PDA

View Full Version : Coke europe music store falls over on launch day!!!!!!

MacBytes
Jan 20, 2004, 09:06 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Coke europe music store falls over on launch day!!!!!! (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040120100615)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

machinehien
Jan 20, 2004, 09:16 AM
You'd think you would have plenty of people on the clock for a rollout like this.

danbalsh
Jan 20, 2004, 09:18 AM
You see this is what happens when you rush things :p

I've not seen one damm advert for this CokeStore in the UK, and most consumers I've talked to know more about iTunes (which is still only in the US) than they do about any other music store! I can only imagine the hype when iTunes hits the UK/Europe. :cool:

nagromme
Jan 20, 2004, 10:39 AM
I bet they are wishing they could have waited and partnered with Apple in Europe :)

Qunchuy
Jan 20, 2004, 10:56 AM
Speaking about the problems, a Coca-Cola spokesman said: "As you can appreciate, being the first to do this and working with new technology there are often teething problems..."

First to do this?!

At least the writer mentioned "Apple's preferred AAC format", which isn't technically wrong. But I'd love it if the term "proprietary" accompanied every occurrence of "WMA" in such articles, as well as "industry-standard AAC".

Photorun
Jan 20, 2004, 11:18 AM
[Doing his best Nelson imitation, points]: Haa Haa!

What bums me out is Peter Gabriel was very Maccentric for much of the 90s, what happened?

SilvorX
Jan 20, 2004, 12:39 PM
most mac fans of the 90s switched over to pc after amelio *edited* up apple booo urns

iTMS=king cuz of aac
everything else=lame since it uses WMA or its just lame

<mod edit> - attempting to work around the profanity filter will get you banned. </edit>

aftk2
Jan 20, 2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Photorun
What bums me out is Peter Gabriel was very Maccentric for much of the 90s, what happened?

I agree. That was the first thing I thought of when I read the story. It's all the stranger when you consider that everything on his personal website is in quicktime. There's a continuous quicktime radio stream. I mean, his online trailers and video clips even use custom quicktime player skins!

So don't attribute this decision to use WMA to anything more than just plain old corporate short-sightedness. It's like when people think that Steve Jobs will dump Pixar's render farm from Linux to G5s. Pixar may switch (actually, didn't they already do that?) but don't think it's because of Jobs's role as Apple's CEO. Company's exist to make money, and they'll typically do what they can to further that goal. It's just, in this case of Gabriel's, it chose incorrectly.

On a completely different note, Peter Gabriel's new DVD, "Growing Up Live", is probably the best concert DVD I've ever seen.

winmacguy
Jan 20, 2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Qunchuy
First to do this?!

At least the writer mentioned "Apple's preferred AAC format", which isn't technically wrong. But I'd love it if the term "proprietary" accompanied every occurrence of "WMA" in such articles, as well as "industry-standard AAC".

They are not the only ones having trouble with online music...
I loved this article! I have grabbed a few good bits from it...

Battle brews over net music
Kate Mackenzie
JANUARY 20, 2004

AUSTRALIAN companies are flocking to become part of the music download revolution, but no-one is quite sure what shape the brave new world of sound will take.

While they are loath to admit it, each is almost certainly awaiting the local launch of Apple's iTunes, which has proved a huge success in the US.

The most popular song on Apple's iTunes website yesterday was Sunrise, by Norah Jones.

mrsebastian
Jan 20, 2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Qunchuy
First to do this?!

that one got me too! probably someone at coke who doesn't even have a computer and furthermore doesn't know anything about the online music business.

Nermal
Jan 20, 2004, 03:57 PM
I just tried visiting their site, and it doesn't seem to work. It plays an intro then opens an empty window.

punter
Jan 20, 2004, 07:53 PM
can you imagine paying anything for a wma file and then hearing how bad the high frequencies are?

Is that symbols crashing or just some background hissing?

Maybe they've cleaned up their codec since (not to my knowledge), but they've already lost me as a customer before they even launch!