PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever dropped your Computer?

dave1234
Jan 19, 2004, 10:58 PM
Today I suffered my first (and hopefully only) drop of my Powerbook. It was closed and shut down. The outside case sustained noo damage, and it runs fine. How many people have dropped their computer?

MoparShaha
Jan 19, 2004, 11:05 PM
I've never dropped my PowerBook (thankfully!). A few years back, I was carrying my CRT iMac down some stairs, and it slipped from my hands. It slid down several stairs and rubbed up against the wall. I was able to slow it with my foot. All in all, only cosmetic damage. It has some white paint scratches which I can't get rid of.

blvdeast
Jan 19, 2004, 11:16 PM
There is a reason why I keep my HP tower under by desk by my feet, for every illegal operation, or BSD, it gets one kick. Hopefully I get my iBook tomorrow and I won't have to kick it anymore. The plastic case is chipped, and thats about it, hurts my foot more then the computer.

Powerbook G5
Jan 19, 2004, 11:41 PM
I've never dropped either of my PowerBooks and I probably would suffer from a mild heart attack if I did.

SiliconAddict
Jan 19, 2004, 11:45 PM
I dropped an IBM thinkpad down a flight of metal stairs about....er...4 years ago I think. It was one of their older boxy models. The desecration didn't phase it a bit. IBM makes some dang rugged hardware. I swear you could run their laptops over with a tank and you'd be more likely to blow a tread then damage the notebook....OK that might be a bit of an exaggeration ;)

Oh and I've dropped my Jornada Pocket PC several times fortunately it has a flip cover so its survived both tumbles.

SiliconAddict
Jan 19, 2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by blvdeast
There is a reason why I keep my HP tower under by desk by my feet, for every illegal operation, or BSD, it gets one kick. Hopefully I get my iBook tomorrow and I won't have to kick it anymore. The plastic case is chipped, and thats about it, hurts my foot more then the computer.

Heh. You aren't as bad as one of my users that I support. They got royally pissed at Office 97 or Office 97: Crash Edition (we aren't allowed to upgrade them to 2000 even though we have the licenses. :rolleyes:
Anyways he got pissed that he lost several hours worth of work when Word 97 crashed. Shoved the desktop off his desk which additionally dragged the monitor down with it monitor hit corner of desktop and bang. I've never seen the inside of a CRT before and stayed rather far away since I was pretty sure the crap in there is toxic. Anyways the guy ended up paying for the desktop and monitor and got a sever reprimand from my boss, local IT manager, and his boss, office manager. The kicker? I enable auto save on Word so it auto saves every 10 minutes in the temp directory. A pity his hard drive crashed from that fall else I could have recovered it.
Moral of the story: Don't get mad get IT.

Counterfit
Jan 20, 2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
The kicker? I enable auto save on Word so it auto saves every 10 minutes in the temp directory. A pity his hard drive crashed from that fall else I could have recovered it.
Moral of the story: Don't get mad get IT. Oh man, I hope you told him that :D

yamabushi
Jan 20, 2004, 12:10 AM
I bumped into someone while walking down some stairs and dropped my Powerbook 145B. After tumbling down a full flight of stairs it booted up with no problems and didn't even have a scratch on the case.

My sister tripped over the power cord for her iBook which promptly fell off her desk onto a hard floor. It still worked but had a thin line across the screen thereafter.

isus
Jan 20, 2004, 12:18 AM
i remember a macaddict review, i think it was just after the 12" 867mhz g4 pbook came out. they dropped it while it was on. it was fine.

i've never dropped my ibook, but it's not mine, so if it broke, i'd be in deep shiat.

i dropped my ipod once though. a few cosmetic scratches, but it kept playing the song and was fine.

LethalWolfe
Jan 20, 2004, 12:37 AM
We got some new G5's at work and we set it on the ground while we moved the G4 tower off the desk so we could put the G5 up there. One of my co-workers swiveled around in his chair to get up and knocked the G5 over. I didn't see it 'cause my back was turned but I heard this loud "thunk" and went :eek: . Not damage at all thankfully. We were worried there for a few days 'cause the G5 kept actin' funny but it turned out to be bad RAM.

Lethal

G5orbust
Jan 20, 2004, 12:44 AM
my laptop has fallen from:

* the trunk of a car (inside of its carry bag)- height of a little over 3 feet: No damage

* my desk chair- height of approx. 2.5 feet: no damage

Rugged little powerbook.

jefhatfield
Jan 20, 2004, 02:23 AM
i hope your computer didn't sustain long term damage

i have had a lot of machines, and i have repaired and maintained many many machines and so far, knock on wood, i have not dropped any computers

i did once drop a used monitor when i was swapping out a whole slew of old machines to be retired and that monitor was not be used again, but i still felt really bad about dropping it since it did not work well when i attached it to a computer

5300cs
Jan 20, 2004, 07:27 AM
I dropped my 500 Mhz iBook twice, and stepped on it once- no damage.

Dropped my 12" 800 Mhz iBook in the train- no damage.

Dropped my TiBook TWICE in 10 MINUTES. Case dented, but no other damage.

Dropped my camera 3 weeks ago and scratched the case :(

Dropped my Tungsten C in the train- no damage.

I'm a real klutz sometimes.

Also dropped my VAIO, which is now warped and won't sit flat on a table anymore. The fall broke both clips holding the battery in :rolleyes: real high quality

mj_1903
Jan 20, 2004, 07:28 AM
I walked by my PowerBook 12" and accidently caught its power cable dragging it from the table and onto my foot.

Needless to say, my foot was sore for a few days and the PowerBook was fine.

edesignuk
Jan 20, 2004, 07:28 AM
Never have dropped a computer, don't plan on staring ;)

virividox
Jan 20, 2004, 07:42 AM
i have never dropped my computer thankfully

caveman_uk
Jan 20, 2004, 07:44 AM
I haven't dropped a computer but I've dropped my ipod twice in the month I've had it. Once onto my foot from 3.5 feet and the other time it bounced off a couch cushion on to the floor. It still works fine...

G4scott
Jan 20, 2004, 07:59 AM
I've dropped my 12" PowerBook from about 2 feet onto tile floor... Ouch...

I have a small dent on the top left of the screen casing, and when I close the screen, it doesn't exactly fit flush with the rest of the computer... It's about 1mm off...

Either way, the damage was only cosmetic, and the computer still works fine.

neut
Jan 20, 2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Never have dropped a computer, don't plan on staring ;)

ok... i won't stare. :D

seriously though, i've dropped my TiPB 15" way too many times. Once from 2' onto a hard wood floor; right on the corner (small dent and a bruised ego). On time it slipped out of my hands and I went to grab it... but instead, I ended up pushing it up and away from me so it flew right up in the air and flipped three or four times then crashed onto my carpeted floor (from about 5'/6' in the air!). Both times it was fine. I've had a bunch of other close calls and minor scratches, but it works just fine. A dent and a hairline fracture isn't enough to kiil this PB. ;)

peace.

eyelikeart
Jan 20, 2004, 10:33 AM
Remind me NEVER to buy a computer off of u guys if I'm ever in the market for a used portable. ;)

I haven't dropped anything. I'm super freaky careful about my stuff, and would put myself in the way before my beloved equipment.

Point in case, last year during Mardi Gras, I was riding on a float on Mardi Gras day. I had my camera with me, and was taking shots off the side of the float. I made the decision from the begining, that if something were to happen & my camera were to fall off the float, I was going with it. ;)

question fear
Jan 20, 2004, 11:50 AM
I dropped my ibook after a terrifying chain reaction involving my palm, its cradle, my phone and its charger, and my ibook charger cord all getting twisted and tied aorund my foot...something i didnt see until i got up.
my ibook would have been fine except the cdrom drive was open because i was getting up after realizing i didnt have ablank handy...so i have a toasted cd drive but otherwise it survived...i was wicked wicked lucky.
if anyone knows of some good dvdrom-cdrw external drives, let me know.
-carly

Mblazened
Jan 20, 2004, 01:45 PM
I dropped a MDD g4 that was in for repairs. I tripped over its box and we both went flying! The g4 bounced off the floor and hit me in the head as i fell on top of it. No damage, save a bump on the noggin. I guest the plastic handles double as shock absorbers.

niter
Jan 20, 2004, 02:19 PM
I have not dropped any computer of mine yet, but a long time ago in highschool, I tripped down a friend's basement stairs. Me and my father's work's ThinkPad tumbled down the stairs to be stopped (and yes, the ThinkPad made first contact) by a cement wall.

I was fine, the computer was fine....but I still fear doing that again.

This did nothing to help the slight fear I have of falling down stairs.

Powerbook G5
Jan 20, 2004, 02:20 PM
ThinkPads are wonderful shock absorbers. :D

wdlove
Jan 20, 2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I haven't dropped anything. I'm super freaky careful about my stuff, and would put myself in the way before my beloved equipment.

Point in case, last year during Mardi Gras, I was riding on a float on Mardi Gras day. I had my camera with me, and was taking shots off the side of the float. I made the decision from the begining, that if something were to happen & my camera were to fall off the float, I was going with it. ;)

I am with you eyelikeart, also very careful with my computer.

Glad that you didn't drop your camera, for your sake and the sake of MacRumors.

neut
Jan 20, 2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I am with you eyelikeart, also very careful with my computer.

Glad that you didn't drop your camera, for your sake and the sake of MacRumors.

hey, im careful with my macs too :)... it's just that im also a klutz :(.

in the two years that I toted my graphite G4 and graphite CRT I never dropped it once; spilled beer on it a few times, but never dropped it! :D

peace.

SiliconAddict
Jan 20, 2004, 04:48 PM
Ya know the more I think about it the more I'm certain I'm going to carry a Japanese kamikaze dirk with my to commit harakiri if I ever drop my future G5 PowerBook. Maybe Apple can accommodate us and build one into the 17" I mean you drop it you can whip out the knife right there and do the right thing. ;)

parrothead
Jan 20, 2004, 05:15 PM
Yeah I have dropped my computer a few times.

The first time it wasnt really me but it still counts. I was letting my roommate borrow my 1 month old 233 G3 powerbook while I was at work and one day when I came back I found that she had let the battery go all the way down. I got mad cause I had to use it away from a power source. She then got mad at me for getting mad and she grabbed the case to hand it to me while yelling. Well, she was so mad that she forgot to zip the case up and the poor powerbook literally flew across the room and smacked onto the hardwood floor. More yelling followed but that is another story. Anyway, the hard disk made a horrible ticking sound every time it spun up, but it lasted another 3 years!

Another painful moment was when I dropped my Tibook in its case while checking in at the airport. When I got home I realized that the little hook that holds the lid shut broke off.

I have had other times where my computers come close to flying off the desk when someone trips on a wire. I guess those are the risks you take when you buy a laptop. Sniff.

bannedagain
Jan 20, 2004, 05:47 PM
Never dropped a computer, However my screen gets the frequent Hit, and the tower the odd kick just for good measure.

Powerbook G5
Jan 20, 2004, 06:03 PM
I dropped my Kodak DC280 Zoom digital camera down the side of a large mountainous hill (I'm from Florida so I call hills mountains but to others it may have been a really steep rocky hill) in southern France and it tumbled a good 800 feet probably, but besides the batteries popping out, it was in good condition. There were a few slight scrapes, but it has been working perfectly for the past few years.

5300cs
Jan 21, 2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
Remind me NEVER to buy a computer off of u guys if I'm ever in the market for a used portable. ;)

Wanna buy a slightly used iBook? :)

Counterfit
Jan 21, 2004, 07:50 AM
I've dropped my T68i a couple times. And just my luck that every single time it landed on cement :rolleyes:

hvfsl
Jan 21, 2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by bannedagain
Never dropped a computer, However my screen gets the frequent Hit, and the tower the odd kick just for good measure.

I kick my PC too much at the moment, I think the Hard Disk is starting to go because of it. I should probably stop but those blue screens just get me really mad. Especially if I have spent the last 2 hours editing a movie and not saved it yet. :mad:

The only computer I dropped was my Apple Newton 120. I dropped it down the stairs, but it stilled worked.

johnnyjibbs
Jan 21, 2004, 09:14 AM
Am paranoid about dropping my PowerBook! I need this baby to last me 4 or 5 years! Good to see the PowerBooks appear to be tough though!

Foxer
Jan 21, 2004, 09:21 AM
When I was in law school back in the late 90's I had a Dell laptop (don't flame me. I veered from the true path for a couple years.) which I lugged around in a backpack. I guess I didn't properly zip the bag once, because the thing fell out while I was walking the halls and it fell on the hard linoleum (sp?) floor. No damage at all. Same machine that had a can of diet coke spilt on it with no (long term) problems.

johnnyjibbs
Jan 21, 2004, 09:24 AM
One of my friends managed to pour a kettle load of hot water over her 1 year old Advent PC laptop. No damage.

I guess you've got to be unlucky if yours buggers due to accidents. There appear to be some incredible survival stories.

whocares
Jan 21, 2004, 09:50 AM
Well never drop any of *my* computer equipment, but:

*'dropped' a real expensive HP network laser printer. I just sat on the table holding it, the table wasn't very stable and the printer just rolled off onto the floor. No longer works. Kinda cool breaking $$$$ worth of stuff when it's not yours...

*Dropped a friends Coolscan III from the trunk of a car. Still works, but still not cool dropping you friend's stuff.

Only damage I've ever done to my own stuff is spilling beer on the keyboard of my iBook. No damage sustained.

jefhatfield
Jan 21, 2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Am paranoid about dropping my PowerBook! I need this baby to last me 4 or 5 years! Good to see the PowerBooks appear to be tough though!

i think apple makes gear that can last four or five years

the only problem is that my four year old+ ibook from 1999 is super obsolete with no ability to run os x up to par and no firewire or cdrw optical drives

my friend has a five year old+ powerbook and he is similarily limited and even more so since he has a 33k modem, no usb, and 2 gb hard drive

if you take care of your machine, it will last a full 60 months but by then there will be a new standard like usb 3 or 4, a firewire a hundred times faster than what exists, RAM up to 32 GB, and 8 to10 ghz or so in processor speed...and all in a laptop if current trends continue...i have a feeling you may feel absolutely compelled to buy a new mac before then:p

johnnyjibbs
Jan 21, 2004, 10:08 AM
You bet I'll have found a way to get a G5 by then. But I was still using Windows 98 on a 500MHz P3 before October!

My PB will still be able to run my version of office however old it is and hopefully my dad will have given me his video camcorder by then ;), so it won't matter what protocol they use by then!

Pseudonym
Jan 21, 2004, 10:19 AM
I dropped a Dell laptop onto a road a few years back. Not even a scratch.

I've had my son chew on a T68i which suffered horribly from slobber damage (which isn't covered by the warranty;))

Oh and I've dropped a couple of monitors.

Not too bad after 24 years of owning computers!

Powerbook G5
Jan 21, 2004, 12:10 PM
That's the problem I had with my PowerBook G3 from 1999, my dad said he'd help me buy a new PowerBook whenever it dies on me, and as the years passed by and CD-R, DVD-R, Firewire, Airport, Firewire 800, Airport Extreme, G4, massive HDs, etc all came out, I was still using my PowerBook G3. The dang thing refused to die. It went through three major hurricanes, one of which took the roof right off our house and got hit by rain, flood, and wind. It survived moving twice, it survived a couple of years of college, and it is still working perfectly. I had to just give up and tell my dad I needed a more modern computer for my current classes and we worked out a deal so I could get a new PowerBook. But as I speak, my G3 is still working and on my desk now. I use it to do Seti and random programs that won't work under Classic mode on my new PowerBook, but most likely, it will become my dad's office computer once I save up some money and add some more RAM and a new battery to it.

markeleven
Jan 21, 2004, 03:13 PM
dropped my tangerine i book from 4 feet up, it fell flat on a concrete floor while running. Popped the cover off the cd drive , which immediately snapped back into place. That was 3 years ago and I am still using the thing no trouble what so ever.

jefhatfield
Jan 21, 2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
That's the problem I had with my PowerBook G3 from 1999, my dad said he'd help me buy a new PowerBook whenever it dies on me, and as the years passed by and CD-R, DVD-R, Firewire, Airport, Firewire 800, Airport Extreme, G4, massive HDs, etc all came out, I was still using my PowerBook G3. The dang thing refused to die. It went through three major hurricanes, one of which took the roof right off our house and got hit by rain, flood, and wind. It survived moving twice, it survived a couple of years of college, and it is still working perfectly. I had to just give up and tell my dad I needed a more modern computer for my current classes and we worked out a deal so I could get a new PowerBook. But as I speak, my G3 is still working and on my desk now. I use it to do Seti and random programs that won't work under Classic mode on my new PowerBook, but most likely, it will become my dad's office computer once I save up some money and add some more RAM and a new battery to it.

darn apple, how dare they!?

they want to keep us behind the technology curve by giving us such durable reliable machines that we are forced to keep them for three or four years and thus fall WAY BEHIND:mad:

denjeff
Jan 21, 2004, 04:35 PM
a friend of mine just spilled a big glass of coke into his ibook... actually it was his girlfriend :) and they didn t separate... where is this world going to?!? :D

Mesa248
Jan 21, 2004, 04:45 PM
I repeatedly kick my G4 SP1.25 and I live in fear of punching my fist through the monitor (management would agree with this)... all components are working great though, unlike the keylime iBook that my sister threw into a swimming pool (not a fan of technology)

I have also drop kicked my 10Gb iPod several times on the way to university and used it to break my fall while mountain biking, saving my hide, literally :rolleyes:
the problem is that the last fall seems to have altered its maximum volume so that the iPod is now louder than any other iPod I have heard- bonus feature! I got a new 15Gb but I still use he 10Gb for riding because of it's volume and tested ruggedness... its only a year old now
:D

5300cs
Jan 21, 2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Mesa248
... all components are working great though, unlike the keylime iBook that my sister threw into a swimming pool (not a fan of technology)...

That should be illegal :mad: she should pound on a Dell or something, not a work of art (although it did look like a toilet seat.)

Counterfit
Jan 21, 2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Mesa248
used it to break my fall while mountain biking, saving my hide, literally How so?

Mesa248
Jan 21, 2004, 11:53 PM
iPod Armour;
place iPod in pocket, proceed to tumble a bike off a 5ft dropoff- arrive at bottom of the hill with two broken ribs, a smashed helmet and a fractured wrist- but my left leg was saved from gravel rash when the iPod acted as a form of pocket 'body armour' :) not so the right side.

one notable feature is that the iPod does have a tiny LCD crack and has a lot of physical scarring in scratches and dents but is otherwise perfect- don't be afraid about dropping them because mine (2nd gen) seems bombproof. the extra boost in audio is odd but I am not unhappy with that result... I am trying to refrain from crashing or dropping it in any case :rolleyes:

Sabenth
Jan 22, 2004, 05:30 AM
I havent droped my Mac yet but ive done the following to the odd pc.

Kicked them
Hit them
chucked a brick on one or two of them
Smacked the odd one with a metal pole
Chucked one down 2 flights of stairs

And i droped my 15inch crt monitor down a flgight of stairs by accident in which case it proceded to tuble to the bottom braking the stand easily fixed .

My violent actions against PCS have all stoped since i got a Mac :D

My name is : Dusty bin and i hate PC's :D

whocares
Jan 22, 2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Sabenth
Kicked them
Hit them
chucked a brick on one or two of them
Smacked the odd one with a metal pole
Chucked one down 2 flights of stairs

My name is : Dusty bin and i hate PC's :D

And as someone on these forums says/said (pls come forward, I've forgotten who you are):

"The best way to accelerate a PC is at 9.81 meters per second squarred". - 'Nuff said!

Isn't the OS's name a subconscious incitation to throw any PC out the window? Best results from the Empire State Building.

I sincerely appolagize for this totally OT post.