PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... should I buy a used ibook?

nerd0795
Sep 15, 2008, 10:20 PM
Recently I found out (after being alive for 14 almost 15 years), I suck at writing both in printing and cursive (trying to read my notes almost impossible). So I am thinking about getting a cheap notebook for taking notes (I type extremely fast) I was thinking of a Asus EEE pc or a dell inspiron mini. The fact that I don't get an optical drive with it also it's a bit too expensive for a computer just for taking notes and browsing the web (for research and maybe youtube). So I looked on ebay canada and I find very cheap used ibooks ($50-$200). I'm just going to be taking notes and browsing the internet a bit. Would this be suffice? This would be my first macintosh computer lolz. I do know how to use a mac and everything. I was recently considering switching to mac. Would this be a good investment? I won't be using this as my main computer. I would still use my Windows Vista :/ for everyday computing. I'm actually thinking of an ibook G3 (because I rather not run OS 9 or Mac os X 10.0) I rather run Mac os X 10.3 panther or 10.4 tiger. Again would this be a good investment for just taking notes, and browsing the web?

zap2
Sep 15, 2008, 10:26 PM
It would surfice, but it would be a subpar into to Mac OS X. It might still be nice, but even the most recent iBook(which I still use with 10.5, most recent OS(or close to it, I'm on either 10.5.3 or 10.5.3, but those are small updates) but the picture of OS X it gives isn't the full picture.

Not saying its not worth it, just to keep it in mind.

And the Mini 9 or EEE PC might good for it too.

nerd0795
Sep 15, 2008, 10:29 PM
Ok, I didn't get what you meaned by the whole Mac OS X being subpar. But I won't expect much because it's obsolete hardware. But I am really anxious to own an Apple Computer. I wouldn't really want a netbook since, it doesn't have an optical drive making backing up my notes harder.

RQPS
Sep 15, 2008, 10:43 PM
I still use my ibook G4, it's over 3 years old and it still runs perfect. I am running 10.5.4. So I say if you can really get a used ibook in good condition for 50-200 do it!

tssfulk
Sep 15, 2008, 11:14 PM
The only computer I have is a 7-year-old iBook G3 700mHz. The only thing you need to do is max out the RAM and it will run Tiger fine. Use the built-in Textedit or download Bean to take your notes. It may not be Leopard, but Tiger is a great OS.

I write (professionally) on my iBook all the time, surf the web, read e-mail, listen to music (slow starting up iTunes, but fine once loaded), watch "normal" encoded TV shows and movies (must use VLC--QuickTime is too bloated for old iBooks).

Another plus is the larger keyboard and screen compared to the Asus netbook.