Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcjose20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
so basically what happen was that I called the apple store and asked if they had the 8GB 2G ipod touch and they said that they had 1 left so i put it on hold and drove down there as fast as i could since the store was gonna close in 40 mins. I get there and tell them my name and that I had called 20 mins ago. Long story short I am told that they did put it on hold but that someone else had gone right ahead and so it. I was furious. Then the salesperson tells me that all they have left in stock is one 16GB 2G. So i had the guy go and ask the manager for a discount. I was able to get 10% off which isnt alot but its something i guess. So i ended up getting it for $289 which i think is good cause i was gonna get the 8GB one originally which would have come out somewhere around 245 with taxes.

Schicksal

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
That's about how my corporate discount works... 10% off, but sales tax is 8.25%. At least the discount is applied before sales tax.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
That's about how my corporate discount works... 10% off, but sales tax is 8.25%. At least the discount is applied before sales tax.

It doesn't matter if the discount is taken before or after tax... it ends up being the same...

Example:
You are buying a $150 item, you have a 10% discount, tax is 8%.

Before Tax Discount:
150 * .9 = 135 * 1.08 = 145.80

After Tax Discount:
150 * 1.08 = 162 * .9 = 145.80

The only difference is on the retailers side. With a before tax discount, less goes to taxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.