Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I have a Macbook Pro and my parents own a Dell Desktop and the router is connected to the desktop. I was wondering if I could attach my Western Digital 120GB harddrive to the router(some how, any cables I could buy?) to be shared over a network, and it needs to work with Time Machine on my Macbook Pro. I was originally going to get a Time Capsule but it cost to much money.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You would require a NAS, something that the AirPort Extreme (n) and Time Capsule does, otherwise you will need another converter.

TEG

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
If you're going to use it as a time machine hdd anyway, you might try partitioning it and using one partition as a time machine disk and then share out the other one via samba and afp.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was wondering if I could attach my Western Digital 120GB harddrive to the router

That would only work if the router had that feature already built-in. Most routers don't.

What you are asking is "Here is a possible solution. Will it work?" It would be better to ask "I have this problem how best to solve it". Why not describe the problem and give us a budget to work with?

I assume what you want a Time Machine disk. Does it really need to be wireless? Why not plug it into the notebook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.