Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Right now, my current camera is a Sony DSC-F717. How does that rank compared to other cameras in that quality-price range? It cost about $1000 in 2003. Pics attached. Sorry for the bad quality, the only other camera I have is on my BlackBerry.

Attachments

• IMG00073.jpg
    IMG00073.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 135

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
There's this.

And then there is the fact that it's a 5MP superzoom from 2003. A $400 D40 will mop the floor with it, and Sony was never known for it's low ISO noise.

Are you actually asking whether it's worth getting one, or are you considering getting a new camera?

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
There's this.

And then there is the fact that it's a 5MP superzoom from 2003. A $400 D40 will mop the floor with it, and Sony was never known for it's low ISO noise.

Are you actually asking whether it's worth getting one, or are you considering getting a new camera?

Not really looking at selling it just yet, just curious as to how it compares to today's cameras in the price range. It's been good for me so far, it takes good pictures. So you're saying that the current $400 cameras easily beat it?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Your question is pretty vague. What exactly is "that quality/price range" when we're talking about a five year old camera? In any case, the type of answer you're going to get will depend on why you're asking.

If you're asking "should I buy another one of these?", then the answer is clear. NO.

If you're asking "can I make lots o' money by selling this?" then the answer is clear. NO. It's old, out-dated tech.

If you're asking "should I keep it?" then we have to ask, in turn: Are you happy with the output? Do you still enjoy using it? Because you're really the only one qualified to answer that particular question.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Not really looking at selling it just yet, just curious as to how it compares to today's cameras in the price range. It's been good for me so far, it takes good pictures. So you're saying that the current $400 cameras easily beat it?
Yeah - a D40 that can be had new for $650 (or used for $400) will kill it in every aspect; even size.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Yeah - a D40 that can be had new for $650 (or used for $400) will kill it in every aspect; even size.

Atually, the D40 can be had new with the 18-55mm lens for $450, refurb for $400, used for less than that... you can get the D40 with the 18-55 and 55-200mm lenses for $530 at Sam's Club right now, too.

Just a heads up, more for the OP than anything.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Your question is pretty vague. What exactly is "that quality/price range" when we're talking about a five year old camera? In any case, the type of answer you're going to get will depend on why you're asking.

If you're asking "should I buy another one of these?", then the answer is clear. NO.

If you're asking "can I make lots o' money by selling this?" then the answer is clear. NO. It's old, out-dated tech.

If you're asking "should I keep it?" then we have to ask, in turn: Are you happy with the output? Do you still enjoy using it? Because you're really the only one qualified to answer that particular question.

I'm just wondering. The camera is fine for me right now, but since I haven't been following the camera world since 2003, I was just wondering what's new. I may want a new one once I start taking more serious professional photos again.

Actually, the D40 can be had new with the 18-55mm lens for $450, refurb for $400, used for less than that... you can get the D40 with the 18-55 and 55-200mm lenses for $530 at Sam's Club right now, too.

Just a heads up, more for the OP than anything.

Huh. Interesting to know. Right now, I have the Sony Wide Angle Lens, a few 58mm lens, and some telephoto lens.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I use the exact same camera for a job of mine where they just have me use what they have, and while it was a great camera then, it came out just before Digital Camera Technology from Canon and Nikon started to take off. Your max ISO is only 400, and it's pretty noisy. Comparing to any recent DSLR, it's not holding up well. Comparing to P&S cameras, it still does a decent job. I know I have taken some great shots with it.

Once you buy a new DSLR though, you'll never want to pick that one up again.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Right now, my current camera is a Sony DSC-F717. How does that rank compared to other cameras in that quality-price range? It cost about $1000 in 2003.

Today you could buy a DSLR setup for under $1000. The dSLR is incomparably better, in a different class really.

We can measure "better" in many ways. The new sub-$1K SLR is quicker handing, does not suffer from shutter lag, focuses faster and has a much longer battery life. Also the image is much "cleaner" with truer color.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
upsguy27: "... Sorry for the bad quality, the only other camera I have is on my BlackBerry. ..."

Say? How did you get your Blackberry picture(s) to load onto your Mac? :confused::apple:

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
upsguy27: "... Sorry for the bad quality, the only other camera I have is on my BlackBerry. ..."

Say? How did you get your Blackberry picture(s) to load onto your Mac? :confused::apple:

email, sd card, enabling use ad external drive...

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Low noise and Sony dont go together that well....

Besides that... anyone who says that a D40 is million miles ahead really should take up something else as a hobby! It better alright but its a different breed of product altogether! I pickup a D40.. use an age old 70-300 and I'll probably get the same results. I attach a 17-55 and it becomes the best camera in the World.....

So if you take photography as a serious hobby... pick up a DSLR immediately. As a hobby.. a prosumer point and shoot. A necessity like a camera has to be present in some corner of your house.... spend the money on something else!

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Huh. Interesting to know. Right now, I have the Sony Wide Angle Lens, a few 58mm lens, and some telephoto lens.

Youre luck that yours hasnt gotten the dreaded LCD sensor glitch...mine did.

And the "wide angle" attachment is a BULKY, HEAVY, UGLY piece of screw on glass that barely adds anything, but certainly takes away quality.

I couldnt understand Sony's idea with this camera then, and still dont now.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
BlackBerry Issue:

" ... Say? How did you get your Blackberry picture(s) to load onto your Mac? "

"... email, sd card, enabling use ad external drive..."

Can't find software to work with regular USB Sync/charge cable? :confused:

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Youre luck that yours hasnt gotten the dreaded LCD sensor glitch...mine did.

And the "wide angle" attachment is a BULKY, HEAVY, UGLY piece of screw on glass that barely adds anything, but certainly takes away quality.

I couldnt understand Sony's idea with this camera then, and still dont now.

Mine did get that glitch... sent it in for a free repair when they were running the repair program.

It is. I've used it once, and put it right back in its case.

There are a few oddities (the on/off switch causes the entire wheel to spin, sometimes spinning the wheel to change camera modes turns the whole camera off), but otherwise it's a good camera.

BlackBerry Issue:

" ... Say? How did you get your Blackberry picture(s) to load onto your Mac? "

"... email, sd card, enabling use ad external drive..."

Can't find software to work with regular USB Sync/charge cable? :confused:

I used a regular USB cable, with the BlackBerry desktop software and synced the photos. Worked fine for me.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
" ... the BlackBerry desktop software and synced the photos. ..."

Which software? My version of "PocketMac for Blackberry (Pearl)" doesn't sync photos or indicate it will do so when configured for iPhoto sync., either ... :(

I don't mind buying more software, but I expected a camera / cellphone of reasonable expense (costs) not to have any extra requirements like extra downloads and purchases ...?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I used a regular USB cable, with the BlackBerry desktop software and synced the photos. Worked fine for me.

" ... the BlackBerry desktop software and synced the photos. ..."

Which software? My version of "PocketMac for Blackberry (Pearl)" doesn't sync photos or indicate it will do so when configured for iPhoto sync., either ... :(

I don't mind buying more software, but I expected a camera / cellphone of reasonable expense (costs) not to have any extra requirements like extra downloads and purchases ...?

Please start a new thread or carry this conversation into PMs... it doesn't fit this thread.

dmartinez19

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Sony DSC-F717

sideby-f717.gif

The DSC-F717 represents the fourth generation of Sony's L-shaped 5x zoom split lens / body design. This started back in August 1999 with the 2 megapixel DSC- F505, in April 2000 the DSC-F505V gained a 3 megapixel sensor but only captured 2.6 megapixels of that (because of the lens design). August 2001 saw the announcement of the DSC-F707, with a larger lens this camera sported a 2/3" 5 megapixel CCD. One year on we are presented with the DSC-F717, still utilizing the same body design, same 5 megapixel sensor and excellent 5x optical zoom lens. The changes this time are more subtle with added features and expanded options.

Professional Cameras

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
My first digital camera was of a similar specification. I thought it was a great camera until technology improved and not much later it was out dated by a lot of improvement in features and image quality. These prosumer zoom models always are getting a little better, now I believe you can pick up a smaller lighter 12 Mp 18x zoom with better image quality than your Sony for half as much.

But as has been stated already, at $500 and up it is worth an investigation in to dSLR technology which blows away the old digital cameras so much so, it is like night and day in image quality. ;)

I don't think any one would buy your old camera at all btw... newer + better go for $15 on craigslist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.