Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
So I just updated my Macbook software, this is my first macbook and first time i updated it

and now im stuck on this screen

CIMG1230.jpg

it seems as if its loading, i am able to move the mouse around and the blue loading bar is flickering, but for the past hour, the blue bar hasnt gone any further

is this normal? if not what should i do

msft138

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I tried updating earlier yesterday and my macbook wouldn't restart after installing. So I held down the power button to turn off and then did the software update again and everything went fine. Kinda weird, had me worried for a second.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Yep just hold the power button down until it shuts off. turn it back on and try again

Pau!

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
this happened to me several times trying to update. After you get it to shut down and restart, download the update from apple.com. its under downloads or something. i guess the file is more stable or something. this worked for me.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
My daughter pressed and held down the power button when trying to update and now it would appear that her macbook is broke!?

When it tries to boot now, I get the grey screen with black Apple logo and the spinning circular bars, the screen then flashes blue once and the spinning bars stop, thats it. I also get a static mouse image in the top left of the screen although I can still move the mouse around.

I tried putting in the Leopard disk again but I get a message that MacOSX cannot be installed on this computer (this may be as I am using the family leopard install disk so will try the original disk I got with the Mac, I didnt think her macbook came with Leopard thats why I put in the family Leopard disk).

Any suggestions? :(

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
If the "family leopard install disk" is an off-the-shelf, retail copy of Leopard, then you shouldn't have any issues installing it on any Macbook.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
Thanks for the reply Imav, it is but I read somewhere that if you bought the macbook after you bought the Leopard family disk then you could only use the restore disks that came with the macbook which kind of makes sense.

I have got a step further with the Leopard disk for the macbook, and can now select an "archive and install" but I really didnt want to go through all that if I didnt need to?
She has quite a bit of software installed and also uses vmware with xp (although it is a virtual partition).
I was hoping for a quicker fix?
I did try repairing disk and permissions from the leopard boot disk and it is still the same

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.