Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
I have Windows xp installed on a boot camp partition. I tried a trial version of vmware fusion, then uninstalled it. I also deleted my virtual machine. The problem is that I cannot uninstall vmware tools when running Windows xp. And I cannot delete the hgfs file under User/Local Settings/Application Data/vmware (I don't have the necessary permissions). Can someone help me get my computer back to where it was before I installed vmware?

Thanks

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Did you try in add/remove programs? You might actually need to do it from within vm itself, in which case you need to install fusion, launch VM, go into control panel and remove it from there. after that shut it down, delete fusion and boot into bootcamp.

Are you getting problems in bootcamp? Usually vmware drivers are disabled during bootcamp so they should not interfere

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
Yes, I tried in add/remove programs, and got a dialog saying that it could not locate the virtual machine in question and couldn't go any further. I don't really feel like reinstalling vmware. The reason I uninstalled it in the first place was that, when I ran it the first time, I was told that my hardware configuration had been modified and that I had to reactivate Windows. When I tried to do that, it failed, saying I had installed Windows too many times already, and so I was afraid it would mess up my boot camp as well. Indeed, when I uninstalled and rebooted into Boot Camp, I had to reactivate Windows (but at least that worked).

All I apparently have left of vmware in Windows is that hgfs.dat file I can't manage to delete in local settings/application data/vmware, and vmware fusion in the list of add/remove programs. I suppose it's no problem leaving them there; it's just a little annoying.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.