PDA

View Full Version : Xcode 2.5 / 3 changing application icon

kristiaand
Sep 16, 2008, 10:26 AM
hi lads,
again just a quick question, i am at a little bit of a loss changing my applications icon from the standard Xcode project icon.

I can change the icon by using get info and dragging the icon i want into the old icons space in get info, but when i transfer it to other Macs or network shares the original xcode icon re-appears.

what am i doing wrong? i have poked around inside the application in xcode and i cannot see any obvious signs of the icon its using.

also am i correct in assuming an application that is built and compiled on a 10.4 G4 mac will not run on an intel based mac using 10.5?

i did try and the app just seemed to bomb out with an error, saying that the application unexpectedly terminated.

thanks everyone.

kainjow
Sep 16, 2008, 11:09 AM
Get Info on the target, then go to Properties and put the name of the icon file (.icns) into the Icon File field. I wouldn't drag in an icon, because who knows where that icon is located. The icon must be a resource that gets copied into the .app's Resources folder.

If you're building on 10.4, make sure you link against the 10.4 SDK and build as a universal binary. If it's still crashing, there's something else going on.

kristiaand
Sep 16, 2008, 05:41 PM
Get Info on the target, then go to Properties and put the name of the icon file (.icns) into the Icon File field. I wouldn't drag in an icon, because who knows where that icon is located. The icon must be a resource that gets copied into the .app's Resources folder.

thanks for the info regarding this i had an idea it was going to be in there somewhere, but i just could not find it for the life of me... could you suggest any good resources for free mac icons? all i can find are PNG or ICO files.

If you're building on 10.4, make sure you link against the 10.4 SDK and build as a universal binary. If it's still crashing, there's something else going on.

Will have to have another go at this i compiled the app on a G4 mac using 10.4 moved it to a intel mac 10.5 and it just crashed out straight away. so i will have a mess around with the compiler settings regarding this.

thanks again for the help
kris

kainjow
Sep 16, 2008, 06:19 PM
You can use img2icns (http://www.shinyfrog.net/en/software/img2icns/) to convert images to an icon.

If you're testing a debug build, try a release one instead.

kristiaand
Sep 16, 2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks again lads, your all legends im off on hols shortly so this maybe the longest reply to a post to find out if all went well, but again thanks for the info and the program it works very well.!!

thanks
kris