Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
i love my air - love the size, the design, the screen, that it lacks a useless optical drive. yeah the battery is weak. and yeah, the HD is limited. but i feel like the poor performance -- way below what was advertised -- may be my pushing point.

just curious if anyone else is getting really curious about switching to one of these new macbooks. people keep on throwing around the words "aluminum case" and "really thin." i'd be willing to lose a couple of hundred of bucks when ebaying my air to trade down if they get the macbook to the low 4 lb / high 3 lb range.

gooddeal

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
PA
If the rumor is true thinner aluminum case with 4lbs, faster CPU, backlit screen, illuminate keyboard and for $1000?, I will get that instead the Air in the future.

However, if Apple really offers all of those in a $1000 macbook, they have to lower the price of the Air and Pro by at least $500 or most people wouldn't buy the Air or the Pro.

KamiNoYadoru

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006
Apple's MO is usually not about massive price cuts, but about added value, so I'd more expect to see enhancements to the Air to continue to justify a price in the general range. However, they do charge $200 for a black finish so who knows.

Rondue

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
PA
If the rumor is true thinner aluminum case with 4lbs, faster CPU, backlit screen, illuminate keyboard and for $1000?, I will get that instead the Air in the future.

However, if Apple really offers all of those in a $1000 macbook, they have to lower the price of the Air and Pro by at least $500 or most people wouldn't buy the Air or the Pro.

I donno man, lots of people are saying these crazy low prices.. 1. I dont see why apple has to drop prices and 2. i dont think they screw the prices of their higher end brand products.. Macbook Pro and Air

Im in the midst of selling my 2.4GHz macbook and Ill prob ride out the storm with my AIR and sell it for whatever loss it takes.

ercanbas

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
in the same boat as you. love my air but i feel like i could have gotten more from a macbook. im going to wait til oct 15 to see what the deal is. im having my logic board replaced but it is taking longer because of Ike smacking Texas around like Tina Turner.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
They'll have the LED lit LCD screens, and maybe slightly faster processors (although there's nothing available right now that's a lot faster than what they're offering), but they're not going to start including things like the backlit keyboard, or a weight of <4 lbs. It'll likely be a 1" thick aluminium MacBook with similar hardware to today, except with an LED backlight. It'll be a bit lighter because of the aluminium, but don't expect any miracles here. There won't be massive SSD drives in there or something to reduce weight, nor are they going to start using the 1.8" harddisks to achieve this weight reduction either.

illian

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Porsche-City, Germany
I'm thinking about the same...but i think it's better to sell it before the oct 14. if apple updates the air too, you'll lose a lot more money.

1000-1200€ should be fine..just to get a new macbook ;)

gooddeal

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
PA
Apple's MO is usually not about massive price cuts, but about added value, so I'd more expect to see enhancements to the Air to continue to justify a price in the general range. However, they do charge $200 for a black finish so who knows.

Yeah, I saw that in the past also but if Apple adds all the nice features backlit screen, aluminum case, thinner and almost weight the same as the Air, they cannot sell the Air $700 (the Pro for 1K) more than MB. Technically, they can but I think more people will switch to a regular MB.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Half of this $200 is for the 250GB HDD.

I can't see Apple making MB lighter, or at least significantly lighter, and certainly not as light as Air. I think pretty much everyone who's interested in getting an Air now would get MB if it was as light and cheaper, not to mention better performance.

Rondue

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
PA
Half of this $200 is for the 250GB HDD.

I can't see Apple making MB lighter, or at least significantly lighter, and certainly not as light as Air. I think pretty much everyone who's interested in getting an Air now would get MB if it was as light and cheaper, not to mention better performance.

I don't care who the source is i dont think apple will take away from their more expensive laptops with a feature packed cheapie. They wont shoot themselves in the foot.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I don't care who the source is i dont think apple will take away from their more expensive laptops with a feature packed cheapie. They wont shoot themselves in the foot.

They won't. Every year people put up their dream list only to be disappointed again and again. They won't ever learn. There will be a clear distinction between the 3 laptops. Let the dreamers, dream. I love it when they realize it was a dream and they feel stupid.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
They won't. Every year people put up their dream lists only to be disappointed again and again. They won't ever learn. There will be a clear distinction between the 3 laptops. Let the dreamers, dream. I love it when they realize it was a dream and they feel stupid.
Totally totally agreed.

Given the rumors, I can see the new MacBooks having:
  • 13.3" display or 14" if they go 16:9
  • .9" or so thickness
  • Optical drive
  • 4.5 lbs. or so, a bit more if they go 14"
So I can't see the MacBook cannibalizing the MacBook Air. And an aluminum case won't make the MacBook cannibalize the MacBook Pro.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
I didn't say they will...

They won't. Every year people put up their dream list only to be disappointed again and again. They won't ever learn. There will be a clear distinction between the 3 laptops. Let the dreamers, dream. I love it when they realize it was a dream and they feel stupid.
It certainly sounds as if "I want a perfect laptop that I can afford" became a self-delusion in some cases.

Or, in the future, there might not be 3 notebooks. If light (as in 3lbs or less) becomes a standard in a few years, MB and MBA might be replaced by one laptop... unless it'll be possible to make MBA even lighter by then.

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
I was thinking of the same thing too. Though I wasn't really planning on selling my MBA. I really like my MBA since I value portability and the specs of the MBA is enough for me. Although I thought that if apple is going to introduce an aluminum macbook with higher specs and thinner and lighter than the old version, then wouldn't this just kill the MBA sales totally?

Apple will be nuts if they do this so I think that they will introduce a new MBA that will have better specs and all (I think)

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I do not think the macbook would be modified to eat sales away from the other two.

I do not think little things like the backlit keyboard I will show up in the MacBook. It might be switched aluminum and maybe tapered a bit, but I doubt it will significantly thinner/lighter. I think of the Macbook, Mini, and Imac to be gateway drugs. There are things that are intentionally left off of all three that make you desire the Pro counterparts.

I think the Air may eventually get knocked down to 12" to differentiate it.

I just bought an air at a price that makes me think the macbook fear is priced in the market, but I assume the worries will be unfounded.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I don't think the MacBook will get too much into MBA territory because everyone would end up getting the MB!

I agree. I seriously contemplated getting the Air (I had to do a few things that the Air couldn't do--so I needed to buy the Macbook which is perfect for me) and I love the concept. It will only get better. I will get one one day. Probably soon if they make a few changes. It is too appealing to me.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I don't think we'll see a revised Air until MW 09'. One year anniversary of Air.

I say keep your Air for road use, unless you really hate it and get a second MacBook/MBP. Why take a lost.

mattniles007

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Michigan

I agree with you here. I cannot see them making a super Macbook that directly undercuts their MBA and MBP.

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
I'm waiting/wishing too

I'm definitely getting rid of this MBA as soon as something comes out. (I've already got a buyer lined up.) I'm just tired of the poor performance. But, that's what I get for being an early adopter. Anyway, I'm hoping new Macbooks or even MB Pros come out soon so I can switch. Let's hope it's something good.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
before you guys ebay anything just wait til the actual macbooks come around, be it in a month or more. remember we're all just speculating right now...

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
With ultralights every lbs matters.

If the new Macbook is 4 lbs , the extra pound will matter to those who want the lightest.

Also, At 3 lbs, the Air can be easily grabbed with one hand from just about any position by just about any adult which makes it unique for Macs just for that.

I like the way the Air can be stashed virtually anywhere as it's so thin. I slide mine under sofas and lay it up against walls all the time.

Love the little guy.

ishopukisfake

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
I am considering a MBA, but wondering to hold off until october. When some have mentioned "poor performance" what exactly do you mean? Is there lag in program use or are you referring to the limited specs?

I can foresee an upgrade HD next month to the 120 GB's in the new ipods, and probably a speed bump up to 2.0 GHz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.