite the surprise. I never thought it would be as amazing as it was or that I would enjoy it as much as I do.

Three cheers for the early adopters!

boskie
Jan 21, 2004, 01:54 PM
I got mine on Jan 2 just after they were released, I was in New Orleans at the time on Holiday with my family and jumped at the chance of the tax rebate for foreigners that you get to reclaim at the airport when leaving the state of Louisiana, that and they mass amount of CD/DVD i bought at the same time made the trip more than worth while even apart from the great night out on Bourbon Street!!

I love the beer, gumbo, the atmosphere and of course the chance to watch pissed randy women rip their bras off on the various bar's all night.

Ah, memories...:D

In fact same trip was the first time i watched a DVD on a TiBook - Momentous trip really!

themadchemist
Jan 22, 2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by boskie
I love the beer, gumbo, the atmosphere and of course the chance to watch pissed randy women rip their bras off on the various bar's all night.

Ah, memories...:D

You say this was a family trip?

pseudobrit
Jan 23, 2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by themadchemist
You say this was a family trip?

Sounds like the Vieux Carre on a Sunday to me.

NP3
Jan 27, 2004, 11:29 AM
I bought the original 5GB iPod about a week after it was introduced....its been running great all this time up until about a week ago...

I left it in my car overnight while i was at a friend's house. It was quite cold outside.

When i got in the car to go home, the case was cold and the battery was dead (lasted about 2 days).

Now since then, i've tried charging it 3 times this week, and each time its lasted for less than a day...with only about 30 minutes of usage each time.

Granted...i live in Southern California, so "cold" to me isn't that bad as for some of you :)

Any suggestions? Most problems i've seen people had is with their battery life slowly dropping off....this went from almost peak performance to nothing..

pseudobrit
Jan 27, 2004, 10:29 PM
Have you tried resetting it?

How about reinstalling the software?

If all else fails, drain it fully, open the case and disconnect the battery, then reinstall the software again while it's on FireWire power, then reconnect the battery and charge it up.

Cold kills iPods dead. It's amazing. I still get 10 hours inside, but in the car it lasts no more than two hours if it's cold enough in the vehicle (I have a VW TDI diesel so it takes 15 minutes to heat up).