PDA

View Full Version : Short Films

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Dignan
May 28, 2002, 09:21 PM
Has anyone here done any short films? If so, have you put them on the web?

-D

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 09:29 PM
in theory i have. they're not stellar though...

oh yes... the name.... brilliant!

i know several other folks here will appreciate it quite welll...

i wonder if i know you.... hmmmm

Dignan
May 28, 2002, 09:35 PM
I use the apple sites to put most mine on the web for friend and such. Ive done a bunch of short little films, only a few fully scripted. I use a PD150, then final cut on a dual 800 and 800 ti. I knew that by taking this name, I would piss someone off by using something so good, that they wished they had it.

"Tell Anthony I love him"
"Do what?!"
"Tell Anthony...I love him"
".......Alright man, okay..."

-D

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Dignan
I use the apple sites to put most mine on the web for friend and such. Ive done a bunch of short little films, only a few fully scripted. I use a PD150, then final cut on a dual 800 and 800 ti. I knew that by taking this name, I would piss someone off by using something so good, that they wished they had it.

"Tell Anthony I love him"
"Do what?!"
"Tell Anthony...I love him"
".......Alright man, okay..."

-D

so what's the link to your films?

"why do you have that tape on your nose?"
"exactly...."

ps. i am jealous.

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 10:10 PM
I use the apple sites to put most mine on the web for friend and such. Ive done a bunch of short little films, only a few fully scripted.

So lets see them.

You missed the whole BottleRocket discussion on an older thread. You might have the name, but jello's got the 'tar.

MacAztec
May 28, 2002, 10:13 PM
FILMS

MacAztec
May 28, 2002, 10:14 PM
ed

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 10:17 PM
Nice home movies..... Where'd you get the tar???

Rower_CPU
May 28, 2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Nice home movies..... Where'd you get the tar???

Hmmm...looks suspiciously like this one:
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=5642

Great...'tar pirating. :rolleyes: :D :p

MacAztec
May 28, 2002, 10:21 PM
Take a guess. I will give you one hint

You have seen it earlier this day.....

MacAztec
May 28, 2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Hmmm...looks suspiciously like this one:
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=5642

Great...'tar pirating. :rolleyes: :D :p

ARRGGHH!!

You caught me...oh well.

My 'tar sux big chodesos, so I thought if I changed it, how fast you guys would notice.

Oh well, its back to the....thing again :(

(I WISH I knew how to use photoshop!!)

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec

ARRGGHH!!

You caught me...oh well.

My 'tar sux big chodesos, so I thought if I changed it, how fast you guys would notice.

Oh well, its back to the....thing again :(

(I WISH I knew how to use photoshop!!)

I'm moderating the avatar contest forum, of course I knew where it was from. I was giving you a chance to fess up.

Photoshop isn't hard to learn, just start playing and you'll be surprised what you can do.

MacAztec
May 28, 2002, 10:31 PM
I like this tar! I wonder if that guy will let me keep it, but he can enter it in the contest. I will be the one to 'display' it for him :D

Wonder if I can get ahold of him?:confused:

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 10:36 PM
i gotta say... the worst thing you can do is to take something someone created and try to pass it off as your own...

now whether or not the guy who posted it made it himself, you have to at least give him credit til you know otherwise.

that's like me pulling something duke made and saying i made it.

it just sucks. either give credit where it's due or make something yourself. it's not THAT hard. it just kinda belittles the effort that went into it, whatever the source may be.... respect the original artist enough...

word

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 10:37 PM
You missed the whole BottleRocket discussion on an older thread. You might have the name, but jello's got the 'tar.

indeed i do....

there's plenty of dignan to go around though!

Dignan
May 28, 2002, 10:39 PM
I sent jelloshot some links to the many sites ive used up. If he sees them, and approves, Ill share with others. Otherwise, i tend to be a bit neurotic. Im like woody allen, even if people say otherwise, i view most of my stuff as a train wreck.

-D
only decent varification that i dont completely suck, is i did a senior-reserved independant study in film my first semester freshman year, got an A on my film

MacAztec
May 28, 2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i gotta say... the worst thing you can do is to take something someone created and try to pass it off as your own...

now whether or not the guy who posted it made it himself, you have to at least give him credit til you know otherwise.

that's like me pulling something duke made and saying i made it.

it just sucks. either give credit where it's due or make something yourself. it's not THAT hard. it just kinda belittles the effort that went into it, whatever the source may be.... respect the original artist enough...

word

I never said I wasn't going to give him credit, or try to pass it off as my own. I want to be an "advetiser" for all the 'tar entries :D

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 11:12 PM

I never said I wasn't going to give him credit, or try to pass it off as my own. I want to be an "advetiser" for all the 'tar entries :D

you should've said that up front. that's all.

don't try to be sly with it...

dignan... i like... more later.

MacAztec
May 28, 2002, 11:39 PM
Ok, well, next time I "steal" a tar, I will be up front with it.

Alpha...Meesa sowwy!

Dignan
May 28, 2002, 11:48 PM
Im having trouble encoding a quicktime file of my most recent short in under 20mb (I am just using FCP), because it runs around 6-7 minutes. Eventually I will get it up someplace.

-D

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 11:56 PM
Im having trouble encoding a quicktime file of my most recent short in under 20mb (I am just using FCP), because it runs around 6-7 minutes. Eventually I will get it up someplace.

-D

yeah that's tough.... you gotta decide if you want picture quality or motion smoothness..... if you drop the fps it can really drop the size.... but of course that's not acceptable in many cases....

i watched most of em.... there's only the trailer for the war of gods thing eh?

i'm curious what you shot the various things on. all video or what? the one of senthuran "spin" looks like it was on film... but that could just be a trick my eyes are playing on me.... it's got a cool bluish style to it...

well the main thing you have going for you is initiative. i don't know how old you are or what stage of your film career you're at but in any case the key is doing stuff, and you've done that... i would be proud of most of them. and the others are fun, probably inside jokes. so it's not expected for outsiders to get it...

war of gods is quite interesting looking.... is there more to it?

word. out.

atodd
May 28, 2002, 11:56 PM
I've made a very, very, very, VERY bad one, see it at homepage.mac.com/atodd/school (it was made over 3 days at school, and is ultra-crappy.)

I've also written a script for a much better one, and I'm hoping to produce it (about 15 minutes in length) this summer some time. I'll attempt to post it when it's finished, it will be awesome, funny, just really great. The script IS online, but I'm not going to tell you where.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 12:01 AM

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 12:09 AM
well i think the drama created by the war of gods thing was pretty strong.... but yeah, i'd like to see a better compression of it.

i just watched bike.... come on man! it's gotta end! i was liking it a lot... especially the camera movement and the pacing.... and then.... nope! nothing. i wanted to see SOMETHING happen with the guys...

anyhoo, so what school do you go to?

that stuff is pretty impressive (to me) for a freshman..... inside jokes are fine, that's how everything starts. just gotta branch out and make them more universal. but you are doing that in some of them, so it's all good.

so what exactly did you do in fcp for the blue look? just using a bit of a bluish tint? nothing fancier eh?

that's good though, to create a visual style

just curious... how much did the camera cost?

i have a dumpy 3 year old consumer dv cam without white balance or zebra stripes..... it's showing its age.....

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 12:09 AM

Wildcat
May 29, 2002, 12:13 AM
I made one a few years ago. Me and a few of my friends built the set in my dad's garage. I didnt write the screenplay my friend did but I basically produced and directed. It was very low budget but it had a wierd concept. The entire story took place in a convenience store bathroom. We actually got it shot but I have never got around to editing it. Partially because I am unhappy with some of the camera work ( its really bad) that I let my friend do. But anyway its sitting on a tape in the bottom of my dresser. :)

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 12:14 AM
Final cut settings involve some of the following

Wide screen- a must

De-Interlaced Frames

Other effects (Im not gonna give ALL my secrets away) involve clever use of these
Proc Amp
Gamma Correct
Color Correct

Also, if you have an AIM name that can send files, or you arent behind firewall or any of that crap, send me private message...i can send you the scripted short film

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 12:15 AM
Also, ill throw one more in....

The great thing about stupid Ideas that never get finished, or just dont pan out...is that you can always create a trailer...

http://homepage.mac.com/shawshank1/iMovieTheater1.html

It would have been crap anyways, but god if that isnt a good signature shawshank shot, and a clever title as well.

More later...Including stuff that isnt completely silly, improvised, or plain bad.

better to do something (ie a trailer) than nothing at all..... the shawshank one was cool too. needed a bit more steadiness in some of the shots (tripod would've worked in some cases)...

i just watched the interview. haha. good stuff. who is the guy? your dad or something?

i did something similar for a ping pong guy that i made up (several projects revolved around him) but didn't use true to life people who matched the ages of the characters, but it was funny nonetheless....

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 12:16 AM
Forgot about the bike thing

Http://homepage.mac.com/themanmatt

We did it just as an exercise in smooth camera movement. There was no plan, as always, made up as we went along. The tension is nice. We have about 3 different endings we might do, but who knows if we will actually film them. Im open to any suggested endings as well.

But god, its great to piss people off with cliffhangers.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 12:17 AM
Final cut settings involve some of the following

Wide screen- a must

De-Interlaced Frames

Other effects (Im not gonna give ALL my secrets away) involve clever use of these
Proc Amp
Gamma Correct
Color Correct

Also, if you have an AIM name that can send files, or you arent behind firewall or any of that crap, send me private message...i can send you the scripted short film

ahh word. wasn't sure if you'd gone above and beyond the "obvious" things to get the effect... aiight...

i do, but i MUST sleep now...

so then we're left with:

where do you go to school? (pm me if you want...) i go to nyu. will be a senior.

and.

how much did the cam cost (i know, i could look it up but...)?

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 12:18 AM
better to do something (ie a trailer) than nothing at all..... the shawshank one was cool too. needed a bit more steadiness in some of the shots (tripod would've worked in some cases)...

i just watched the interview. haha. good stuff. who is the guy? your dad or something?

So far as steadiness...I have a stedicam type system, a glidecam, that works pretty well...so far as tripods, i try and use them, and i know I should, but they weigh me down, we run, film, run to someplace else...also, so long as the film is only gonna be seen by my buddies, a tripod seems to impersonal to me. its like letting someone else do your work. I gotta be the camera.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 12:23 AM
Sorry, i keep forgetting to reply to stuff...

The guy in interview is my old AP English teacher, a Canadian, a writer, a curler, and a strange, strange, strange fellow.

3rdpath
May 29, 2002, 12:44 AM
cool movies, thanks for posting the two links.

the bike one does have good suspense- i look forward to seeing the chosen ending--and nice choice of score...couldn't place it...all that comes to mind is cape fear.

are you planning on becoming a DP...just wondering. you seemed to talk about camera technique a lot.

btw, gotta love rushmore....you and jello have excellent taste.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 12:53 AM
Gods of war, and the story behind it...

Http://homepage.mac.com/godsofwar

Teaser trailer, Theatrical trailer.

New compression, pretty decent.

Ah, it started senior year. Chris and I began to narrate out loud in a tone that mocked the thin red line. "What is this...homework....is there a learnin side to mankind?.....life....death..." and so on. Then came the pearl harbor trailer. What better way to celebrate than to rip it off. So we figured we could make a war movie trailer, with no budget, no actors, no nothing. Of course this is all insanely tounge-in-cheek. But it turned out well enough, that everyone took it seriously. But here are some quick facts about it...

1. Scenes with Chris, scenes with Sen were shot about 4 months apart.
2. scenes with nazi were 15 minutes long. The kid was an actual german exchange student. You can imagine us spending an entire period going "Okay okay....now say..."WHERE IS ZE GOLD!" In german and english!!!" Was great stuff.
3. All senthuran does is run up and down that same damned hill. And he stands on it.
4. All the blowing up was a special effects demonstration at film studio during a film institute type thing.
5. Chris owned all of his military gear. He is currently in scotland at St. Andrews learning to kill people.
6. For a war movie, there arent any guns. It made my indp. study advisor nervous. (A la, school violence)
7. For the love of god, its a joke!

Wildcat
May 29, 2002, 01:26 AM
I forgot about this one. here is a movie a made in high school. I dont think its that great. I am the main character. enjoyhttp://homepage.mac.com/ztr/iMovieTheater2.html broken link is fixed sory

Macmaniac
May 29, 2002, 06:46 AM
I made a cool short film with music about my dad making Curry Chicken. It is really funny. Thanks to iMovie it looks really professional, I love iMovie.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 08:32 AM
Ok, these are great, makes me want to go and finish my last FireWheel Movie. I think I'll go home tonight and post a short version of what I've got so far, see what you all think....

Great work Dignan!

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 09:59 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/quintard/

Quin macks the ladies! Quin teaches pimpin skillz!

A classic (Mostly because of the fact that we all know quin...)
But might be enjoyable to everyone else. While most the stuff is made up/rehearsed/etc. EVERYTHING quin says, was his own view on how to mack the ladies at the time. We didnt tell him anything to say.

Sorry if its hard to see some dialogue with the music...i was very amateurish at that point.

"...You see me, down at the pool? Down at the pool over there?....yeah, that was me"

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:04 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/quintard/

Quin macks the ladies! Quin teaches pimpin skillz!

A classic (Mostly because of the fact that we all know quin...)
But might be enjoyable to everyone else. While most the stuff is made up/rehearsed/etc. EVERYTHING quin says, was his own view on how to mack the ladies at the time. We didnt tell him anything to say.

Sorry if its hard to see some dialogue with the music...i was very amateurish at that point.

"...You see me, down at the pool? Down at the pool over there?....yeah, that was me"

yeah, i checked it out... mostly it's the inside joke, but i can certainly see how it's funny.... made some of those types of videos myself. freestyle walking and all that garbage...

maybe i should know, but what's the quote from? and the one about the water....?

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
btw, gotta love rushmore....you and jello have excellent taste.

how sweet...

i forget, 3rdpath, have you seen the tenenbaums? if so, what did you think? if not, why not?!?!?

word.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:06 AM
For shame....Quote about the pool is anthony talking to inez in bottlerocket...
"he poured more water on me" is when mr henry poured water on dignan when he tried opening the door that was locked!!!

P.s. Freestyle lance was garbage and a mockery of human existence. It was also done junior year to make fun of 6th graders and their "freestyle walking park"

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:07 AM
As for tenenbaums...

My mentor in film is a cinematographer who is part of the academy, he sent me an "academy screener" of tenenbaums, so i got to watch it in my house before it came to theaters! now you REALLY must be jealous.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:10 AM

Yeah, a little rough around the edges, but not bad. Your *actors* seemed to have a hard time staying in character, though....

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:11 AM
For shame....Quote about the pool is anthony talking to inez in bottlerocket...
"he poured more water on me" is when mr henry poured water on dignan when he tried opening the door that was locked!!!

P.s. Freestyle lance was garbage and a mockery of human existence. It was also done junior year to make fun of 6th graders and their "freestyle walking park"

ahhh yes.... hot dang! and the other one is from when anthony was talking to inez.... word.

yeah, freestyle was fun. i did my share of making fun of it... it's all good. still something to practice your skills...

as for tenenbaums. well, had i been on the ball, i'd have been able to see it at school (ahead of release) and do a q & a with wes anderson... so....

word.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:18 AM
Characters? Actors? What?

These things didnt exist until the last half of my senior year.

But, I wanted to point this one out, another one of my little "exercises" a.k.a. lets film something and see what works.

Nice colors, composition.

http://homepage.mac.com/senthuran1

p.s. the other two things on that page are just bad.

Most of the stuff put up is usually a request of a friend. (According to chris, its a hit in scotland!)

Also, how the in the world could you miss an oppertunity to learn from wes? More and more shame will be placed upon you.

"What the hell has she done thats so great with her life man? Nothing!"

3rdpath
May 29, 2002, 10:30 AM
As for tenenbaums...

My mentor in film is a cinematographer who is part of the academy, he sent me an "academy screener" of tenenbaums, so i got to watch it in my house before it came to theaters! now you REALLY must be jealous.

so you are into the cinematographer side( or dp's as they're also known). mind if i ask who your mentor is? always curious about who in the business is giving something back to the next generation of film-makers.

and jello, yes we did discuss the tenenbaums...i thought it was a little weaker than rushmore or bottlerocket. too many characters and not enough depth..imho

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:33 AM

Nice colors, composition.

http://homepage.mac.com/senthuran1

p.s. the other two things on that page are just bad.

Also, how the in the world could you miss an oppertunity to learn from wes? More and more shame will be placed upon you.

"What the hell has she done thats so great with her life man? Nothing!"

well...i agree. actors are not the most vital aspect yet... you have the composition stuff down pretty damn nicely. you need to get a story (start to finish for once!) and see how well you can tell it... that's the most important thing. learning to work with actors will come more in the next few years. you have time....

the dribbling thing is very cool.... wow. the hard lighting against the sky is very cool. curious how you got that effect? do you take light readings or just mess around and go til something works?

as for not going to see wes... well, i didn't know about it til after it was sold out.... i mean, it was free, but the tickets were all gone....

that quote is probably my favorite from the whole movie.... damn funny.

ps. the tirey thing was damn funny.... just so you know.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
and jello, yes we did discuss the tenenbaums...i thought it was a little weaker than rushmore or bottlerocket. too many characters and not enough depth..imho

i thought so. but that was back when i was first posting a decent amount on here. so i don't remember who i talked about each movie with...

but word. i see your point. but if i may, i'd recommend seeing tenenbaums again if you haven't already.... it's much better the second time....

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:39 AM
Tirey- Has the best fake laugh ever.

Cinematographer who is my buddy is jim pergola, recently retired after working forever as DP, producer on....BAYWATCH! yes, thats right. Baywatch. Heh.

So far as finishing stuff, im working hard to just make a crappy quicktime file of my Umbrellas short film. Then you can see something with actors (and by actors, i mean...my dad. Everyone cancelled at last moment, and we filmed with 3 days left in the semester. And my class, the whole semester, was just doing that film. And zrudlo is in it. But he doesnt talk.)

Umbrellas is a bit on my philosophical side. Keeping humor with existential delimma, anxiety, time, blah blah blah. But wasnt personal enough. Not funny enough.

My friend got a camera like mine, and everyone is back from college. Next up? Take all our experiences being around film students...and we shall be making a mockumentary about film students making a film. They are insanely easy to make fun of, and we have lots of funny stuff that has happened to us to incorperate.

And now, a tenenbaums quote...
"Where's my shoe?"

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:41 AM

I realize that, I was just making fun, sorry you didn't get it...ask jello, he's learned my delivery a little better than most....

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:46 AM

I realize that, I was just making fun, sorry you didn't get it...ask jello, he's learned my delivery a little better than most....

that's just it... i think he got it, and he was pretty well playing off it with the "character? actors? what?"...

his comment about second part of senior year was just to explain some background...

i like to analyze the comments of folks i don't know so well and see what they mean. apparently.... ahhhhh yes.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I was joking as well. I think everyone understands that unless you enter it into a film fest or something, you are learning or messing around.

Just be glad im not recreating episodes of Jack@ss.....

That seems to be what literally every single kid with a camera does.

Im getting close on encoding a file crappy enough to fit in 20mb of umbrellas...so give me a little while and it'll be up

"Can he tell time?"
"Oh good lord no....no..."

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:49 AM
Cinematographer who is my buddy is jim pergola, recently retired after working forever as DP, producer on....BAYWATCH! yes, thats right. Baywatch. Heh.

So far as finishing stuff, im working hard to just make a crappy quicktime file of my Umbrellas short film. Then you can see something with actors (and by actors, i mean...my dad. Everyone cancelled at last moment, and we filmed with 3 days left in the semester. And my class, the whole semester, was just doing that film. And zrudlo is in it. But he doesnt talk.)

Umbrellas is a bit on my philosophical side. Keeping humor with existential delimma, anxiety, time, blah blah blah. But wasnt personal enough. Not funny enough.

My friend got a camera like mine, and everyone is back from college. Next up? Take all our experiences being around film students...and we shall be making a mockumentary about film students making a film. They are insanely easy to make fun of, and we have lots of funny stuff that has happened to us to incorperate.

And now, a tenenbaums quote...
"Where's my shoe?"

the tire thing was just funny overall. goofy, sure, but funny.

well it'll be interesting to see your umbrellas thing. as i said, i'll be trying to get my films from last semester transferred to video and then i'll put em up somewhere...

mockumentaries are damn funny... any fans of best in show and waiting for guffman up in here?

hmm, my ability to see a movie a couple times and retain quotes is not good, so i don't have any good tenenbaums ones (saw it twice)... but that just goes to show how many times i've seen bottle rocket to remember as many as i do. ha...

i really want to see office space yet again as well..... i need to buy it!

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:51 AM
Christopher Guest...Guffman, Best in Show, Spinal Tap....He is in all the greatest mockumentaries. But what we will try and do, is do something sort of like "American movie", just with film students, and have it be made up. See how much you can push the line of what people will not believe to be true. Kinda like the movie "Zelig". Good woody allen flick.

"I'm Color blind?"
"Im afraid so..."

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I was joking as well. I think everyone understands that unless you enter it into a film fest or something, you are learning or messing around.

Im getting close on encoding a file crappy enough to fit in 20mb of umbrellas...so give me a little while and it'll be up

"Can he tell time?"
"Oh good lord no....no..."

well i think if you created a story, given your visual style and creativity, you could "easily" get a good movie for a festival and such... i don't think (some of) your stuff is just messing around....

i'm looking forward to seeing it... i guess i could point you towards my most showable thing to date. a music video... hmmm....

good quote. i can't think of any! uggh.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:55 AM
i haven't seen american movie or zelig...

but indeed, the guest movies are the best i've seen of the mockumentaries...

so how did you get the dribbling shot with the sky in the background and him silhouetted? you dont' use a light meter do you? i'm assumign you just kinda messed with f stop until you got what you wanted?

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:56 AM

i'm looking forward to seeing it... i guess i could point you towards my most showable thing to date. a music video... hmmm....

Yes, lets see some jello productions work, been curious when you'd get around to letting us view it....

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:57 AM
My "Created story" with umbrellas was kinda cheap, since it was mostly narrative. But cruden is a great, great, writer. Funny stuff. He has written to dialogues for us to film, one about two students trying to get beer money, one about batman being gay. And I have no clue how, but he has this kevin smithish thing about insanely clever dialogue, but he almost NEVER writes.

Best thing he has pulled off is emailing the maury povich show with outlandish stories of his love affair with a midget. Apparently it was a big hit over there, they loved it...but they had to make sure it was real.

"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. Vamanos, amigos, he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight."

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:01 AM
Basketball- No F stop needed. I used common sense! Senthuran was backlit. That means I can go into proc amp, crush the blacks until he is all black. THEN, i can manipulate the color of the sunset without affecting him. Thats why the sunset is sepiatoned with some blue in it. Nifty huh.

I also did a vid of senthuran dribbling "against" himself, to see if i could pull it off. I might post a pic or something.

P.s. I got umbrellas under 20mb...Ill inform you guys of site name in just a few minutes

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:13 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/umbrellas/iMovieTheater1.html

Ta daaaa!!!!!!

I wish i coulda gotten a legit actor instead of my pops...but there it is.

Costumes provided by academy award winner peggy farrell! (Shawshank, Titanic, anything period piece) Cool lady.

"Whats that? Oh, its Latin isnt it...."

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:19 AM
Sorry about multiple posts, But since you are a mockumentary fan you will love this (Even though this is a documentary. All true. If you can believe it)

http://www.americanmovie.com/video/americantrailer_high.mov

Then, my favorite clip from the movie...

http://www.americanmovie.com/updates/burgerking.mov

You guys gotta see that stuff. It kills me that these arent actors.

"No, no, coven sounds like oven man" (You'll see)

3rdpath
May 29, 2002, 11:22 AM
that was THE funniest documentary ever.

" coven sounds too much like oven...." and the poor frail grandfather doing what, 72 takes for the opening sequence.....

a friend of my family, who is a dp, had just finished his first indie movie and i recommended american movie for him to watch. he later told me it was too painful to watch-brought back too many memories of his shoot...so i guess every indie has some "american movie" aspects.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 11:53 AM
OMG, that is a riot! Is the whole thing out on video? I'll have to check with my local video rental store, priceless stuff.

'you got to watch your teeth too, cause they clack a little bit when they losen up in the mouth....'

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:55 AM
A dvd is out of it...Im going to go buy it today...

By the way, through the help of the documentary, they have sold just under five thousand copies of "Coven"

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 12:04 PM
That Burger King guy. What a hoot.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 01:40 PM
Yes, lets see some jello productions work, been curious when you'd get around to letting us view it....

letting you... ha. don't think i'd put it that way...

here (http://www.gelbin.org/movies/rookie.mov)

i did it... about a year and a half ago. you'll see my infamous piercings as well as the girl who i'll be living off... you'll also see me trying to make the thing spicy enough with pretty cheesy effects to get the record label who was having a video competition (i didn't win, in fact, i think the record label just made up winners so as to avoid paying up the $1000)... oh, you will also see my idea of a party. kind of...

yeah. well. ok.

oh yeah, the story... the song's about a person who lives a normal, partying type life. then they find out they have a terminal disease. everything changes. so that's the story i used... with aids as the terminal disease..... word

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 01:43 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/umbrellas/iMovieTheater1.html

Ta daaaa!!!!!!

I wish i coulda gotten a legit actor instead of my pops...but there it is.

Costumes provided by academy award winner peggy farrell! (Shawshank, Titanic, anything period piece) Cool lady.

"Whats that? Oh, its Latin isnt it...."

that's a funny ass idea... well done. the editing/shot selection in a few (like 2-3) places could have been better. but nothing big.

quite quite funny.

oh yeah, with all your hollywood connections, how come you are where you are and not... well, usc or just skip school and get in the biz?!?! ha

also, how did you get all the access to places? just ask at stores or what? that's the kind of stuff i hate doing, and thus, usually don't....

cool movie.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 01:46 PM
Basketball- No F stop needed. I used common sense! Senthuran was backlit. That means I can go into proc amp, crush the blacks until he is all black. THEN, i can manipulate the color of the sunset without affecting him. Thats why the sunset is sepiatoned with some blue in it. Nifty huh.

I also did a vid of senthuran dribbling "against" himself, to see if i could pull it off. I might post a pic or something.

P.s. I got umbrellas under 20mb...Ill inform you guys of site name in just a few minutes

well it's not common sense per se. you gotta know something about video/film and lighting and all that...

well done though.

yeah, post a pic of that... would be interesting.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 02:05 PM

i did it... about a year and a half ago. you'll see my infamous piercings as well as the girl who i'll be living off... you'll also see me trying to make the thing spicy enough with pretty cheesy effects to get the record label who was having a video competition

Wow, nice, quite emotional. Like the cube poster. What did you make it with (camera, nle etc.)

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 02:25 PM
Wow, nice, quite emotional. Like the cube poster. What did you make it with (camera, nle etc.)

thanks. i don't generally do serious stuff. but the song called for it....

i just used a pretty crappy canon dv cam (dv hi 8)... and final cut.

the trickiest parts technically were the first part with the line effect to the music.. had to tv mirror and record, then put it back into the comp... the same with the web browsing. and then the parts where i was doing coke or whatever (sugar) i filmed it myself. so i had a hard time knowing where the camera should be and where to point it... couldn't frame everything all too well...

but oh well, came out decent enough.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 03:06 PM
Lets see if this works...

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 04:25 PM
Looks good! Was the background a separate layer and the two dribblers done with chromakey?

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 04:27 PM
So far as school, Im planning on a transfer. I was tricked into thinking this film program was good, but it was a premature thing for my school.

Yeah, a few shots I was dissapointed with myself...but I was running down to the wire, and couldnt do too much stuff over with. But I like the music montage and the ending alot.

My teacher wanted me to use extras, get locations beforehand. But thats my style. This is how you get a place to let you film.

"Hey, im a student filmmaker and im doing a film that will probably be run in film festivals. I need a store in the film, and your store is perfect, if you will let us film just one scene that will take no more than 3 minutes, I will put yourself, and your stores name in the credits...That way, you will get some recognition"

And the furnature movers...
"Hey! im making a movie about this guy who gets tapped with an umbrella, can i film you guys bringin in the chair? Ill put your name in the credits!"

All everyone wants is their name in the credits.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 04:29 PM
None of the chroma key, its all real. And this is how we did it.

the whole film is wide shots, close ups of both as they watch each other dribble, and have a "contest"

Put camera on a tripod, get sen dressed up, do all his routines, and his looking. Then he dresses up as the thug, and we do the opposite end. Since the camera never moved, theoretically the background stays the same. So you layer them over the top of each other, then crop out one side, blur the edge a bit, then use color correction and such to get the two sides to match up well (which is a pain. Since we spent about 2 hours on each "side" filming, the sun changes)

Effect worked well though

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 04:42 PM
That's a difficult aproach for sure. And you have to make sure they don't go too far over the middle, or where the clips intersect. You should try this with a different background, one that moves, it would be even more difficult, but there are some shots that would work.

I'll have to play around with this. Thanks for the inspiration....

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 04:50 PM
as far as the intersection, i started with when they would stand still and "observe", i would just crop a square around them, and do the "feather" thing...make it smooth. But its hard to deal with. If you spend enough time with FCP you start coming up with strange solutions like that.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 05:36 PM
Nice job, I'd love to see the final video, let us know if you post it.

So I went a pulled out the 2001 Solstice video I was talking about and looked it over (its totally incomplete) but I'll post it anyway. The one thing that really bothered me was the video sucked, shot at night with little light and a crappy camera. So I almost gave up but tried that Proc Amp filter. OMG! What a difference. It actually looks like something now, I'll have to play around with some others and see if I can get better results, but this will do for now.

Its rendering and then I'll make a quicktime and put it online. How do I do the movie thing on the homepage.mac.com site? I know it has to be less than 20Meg, that's not a problem.

Thanks,

D

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 05:40 PM
Sign up for an itools account (I have...say, over 10 of them) its free, so its all good. Then drag and drop your quicktime file into the "movie" part of your idisk. Then on itools go to homepage, select 'imovie' part, and you will be on your way. Let me know if you need more...

Since sen video is waaay too long (all he is interested in is watching himself dribble) ill maybe post a clip.

But today he came over and we recorded him "freestyle rapping" to a casio keyboard. It was great. So i might put some of that up as well.

But, for other stuff, and listing of most everything else...

Homepage.mac.com/mtm4902

By the way, taking the "setup" down a notch on proc amp is a godsend. Gets rid of that terrible "washed out" video look

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 05:44 PM
Then on itools go to homepage, select 'imovie' part, and you will be on your way. Let me know if you need more...

By the way, taking the "setup" down a notch on proc amp is a godsend. Gets rid of that terrible "washed out" video look

I'll let you know, should be in the next hour or so.

I dropped the setup to -0.2 for the night scene and it truly was amazing. That's the one thing about FCP, there is so much there, I just don't have the time to go through it all and I'm the only one at work who uses it, so its not like I have resources. I know I could go through the book and learn it, but FCP is just a small part of what I do, I'd rather spend the time working on LightWave and getting the 3D character animation going.

But thanks again for the help, and I look forward to more tips!:D

D

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 05:49 PM
your 3D skills would come in handy if you ever did some chromakey stuff...but god...that just screams "star wars fan film" doesnt it?

Ive decided I'm gonna post senthuran rapping tonight sometime...

"Quin, Cherry, is the bomb
he likes your butt,
He likes your mom"

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 05:54 PM
I'm working on my all 3D epic, Floss Gordon

I've got a really bad and old teaser trailer online now, if you care to look

www.flossgordon.com

I needed to get something up for the site, wanted to make it valid. That teaser trailer is sooo slow, I've got some ships to add and maybe once I get the characters done, I throw in Floss or Dr. Chip Tartaroff spouting off something. As you can guess, this is a long term project.....

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 06:56 PM
None of the chroma key, its all real. And this is how we did it.

the whole film is wide shots, close ups of both as they watch each other dribble, and have a "contest"

Put camera on a tripod, get sen dressed up, do all his routines, and his looking. Then he dresses up as the thug, and we do the opposite end. Since the camera never moved, theoretically the background stays the same. So you layer them over the top of each other, then crop out one side, blur the edge a bit, then use color correction and such to get the two sides to match up well (which is a pain. Since we spent about 2 hours on each "side" filming, the sun changes)

yeah, that's what i would've expected... it's easier theoretically... i mean, chroma key can be hard as crap unless you have some good lighting and good blue/green screens... or just a ton ton ton of time to make masks....

i've thought about using that effect but never did... probably will eventually though..

as for the rest of the conversation you two had (get instant messenger! :rolleyes: )... i've never actually used the proc amp filter. guess that's something i need to look into....

and yeah, i definitely want to see some more of the dribbling, even just a clip. rapping is always cool too.

the umbrellas thing... yeah, i didn't figure it'd be too tough to get people to go along with it, but i don't like to talk to people i don't know a whole lot (just got done cold calling video/graphics places for a job... uggh) and so i'm not big on that.... so what did you use? did you shoot that on video too?

i haven't shot a good movie on video in a while... meaning, i haven't done a good project outside of my film class last semester in a while... i have an 8 minute long funny movie... not too much to it, just funny improv dialogue.... and a gimmick. but i'm sure it'd be big... let me know if you want to see it and i can try to post it on my web site... it WILL be bigger than 20 megs though...

guess that's it. duke, looking forward to seeing the video... oh yeah, could you maybe take two stills from it, one with proc amp and one without? just for comparison...?

word. out

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 07:07 PM
Fish before proc amp...

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 07:08 PM
Fish after proc amp...

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 07:08 PM

guess that's it. duke, looking forward to seeing the video... oh yeah, could you maybe take two stills from it, one with proc amp and one without? just for comparison...?

ok, first run 53 meg, 2nd run 29 meg, 3rd run should do it, but the quality will go down (ha, its really not much of a movie, but you'll see).

I'll try the comp of the Proc Amp settings later.

And you're one to talk about getting a IM, after some of your late night banter....

D

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 07:11 PM
3rd run should do it, but the quality will go down..

And you're one to talk about getting a IM, after some of your late night banter....

let us know.

oh yeah... what's that thing called.... ahhh, i can't remember... oh yeah..... sarcasm!

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 07:11 PM
Oops, beaten to it. I find it really helps with the night scenes, because they're even less saturated to begin with, so in my shots it brought out the fire nicely, along with the highlights.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 07:13 PM
dignan...

how do you come about your widescreen effect?

do you use the camera's 16:9? do you crop the top and bottoms (if so, how do you calculate how much will be cut off when you're filming)?

etc..

curious cause i'm interested, but i've never done it. thought i'd get a quick crash course. so that it's easier when i do it.... booyah.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 07:13 PM
If you ever wanna get that "bleached" film look, darken the blacks by taking the setup down, whiten the whites by taking the video up, and desaturate colors a tad. Works great.

Also, all the stuff you see on any site (except freestyle, which was with earlier camera) was filmed on my PD150. I havent done anything in film yet.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 07:15 PM

Also, all the stuff you see on any site (except freestyle, which was with earlier camera) was filmed on my PD150. I havent done anything in film yet.

so did your school have cameras for you to use and you just opted for your own? how's yours compare to the xl1 and/or gl1?

we got the xl 1 in class but i only used it once. (my video class that is)... i just used my own dv after cause it was just easier. though didn't look as good.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 07:15 PM
Widescreen-

Under "matte" setting in video effects. Works at whatever ratio you want, 1.66, 1.78, 1.85, 2.35, 3, etc.

Using the 16:9 mode in a camera doesnt use all the ccds in your camera, so it yeilds a lower quality image. its also "squished" to fit a normal TV screen, doing the matte in FCP is the best solution. I frame just by memory i guess.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 07:18 PM
I own my camera, and its about as good as you can get in the prosumer range, so i just use it.

It has a higher pixel count (380k vs i think 270k) than XL1. XL1 also has interchangable lenses. I like the easier handheld use, the flip out screen, and the dark gray color. But panasonic has released a kick@ss cam for about 3500, first dv camera to record 24 progressive scan frame rate. Also has 410k pixel ccds. But ill wait to see what sony's response is.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 07:22 PM
I own my camera, and its about as good as you can get in the prosumer range, so i just use it.

It has a higher pixel count (380k vs i think 270k) than XL1. XL1 also has interchangable lenses. I like the easier handheld use, the flip out screen, and the dark gray color. But panasonic has released a kick@ss cam for about 3500, first dv camera to record 24 progressive scan frame rate. Also has 410k pixel ccds. But ill wait to see what sony's response is.

that's cool. i'm curious to see what will come out too.. though i can't afford it...

how do you make the money (as a student) to afford these things? a boat load of cash....

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 07:25 PM
Well, video stuff I use some for my dads business. That way, he helps by paying for some or most of video equipment because of profits he would be getting because of it. (Video emails, other little things.) Then computer stuff I scrounge up myself from jobs, etc. But I probably would have the luxury if it werent for the ability to my dad to benefit, and the fact that he is a big pursuer of dreams guy, believes in what i do.

-D

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 08:02 PM
Ok, its up, its a first cut, not complete, but let me know what you think...

http://homepage.mac.com/dukestreet

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 08:11 PM
I liked that alot...Good music...But wait a second...

That music...a made up sport/event? Seems oddly...familliar....

http://homepage.mac.com/loungeball/iMovieTheater.html

Great minds edit alike, eh?

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 08:18 PM
Oh, that's too funny. Like I said before, this little view into your work has inspired me to do more. We're having our next Summer Solstice event on the 22nd, and I'll definitely get someone to help me with the video end of it.

Last time I was trying to organize the shoot, assemble my fire wheel, light it and run along side everyone's wheel as it went down the hill. That was really a pain since I was just holding it too my head, looking in the view finder as I ran backwards down the hill. I'm amazed I got as steady a shot as I did. Some of the other footage shows how bad it actually was.

But the proc amp is killer, really made enough of a difference that it restored faith in my ability to tweak poor footage.

Thanks,

D

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 08:22 PM
You are fully welcome...

There are two types of people in this world, those who spend their time on macrumors.com, and those who spend their time going through every frickin video effect filter FCP has. So i guess now you can get the best of both worlds.

"Who is that man?"
"What?!"
"Who is that man?"
"Its Applejack man! Comon!"

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 08:28 PM
Ok, its up, its a first cut, not complete, but let me know what you think...

http://homepage.mac.com/dukestreet

it's cool. the fire going in the dark is cool visually... there's only so much you can do with it i think. and you did it pretty well...

funny how you both used the same music. heck, i don't even know what the music's from...

the loungeball was funny too.... nice little move in/zoom out effect used there... and the zudlo outtake type thing was funny. it's pretty dang cool that he acted for you. being a teacher of yours and all. my teachers try not to talk to me... or is it i that tries not to talk to them..? hmm

best of both worlds is key... and that's great that your dad supports your dreams so much. my dad does also for the most part. but he doesn't benefit as much as yours so he did the opposite... helped me get the computer but for now i'm stuck with the same old cam (got it for high school grad)... maybe i can get a better one for college grad.... hmm

"what happened kumar??"
"i don't know man. i lost my touch."
"when did you ever have a touch to lose man?!"

ps. i think you're cheating with the quotes. the one from the tenenbaums (owen reading the book part...) was just too long and hard to remember. you must've checked your advance copy..... eh?!!

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 08:33 PM
Oh, that's too funny. Like I said before, this little view into your work has inspired me to do more.

true dat... hopefully i'll get the job figured out soon and we can discuss specifics for our project duke...

i'm very much looking forward to a project.

maybe i'll film something this weekend with my bro..... hmm

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 08:33 PM
Loungeball...god what a great sport...too bad people kept getting hurt...Senior lounge, gotta love it.

Im running out of quotes...but..an all time favorite

"You in the army, no?"
"Naw man, I've just got short hair"

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 08:38 PM
tenenbaums actually isnt a cheat...or it kinda is. It was an away message of mine for a looong time. Bottlerocket, ive just seen it too much, and owen wilson (like jason lee) is just very quotable.

My teacher is cool, I hang out with him every once in a while, everyon in my AP class did (9 people), very strange, eccentric. But smart as crap and will take you down hard in any arguement over philosophy/literature...but still lots of fun. My dad is a philosopher so they like to talk too.

Loungeball...god what a great sport...too bad people kept getting hurt...Senior lounge, gotta love it.

Im running out of quotes...but..an all time favorite

"You in the army, no?"
"Naw man, I've just got short hair"

well hey... you still had access... and yeah, owen is quotable indeed.

i tried to hang out with a high school teacher of mine once... to go see amistad when it came out (history teacher)... well, he ended up having a "family get together" that day.... haha. it felt like i got stood up for a date... booyah. hence my fear of teacher intimacy. or something.

senior lounge.... we don't have anything like that. that i know of. your school is much more community oriented than mine, what being in the middle of nyc with no real campus and all...

good quote...

"just because it's a front doesn't mean someone doesn't have to do the actual landscaping..."

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 08:43 PM
Yeah, private high school, and they raised alot of cash for a new building, and a big senior lounge. You notice this thread is getting very large? Considering its a conversation basically between three people, and heck, its made me go from newbie to member already.

p.s. If you want me to get more people involved in this thread, ill brag about having 41 posts or whatever, then people will get pissed at how im a stupid new guy and they have an avatar or have bought a mug

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 08:44 PM
true dat... hopefully i'll get the job figured out soon and we can discuss specifics for our project duke...

i'm very much looking forward to a project.

Yep, once your job is a go, lets use regular email to figure out what we're doing. I think we're set pretty much on the overall, but the shots are going to be important, that and the music.

Oh, and btw, you guys got it so good, I hope you realize that. I never had a computer even in college (and I majored in CompSci), and no video until 95, bought it myself. It the technology you have today was available when I was in school, ouch, I don't even want to think about it. You both were born *after* CDs were first introduced, just makes me realize how fast time moves along. But no matter, won't keep me from doing what I love:D

And no, didn't have to walk 5 miles in the snow, I just rode my bike 1 mile everyday to school, then 2 miles to work and another home........

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 08:49 PM
Yeah, private high school, and they raised alot of cash for a new building, and a big senior lounge. You notice this thread is getting very large? Considering its a conversation basically between three people, and heck, its made me go from newbie to member already.

p.s. If you want me to get more people involved in this thread, ill brag about having 41 posts or whatever, then people will get pissed at how im a stupid new guy and they have an avatar or have bought a mug

i went to a catholic (ie private) high school too and we had jack squat. not even a video department or anything.... we did have some pcs though. no macs...

don't worry, eventually people will start crying about how we should just get instant messenger and we're just trying to boost our post counts and whatnot... some people are dumb. it's all good. and you can always win the contest and get an avatar early. ha.

duke- we got it good yes. i'm sure there are plenty of things that aren't as good these days too though... imean, after all, if technology and everything else was always "progress"... why would we have so many depressed/unhappy people? that's the true measure i believe.

yeah, regular email. since i gave you my address back when you were stalking me.... word

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 08:53 PM
i tried (stress on "Try") to make an avatar to win the worst one. All it was was white background with green letters that said "Its not just mowing...Its Landscaping"

Brilliant huh.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 08:55 PM
i tried (stress on "Try") to make an avatar to win the worst one. All it was was white background with green letters that said "Its not just mowing...Its Landscaping"

Brilliant huh.

well, may as well submit it. after all, duke and co. (except arn and blakespot-gotta keep it straight) have nothing better to do than to judge avatars! ha.

but if it's as bad as you think, it could win worst.... no harm trying.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 08:58 PM
I submitted it, but probably did something wrong. Who knows.
What does it matter, by the time this thread dies, ill be able to have an avatar anyways.

Still working on rap thing...its way too long (2 min) but sen rapping about the following: Poop, your mom, quin cherry, beetees (sens made up word), is great. Also when he cant think of crap that rhymes. Sen wants to see it on the web by tonight, so ill link it up.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 09:10 PM
What does it matter, by the time this thread dies, ill be able to have an avatar anyways.

Still working on rap thing...its way too long (2 min) but sen rapping about the following: Poop, your mom, quin cherry, beetees (sens made up word), is great. Also when he cant think of crap that rhymes. Sen wants to see it on the web by tonight, so ill link it up.

ha yes, you probably will. and duke will have passed eyelikeart....

well keep us posted. cherry? poop and your mom is funny.

also, did you ever get to see the vid i posted? if so, what you tink?

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 09:20 PM
Didnt work the first time, but i just got it to.

Nice (as senthuran says) "active" editing. Nice little overlays, transitions and such...and man, NYC is the best location ever. I also gotta give it to you, cause i doubt I could ever film anything that "heavy".

Good on ya.

Biggles
May 29, 2002, 09:21 PM
my friends and i love to make short films. and ours are downright awesome (well awesome for 14 year olds)! However the only drawback is that the shortest one we have is a half hour long....i dont know if i could compress it enough to get it on the web...

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 09:22 PM
Didnt work the first time, but i just got it to.

Nice (as senthuran says) "active" editing. Nice little overlays, transitions and such...and man, NYC is the best location ever. I also gotta give it to you, cause i doubt I could ever film anything that "heavy".

Good on ya.

thanks... as i said to duke before. it's one of a very few things i've done that's serious in the least... but the song is awesome and it called for it... just couldn't put a jokey video to such serious lyrics...

as for the editing... mostly cheesy effects. but that's how you catch people's eye with music vids so i went for it... plus, i was learning. so it's all good....

word.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 09:54 PM
what the friggin heck...

So my idisk wasnt working, was doing spinnin beachball, i tried to restart my finder, wouldnt work....so i touch the button on my screen for a while (restart) it goes black....then i hear a loud tone "BEEEEEEEEEEEEP", then my light on my monitor blinks a ton....then i hear the normal apple startup "boong"....crap...i hope i didnt screw anything up....you know about this?

But only a matter of time till new vid is up...idisk is being stubborn, like always...

I cant wait for a better idisk...

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:02 PM

Its there, you just need to scroll down to the bottom....

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=5654

I'm not slacking on the job, no sir! Got my moderator label, yep.

Now, to get a life.......:D

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:02 PM
what the friggin heck...

So my idisk wasnt working, was doing spinnin beachball, i tried to restart my finder, wouldnt work....so i touch the button on my screen for a while (restart) it goes black....then i hear a loud tone "BEEEEEEEEEEEEP", then my light on my monitor blinks a ton....then i hear the normal apple startup "boong"....crap...i hope i didnt screw anything up....you know about this?

But only a matter of time till new vid is up...idisk is being stubborn, like always...

I cant wait for a better idisk...

might i recommend using "goliath"....

check here (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11096&db=mac)

its idisk connection is much faster.... try it and see how it works....

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:06 PM
All you beetees dont have to wait any longer!!!

Waste four minutes of your lives!

Watch someone make a fool of themselves!!!

http://homepage.mac.com/senraps

Also- Duke, thanks for posting it. You can barely read it. I hope that makes it more crappy!

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:07 PM
Jeez, sorry, its
http://homepage.mac.com/senrap

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:16 PM
All you beetees dont have to wait any longer!!!

Waste four minutes of your lives!

Watch someone make a fool of themselves!!!

http://homepage.mac.com/senraps

Also- Duke, thanks for posting it. You can barely read it. I hope that makes it more crappy!

ha interesting.... funny. i'm surprised he doesn't start cursing and whatnot.... most people do.

he likes poop and moms it seems.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:19 PM
Yeah. None of that cursing. And after you hang out with him for long enough...you find yourself singing about poop an awful lot...

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:19 PM
Has he seen this? You might be able to make some money off him when he finds out he's on the internet......

That's good poop!

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:20 PM
what do you mean has he seen it? He has been pestering me to put it on the web since he left my house today. And with sen, the more people that watch, the better.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:20 PM
Has he seen this? You might be able to make some money off him when he finds out he's on the internet......

That's good poop!

haha. that's the beauty of it.... he's the one who told dignan to put it up by tonight... ha

good poop indeed.

he's against cursing? that's cool... it's too cheap a method of getting laughs usually i think

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:27 PM
what do you mean has he seen it? He has been pestering me to put it on the web since he left my house today. And with sen, the more people that watch, the better.

so should we expect another new MacRumors member? senRapper, senDribbler, senKungFu, senPoop....

I think you might have the all time highest post/day there dignan, if you keep that up, you be #1 in no time.....

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:29 PM
so should we expect another new MacRumors member? senRapper, senDribbler, senKungFu, senPoop....

I think you might have the all time highest post/day there dignan, if you keep that up, you be #1 in no time.....

ha that'd be great.. he could rap for us all on here. might lose something eh? oh and that would make some people mad.... since that's not what this site is for and all..

and oh yeah.... "post count doesn't mean anything'... .blah blah blah.... "you'll be #1 in no time".... psha!

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:34 PM
highest post per day? Jeez....thats pretty bad....

Ill most likely die with this thread though...leaving behind an infamous legend...

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:36 PM
highest post per day? Jeez....thats pretty bad....

Ill most likely die with this thread though...leaving behind an infamous legend...

ahh, that's rough.... no other mac aspects interest you eh?

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:39 PM
My mac interests kinda spring out of my video interests. So im always interested in what kinda stuff they do for that. And im a big art guy, so the new designs, always to look forward to.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:41 PM

and oh yeah.... "post count doesn't mean anything'... .blah blah blah.... "you'll be #1 in no time".... psha!

No it doesn't, but how much you want to bet there will be another thread 'dukes catching up', 'dukes making a move'

It really bothered me that there were 3 threads the other day about it. I don't really care, but everyone else seems to think its important:(

besides, this whole avatar thing is crazy. I can't believe we've had so many entries. It will take us a week or more to figure out who won.....

btw, where's your entry jello? I figured you for at least a showing

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 10:46 PM
Uh oh!!!

Dignan is catching up!!!!!! OVER FIFTY POSTS!!!!!!

According to my calculations, he will be king in no time!!! I have screenshots of my calculator to prove it.

DUKESTREET IS GOING DOWN!!!!!!!!

3rdpath
May 29, 2002, 10:48 PM
wow,

that sen's one bad mother---shut your mouth...

just talkin 'bout sen.....

:D

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:49 PM
My mac interests kinda spring out of my video interests. So im always interested in what kinda stuff they do for that. And im a big art guy, so the new designs, always to look forward to.

so what brought you to the site?

and just for your own info, eye is #1, not me. I'm just an upstart like you (or I was a couple months ago.....)

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:55 PM
No it doesn't, but how much you want to bet there will be another thread 'dukes catching up', 'dukes making a move'

It really bothered me that there were 3 threads the other day about it. I don't really care, but everyone else seems to think its important:(

besides, this whole avatar thing is crazy. I can't believe we've had so many entries. It will take us a week or more to figure out who won.....

btw, where's your entry jello? I figured you for at least a showing

yeah, those are kinda dumb... i will boycott them if they pop up, just to show my support for the good ole f.p...... ha

you haven't figured out who won yet? c'mon. hurry up!

i don't think i'll have an entry. my busy schedule's really gotten to me... oh wait.

dignan- funny post.

3rdpath
May 29, 2002, 10:57 PM
what everyone doesn't know about duke is he hasn't been on-line in 6 months...

he's created a program that analyzes threads for content, question marks and such -then it creates a reply. he has a wide base of templates that are rotated ( not randomly but arithmetically) and a database that he updates monthly from fiji.

so no-one will ever catch him....

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:00 PM
Yeah, ive been around here for a little while just looking at update stuff. Friend showed me where it was. I was sick of saying "How the hell do you know when the new G4 is coming out!?"

"this is a short film about the truimph of creativity in a sometimes dull world" -Senthuran on "Sen Raps"

Also- Notice the homage to bottlerocket? Red and black color titles (reversed, but still), Futura font, With normal first name, all caps second name.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 11:03 PM
hort film about the truimph of creativity in a sometimes dull world" -Senthuran on "Sen Raps"

that's good, almost like he was using a different oriface to speak from....

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:07 PM
hadn't noticed the homage. guess i didn't know the titles of bottle rocket well enough to recognize it.......

duke: you are getting funnier with each day. try to keep that up!

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:08 PM
This thread has some pretty good legs for not that many people being involved. One day I will make the ultimate thread that will incite everyone in anger, and before its shut down, it will get millions of posts of people arguing...."Macs and Abortion"...I can see it now....

-D

And for the love of god no one take me seriously on that.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 11:11 PM
duke: you are getting funnier with each day. try to keep that up!

its getting late, i'm using two computers (downloading really bad images for work on the other), had a couple glasses of wine, ah, you know, those crazy house parties in the middle of the week.....

at least I wasn't out back burning termite wood all night like I've been doing for the past couple of days, been getting tired of the smell

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:13 PM
its getting late, i'm using two computers (downloading really bad images for work on the other), had a couple glasses of wine, ah, you know, those crazy house parties in the middle of the week.....

at least I wasn't out back burning termite wood all night like I've been doing for the past couple of days, been getting tired of the smell

yeah, those parties always result in drunkenness... i know...

there were amazing termite hills in africa..... the size of a small tree! massive

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 11:17 PM
there were amazing termite hills in africa..... the size of a small tree! massive

ooh, do tell, you've been to Africa? I was born there, but haven't been back since I was 3, so no memories. I'll get there eventually, still have relatives I've never seen. Kind of weird, huh? Cousins, 1st cousins, who you don't even know what their names are.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:18 PM
I'm going to sleep. Maybe Tommorow we can have this thread "put to sleep", So it will remain in infamy for a long time. People will wonder where all the short films went. And maybe one day ill come riding back in from the sunset, quoting owen wilson with quicktime files of my friends making fools of themselves in hand...Maybe one day..."After the fighting stops" (Rushmore)

"Who stabbed you?"
"He did."

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:19 PM
ooh, do tell, you've been to Africa? I was born there, but haven't been back since I was 3, so no memories. I'll get there eventually, still have relatives I've never seen. Kind of weird, huh? Cousins, 1st cousins, who you don't even know what their names are.

i went there this past winter (and thus missed mwny.... had to go to my bro's office to see the news on a pc....). we (me and 2 older bros) went to visit my oldest bro and his family (wife, daughter, son).... we stayed for 2 weeks. he lived in ghana. it was great..... once in a life time experience for sure.... was glad to be back though....

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 11:23 PM

i went there this past winter, we stayed for 2 weeks. he lived in ghana. it was great..... once in a life time experience for sure.... was glad to be back though....

Ah, well, I'm from South Africa, a totally different place - culturally and climate. That part of the world is a bit crazy, no? What was your brother doing there?

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:29 PM
Ah, well, I'm from South Africa, a totally different place - culturally and climate. That part of the world is a bit crazy, no? What was your brother doing there?

indeed it's quite different...

it's a bit crazy, to say the least. some very odd things indeed.. odd for us at least.

he works for catholic relief services and at the time was the country rep for ghana. he's since moved back to baltimore and is in the process of getting his family back here too.... he was gonna go to school for his mba but his wife is dutch and has never lived in the usa (they've lived overseas since they were married) so she has to be here a year before she can work. thus, he will work for a year, then go to school. at which point she can work.....

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:30 PM
I'm going to sleep. Maybe Tommorow we can have this thread "put to sleep", So it will remain in infamy for a long time. People will wonder where all the short films went. And maybe one day ill come riding back in from the sunset, quoting owen wilson with quicktime files of my friends making fools of themselves in hand...Maybe one day..."After the fighting stops"

go to bed then... oh, and don't get your hopes up... ha

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 11:33 PM
he works for catholic relief services and at the time was the country rep for ghana. he's since moved back to baltimore and is in the process of getting his family back here too.... he was gonna go to school for his mba but his wife is dutch and has never lived in the usa (they've lived overseas since they were married) so she has to be here a year before she can work. thus, he will work for a year, then go to school. at which point she can work.....

Got to love immigration and the INS. Tell me what good living here for a year would do to benefit you enough for working? Are you going to aquire a skill in a year so you can get a job? But she's married to an American, it just doesn't make sense. I'd have to think they would make exceptions, but you'd probably have to have some notoriety.

And you know we're just waiting for an excuse to go to war with those damn dutch.....

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:37 PM
I feel if i sleep now, this will get out of control and become the african thread.

So, food for thought.

Notice Senthuran was wearing dogtags in the rap?

Maybe, the SAME dog tags in Gods of War?

I found that fact in "Secrets of the best movies ever", a great book.

Little nifty facts, usually about me and anything I film.

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:38 PM

And you know we're just waiting for an excuse to go to war with those damn dutch.....

yeah really... those crazy dutchies and their nukes pointed at the us 24/7.... they're just begging for a huge world war.......

over what i ask, over what

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:39 PM
I feel if i sleep now, this will get out of control and become the african thread.

So, food for thought.

Notice Senthuran was wearing dogtags in the rap?

Maybe, the SAME dog tags in Gods of War?

I found that fact in "Secrets of the best movies ever", a great book.

Little nifty facts, usually about me and anything I film.

i guess i didn't pay close enough attention to the various films to notice...

not that they're not great..

if you want to keep talking film.... tell me some more good secrets of video... word.

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:43 PM
See my brilliance in the details?!
Man...

Also, If I gave you ALL my secrets...then there wouldnt be reason for me to stick around...and then, i wouldnt be distinct!

Lastly, Im not sure if I shall submit this...think this could win worst avatar?

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:46 PM
Also, If I gave you ALL my secrets...then there wouldnt be reason for me to stick around...and then, i wouldnt be distinct!

Lastly, Im not sure if I shall submit this...think this could win worst avatar?

true. but hey, if you dn't keep us on film we'll go off track anyways, and thus you'll fade fast..

nope. it's not ugly enough

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:49 PM
Not ugly enough?!!?!!??

I bet this is ugly enough...

Dignan
May 29, 2002, 11:50 PM
oooh man...im sorry....but thats hilarious....

-D

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:53 PM
oooh man...im sorry....but thats hilarious....

-D

still not ugly enough....

you'd need a pic if that's what you're implying..... eh

iH8Quark
May 30, 2002, 12:55 AM
Yes, I have a crappy film I threw together in a few minutes, and accidentaly saved it as a low quality. Here are my links!

http://homepage.mac.com/jcarian/
http://homepage.mac.com/rcarian/
http://homepage.mac.com/robcarian/

The first link is mine....

heh...I've been to that bone church. Pretty impressive. There's one that's even more spectacular in The Czech Republic...in Kutna Hora. Worth checking out, even on the web.

oh...btw your sister is a hottie. ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 06:33 AM

still not ugly enough....

you'd need a pic if that's what you're implying..... eh

You'll have to talk to krosfyter for that.

So you guys didn't notice that the openning video shot from my silly movie was in reverse. I might have to redo the title section and make it more obvious....

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 09:53 AM
I kinda caught on to the reverseness, I dont think its the obviousness of it, I think its the small size that we see it on the net. I could tell that you did something, just couldnt tell what. If people watch it on a tv, im sure it will be obvious

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 09:56 AM
I kinda caught on to the reverseness, I dont think its the obviousness of it, I think its the small size that we see it on the net. I could tell that you did something, just couldnt tell what. If people watch it on a tv, im sure it will be obvious

Its half speed too, so what I think I'll end up doing is running it a few secs before the title obscures it, that way it might be more obvious.

So what sort of new shoots are you thinking about doing this summer?

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 09:59 AM
After spending time with film students, you tend to notice a few things. One, they take themselves too seriously (They will call a grocery bag full of snacks "craft services") and they tend to get powermad when becoming a director, producer, etc. So what better to do than make fun of them? A mockumentary about students making a film. My friend has a PD150 like myself, so we will be able to use 2 cameras in documentary style, and have the "students" use my old digital camera to make an obviously horrible and crappy film. Should be an easy way to poke fun of lots of people I know.

If that doesnt work, might as well film one of cruden's scripts.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 10:05 AM
After spending time with film students, you tend to notice a few things. One, they take themselves too seriously (They will call a grocery bag full of snacks "craft services") and they tend to get powermad when becoming a director, producer, etc. So what better to do than make fun of them? A mockumentary about students making a film. My friend has a PD150 like myself, so we will be able to use 2 cameras in documentary style, and have the "students" use my old digital camera to make an obviously horrible and crappy film. Should be an easy way to poke fun of lots of people I know.

Sounds good, sort of your version of 'American Movie', ha.

You ever try any location shots that have recognizable landmarks, or do you aviod obviousness? I'm not sure where you live, but one of the most used locations has to be the pier at Santa Monica. I spent a summer out in Pasadena in 93 and went down there several times. I'm just amazed at how many movies shoot a scene there. You wouldn't probably be able to do your 'I'm a film student' routine as easily there though. Could be good for a laugh....

DavidOS
May 30, 2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by iH8Quark

heh...I've been to that bone church. Pretty impressive. There's one that's even more spectacular in The Czech Republic...in Kutna Hora. Worth checking out, even on the web.

sweet!! go Czech Republic!!! I am spending all of next year there - a study abroad probram!!

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 10:13 AM
So far as recognizable locations...I live where they film dawsons creek. So, we have the whole intercoastal/ocean/old fashioned downtown area thing going. I used some good downtown stuff in umbrellas, by the river, the beach. But its nicer to avoid places that are TOO public. Cause then there are zero hassles.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 11:28 AM
So far as recognizable locations...I live where they film dawsons creek. So, we have the whole intercoastal/ocean/old fashioned downtown area thing going. I used some good downtown stuff in umbrellas, by the river, the beach. But its nicer to avoid places that are TOO public. Cause then there are zero hassles.

Ha, well, I still don't know where you live, not really ever watched or know much about Dawsons Creek. The downtown area looked to me to be SoCal - just because of the palm trees, that and your Hollywood references seemed to indicate that general location.

Its funny, but I've not really ever tried to do a video or short movie before, other than to record events. I'll be doing that this summer though, and I'm really looking forward to it. Besides, DC is a great location, lots of interesting things going on here and great views. Its just a matter of not trying to do too much at once.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 11:44 AM
Im east coast. North Carolina.

There are plenty of hollywood people here, and enough of a strong film industry that everything is within reach.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 11:51 AM
Im east coast. North Carolina.

There are plenty of hollywood people here, and enough of a strong film industry that everything is within reach.

Imagine that, right in the neighborhood, so to speak. Its really nice down there, that's for sure. I've been down to the Outer Banks a few times. Its just too long a drive to get to the beach when Delaware is only a few hours.

Have you been on any movie sets down there? Any good ones coming up lately?

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 12:06 PM
I got a thousand bucks two summers ago for my camera by being the "waterboy" on the football team for dawsons creek. Just basically sittin around and reading. I wasnt that big into film at the time. But it was pretty nice.

The movie industry has sucked recently....not lots of stuff filmed. We had a boom about a year ago, domestic disturbance, dawsons creek, ya ya sisterhood, and black knight were all filming at once. Now apparently some wesley snipes flick is gonna come here.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 01:31 PM
The movie industry has sucked recently....not lots of stuff filmed. We had a boom about a year ago, domestic disturbance, dawsons creek, ya ya sisterhood, and black knight were all filming at once. Now apparently some wesley snipes flick is gonna come here.

I haven't seen any of those yet. I might see Black Knight on video or cable, don't know if I can stand 2 hours or so of ML. You know anything about the snipes flick? Still haven't seen Blade2, need to find it somewhere.

And 2k for sitting around, damn, sign me up! Glad to see you put the money to good use....

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 01:41 PM
yeah, a thousand bucks for i think, eight, long...long days. Call time was about 5 in the morning, stay until 9 at night. that was my longest day I think. But always 12+ hours. I know nothing about snipes flick except its in negotiations to come here.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 02:28 PM
Hmm...people don't have a good sense of humor over in the "Gratuitous posting" thread...I guess i just need to stay in my territory over here...

I get no respect.

Maybe they are just jealous because they dont know about "proc amp" yet?

That might be it.

-D

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 02:40 PM
You've just been here for what, 2 days? You'll figure out what's going on soon enough. Its too bad jello's not around, he's always good for a few taunts.

So, that just made me think of something. Do you like Monty Python? You ever see their skits? That's something I'd love to do, totally silly and outrageous, it just requires having the right people, timing is key. Besides being brilliant, they also had their great English accents, which I think gives them the edge.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 02:44 PM
Know whats great about english accents? They make the best actors. English people who cant act im sure come off as great because of the accent. And also, you trust them completely. (If its a good one), and it makes them funny!

Think about guy ritchie movies...snatch and such. The accents is the best part.

Monty python is good, you could do that stuff I bet.

The only hard part would be that "brilliant" thing you mentioned

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 02:54 PM

Monty python is good, you could do that stuff I bet.

The only hard part would be that "brilliant" thing you mentioned

Ah, that one little problem - yep, that's a tough one. But if you find the right people, like I mentioned, it gels. I did some skits in high school, basically spoofing Monty Python and we had a blast. So its only a matter to try that again, I might have coerce a few friends I know for some help and make one up, put it on line and see how it goes.

Its actually not too far from what you're doing with your friends, jus having fun and messing around but 'messing around creatively':D

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 03:03 PM
Another thing, is you have to convince your friends to make fools of themselves, and not only make fools of themselves, but have a perminant record of it too. Blackmail galore. Fortunately, my friends are more than willing to do such things.

Also, check out the color correction...makes for a nice look...

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 03:12 PM
What's the original look like. Post both, next to each other if you can (should be easy to do in photoshop), makes for easy comparison.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 03:21 PM
I had to friggin dig up the quicktime file with that man...its not the same frame i dont think, but close enough.

The original....

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 03:28 PM
Very intersting. What did you apply? I dont' know if I'd want the sky so dull though, but it really depends on what you're trying to go for. As for color, have you ever seen the Mel Gibson movie Payback, very blue and shadowy, you don't know when it was supposed to be exactly - strange references to several decades. I kind of liked that look, good for that movie. Actually, Snatch and Lock Stock and 2SB were sort of the same way, not as blue, but definitely off a bit. I love the way it plays with the mood.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 03:31 PM
Yeah...sorry I cant do something simple like put them side by side. That was from a video for a college application thing. And I just put on color corrector 3-way and went to town. I saved a pic, but not the settings. So I have NO clue what I did. Yeah, payback was that way...and It looks like Minority report will be the same...if you wanna see something ive done blueish, check out what i have posted of "spin", another sen basketball idea. Its not finished, but the intro was done in the vain of minority report. Its at http://homepage.mac.com/roypgan (I think it leads you to a video of me curling, but spin will be selectable at the top)

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 03:38 PM
Well, the Matrix and now Minority Report also use filtering to a large degree. I'm really looking for ward to MR, it looks very slick. I wonder if it will be more than what we expect....

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 03:43 PM
Nice job on spin, ha, sen is your leading man huh? Do you give him a copy of all the things you do?

After looking closely to the 2 clips next to each other, you can see how the detail in the shadows is gone, no descernable locks of hair, I like it. I'll be playing with the filters now, no doubt. I'm meeting a friend tonight, we'll be discussing some film options. I wish I had caught on to the iDisk thing earlier, very nice and convenient.

Does it crop the movies to fit their template. I could have sworn my firewheel was larger than it appears on the apple page....

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 04:35 PM
Idisk tips...

Compress 320 by 240 in size. and use the "drive in" theater setting, it is actually a little bigger than the others. Im off to my friends house, he just got his 14 inch ibook 700mhz...his first personal mac.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 04:44 PM
By the way...cruden was my real leading man...(Http://homepage.mac.com/mtm4902), but sen just always wants to do basketball crap. And he wont talk about anything else until its filmed.

My ibook friend has a will of steel. He has had his ibook for 30 min, and has yet to power it up. He is reading the manuals first.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 05:44 PM
My ibook friend has a will of steel. He has had his ibook for 30 min, and has yet to power it up. He is reading the manuals first.

Truly amazing powers, he has.....

And you got sen to do the bike one, when's the ending going to be added?

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 07:46 PM
I guess whenever I can get senthuran and hunter in the same place at the same time...but who knows

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 08:03 PM
So as the man with more iDisk than anyone I know, I could use some help. I want to put up my wedding pics, but I've run out of room with the first two batches, with one to go. Now I'm not going to go buy more diskspace, but I was wondering how can I connect to another account through iPhoto. When I select homepage it only allows for the original. I don't get it, I should be able to selelct the homepage account, unless this is a way to prevent me from getting extra accounts and managing them efficiently.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 08:08 PM
well, i dont use iphoto...so im not sure. But here is how i think you can do it.

Go to itools webpage, click on idisk thing...when it comes up to ask you to put in password, just put in the new itools accoutn name, new password, and then do the "open idisk"...drag your pictures into the pictures folder, then go on the "homepage" section and edit the pics...

Thats about all i can think of, hope it helps

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 08:10 PM
That's what I figured, I'll just have to do it manually, not with iPhoto, too bad, its a sweet little app. Oh well. Thanks.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 08:13 PM
It would be nice if they could do integration like that with final cut or imovie...Heck, maybe they will

p.s. My buddys 14 inch ibook is pretty cool. But im not sure the extra screen space is worth the extra pound.

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 11:27 PM
You know how you were talking about filming skits?

Well, whats always funny is any cultural or social niche...they always have such strange vernacular...I can see it now, two people arguing, and someone runs up and says "Whoah guys! Lets not have any flame wars here! Is this guy a newbie?!" And the other guys say "What? I was just arguing with him over if he was ahead of me in line"

But then again, now that I think of it...SNL has accomplished that with "nick burns, your company's computer guy"

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 11:33 PM
Yes, I see it now, two people typing furiously at their keyboards, a battle of wits, over the internet. You would have to do some special effects to get things to burn, replace the screen with a nice toasty fire.

But seriously, I know exactly what your talking about. Adding 'vernacular' to a skit adds complexity that makes it more interesting, with out much effort. Always works well.

So you plan on using these ideas any time soon?

jelloshotsrule
May 30, 2002, 11:35 PM
i had a funny idea for a short little movie.. well more of a premise, not much of a story yet.

movie/skit. whatever.

you two are getting close. that's cute.

i thought dignan was leaving after last night?

what the #$%@?!

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 11:37 PM
well, i guess after some moderater gets pissed and closes it ill leave. But so far as using my ideas? getting me past talking about something is pretty hard. Getting me to write it down is harder. Getting me to film it is near impossible, getting me to FINISH filming is quite a feat.

I think it shows.

Spin/bike...who knows if those will ever be done...

And who knows if ill ever film my mockumentary....

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 11:38 PM
i had a funny idea for a short little movie.. well more of a premise, not much of a story yet.

Its been a slow day, where've you been?

So, what's the plot?

Dignan
May 30, 2002, 11:40 PM
I'm gonna leave now and let you two take it over for the night.

Let the creativity flow.

Until then, here are the first lines of one of the next things ill film...

"I have a brilliant Idea, Dave."

I knew at this moment that Chris and I were shortly going to be either arrested, or possibly rusticated. A simple outing to the library had just turned into what would be an afternoon, I was sure, of borderline criminal activity and more than likely a beer in Broons.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 11:43 PM
I'm out of here shortly myself, had a few beers at a local bar this evening, ended up there being a fight of a pool game. Very weird, one guy got knocked out and they ended up getting the paramedics and police. Eventful evening.....

jelloshotsrule
May 30, 2002, 11:47 PM
Its been a slow day, where've you been?

So, what's the plot?

apparently not too slow eh

i was in a golf tourney and then hung out with my bro and friends. believe it or not.

seen the commercial for the cell phone company with jamie lee curtis with the line.... "her name is illegal minor"?

if not, tell me now and i'll have to explain before explaining the premise... no specific story yet.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 11:49 PM
Sorry, I've seen Jamie Lee doing the commercials, but not that one, so explain away....

jelloshotsrule
May 30, 2002, 11:54 PM
teenage girl dressed up to go out and party... short skirt, tight skanky top. her parents: "you're not going out like that"...

jamie pops out of nowhere... shows the cell tell "i have an idea...."

shows the girl at a club, dancing it up... the cell phone clipped to her waist.

some dude comes up.... "hey, what's your name?"

out of the cell phone comes "her name is illegal minor" in this funny deep voice (it's the dad on the line of course)...

it's just such a goofy funny thing. gotta see it...

so my idea is just basically to expand on that... put the idea into different situations... though probably not with a skanky girl. i don't know specifically yet... i just kept joking with my bro/friends tonight and saying in this goofy deep voice... "her name is illegal minor!"

like a will ferrell janet reno voice... id on'tknow.

Mr. Anderson
May 31, 2002, 07:49 AM
Yes, I've actually seen that commercial, pretty silly, but it would work as a great spoof. Now, the girl would be illegal minor all the time, or could her name change depending on the situation.

What are all the awkward places that you could use? Date, Movies, Club - not really many without staying with the original spot. I'd love to here more.

D

Mr. Anderson
May 31, 2002, 08:25 PM
So I went and played with the opening a little and also measured the sceen size of the Drive In on the iDisk, its another ratio for the 4:3 that I didn't know 308:231.

So I its now on a new page as well. Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://homepage.mac.com/firewheel

can't believe firewheel was available, go figure.

D

Dignan
May 31, 2002, 09:28 PM
Im still having a hard time with the concept that you make big wheels, set them on fire, and roll them down a hill....

Otherwise, site and movie are lookin good!

Mr. Anderson
May 31, 2002, 09:59 PM
Wait till you see this years, its going to be silly, provide it doesn't rain. The most amazing thing has to be the fact that its right in DC, a few blocks from Connecticut Ave. When we torched the Xmas tree it lit up the night, I still find it hard no one has shown up (police).

One of the better events had to have been the sparkler bomb, I'll have to dig that video up.

And if you haven't guessed, we're all sort of closet pyros, but we're careful. We have a ton of water and everyone runs down the hill putting out the little bits that fall off on the way down.

D

Dignan
Jun 1, 2002, 12:57 PM
Im making two short things about my dogs...ill put them up later

Also, my HIGHEST recommendation for short films...

www.bmwfilms.com

BEST on the net.

Guy richies is maybe my overall favorite, but wong kar wais "the follow" just kills me (the cinematographer in me), ang lee's is also good. But god what great directors, great stories, great cars.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 1, 2002, 01:46 PM
Dignan, you should check this (http://www.flossing.org/pages/mouthWatch.html) out. Submit your MacGyver video, it would be perfect.....

Also if you have any other floss related films, send them in as well.

D

Dignan
Jun 1, 2002, 02:12 PM
Floss related films hmmm?

My mom was a dental hygenist...she would be proud if i won...

Also, one of our favorite kinda inside jokes in macgyver, is that he uses the scissors on his swiss army knife to cut the detal floss, even though its easier to just use the little hook on the floss...

you watch any bmw films?

3rdpath
Jun 1, 2002, 02:16 PM
Guy richies is maybe my overall favorite,

the dp, chris soos does some amazing work.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 1, 2002, 04:17 PM
Floss related films hmmm?

My mom was a dental hygenist...she would be proud if i won...

you watch any bmw films?

Ha that would be funny, wouldn't it. Anyway, contact Armand and tell him you'd like to enter. Might want to put a fast title and credits, but other than that I imagine its ready to go.

Post the link to the bmw films, I haven't seen them.

D

Dignan
Jun 1, 2002, 04:31 PM
www.bmwfilms.com

I recommend downloading the bmw film player, and all the films full screen (when you do it that way, its like a dvd player, you can watch them normal, with commentary, and watch these little "substory" things. Great stuff.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 02:23 PM
www.bmwfilms.com

I recommend downloading the bmw film player, and all the films full screen (when you do it that way, its like a dvd player, you can watch them normal, with commentary, and watch these little "substory" things. Great stuff.

Those are some slick movies, and I'd just love to know what their budgets are......

Chosen had an amazing chase scene on the docks, it was almost like a ballet, but with cars. Very cool.

I think if I do any, I'll end up putting something 3D in it, just because that's my background.

Dignan
Jun 2, 2002, 03:25 PM
I liked the story in "The chosen", the little hulk band-aid was like an homage to his hulk movie thats coming out! Ang lee also said he wanted it to be like a ballet dance...so right on.

3rdpath
Jun 2, 2002, 03:37 PM

Those are some slick movies, and I'd just love to know what their budgets are......

the budgets were MAJOR BIG. unheard of for an online only release much less for a commercial. they only used the cream of the crop from the directors on down and majorly juggled schedules to make sure key people were available. no second choices were permitted--period.

but the results speak for themselves.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 06:33 PM
I liked the story in "The chosen", the little hulk band-aid was like an homage to his hulk movie thats coming out! Ang lee also said he wanted it to be like a ballet dance...so right on.

Ha, I wondered at the Hulk bandaid. I haven't read the info on the movies yet, and I have one more to see. What's with the subplot info? It didn't make any sense, am I missing something?

Dignan
Jun 2, 2002, 06:39 PM
The subplots are cool, because in one video they show a web address, and then you can type it in and it has cool little info about the driver...one of those "interactive" experiences. Oh well, they still are junk. But those were directed by the guy who directed boiler room. See? even the crap is good crap!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't say they are crap, I'm more inclined to think of them as overdone commercials with heavy Hollywood influences.

And that's exactly what they are. But technically and artistically they have merit. Its been making me think how I'm going to have to rig a video shoot of my own with a car in it. More of a spoof actually, I'll end up using an '93 mini van. The only thing that bothers me is how to get the outside shots, mounting the camera to the hood might take a bit of work and then I have to worry about it staying on. But knowing I could pull it off would be worth it.

Dignan
Jun 2, 2002, 06:53 PM
Nah, the subplots i thought were junk, not the shorts.

Because, they are more like a bond movie than a commercial. I mean, they beat the hell out of the cars. Which is great. And bmw didnt care what they did. It was just "Hey, use a car", then they got good writers too, good directors, all that...and i bet it was a blast for them. Like going back to film school, just with huge budgets. I bet it was lots of fun. You can listen to commentary and hear what the directors say about it. The funniest is guy richie talking about how BMW was nervous because the first day of shooting he was launching a 70 thousand dollar car into the air. I really hope this starts a new trend of quality quasi-mercials. But what i think its nice is that there isnt any beauty shots of the car or anything, the cars tend to be second to the story. And hey, you gotta give it to bmw for taking that jump, considering they only showed them online (although i would have LOVED to see them screened before a movie. Since there are always commercials for like, coke...that suck. Might as well be entertained.) also, I wanna be able to buy a dvd of them...a kid i know said he got a dvd of them when he got TIVO...i want one...bad...

But what sucks is lots of people wont give the short films a chance because they dont like bmw. But i might not be objective in that sense either...considerin i love em

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 10:23 PM
The funniest is guy richie talking about how BMW was nervous because the first day of shooting he was launching a 70 thousand dollar car into the air. I really hope this starts a new trend of quality quasi-mercials.

It would have also been a good commercial for depends....

But by upping the level of commercials, like this, would definitely make sitting through them in the theater much easier. I wouldn't mind seeing these on the big screen, and I'm sure most people would love them, regardless, because of who's doing the directing and writing. Add a few stars and you've opened the door for a whole new business, its no long product placement but name or star placement. Who's the star of the new commercial, not what products are in the latest movie.

Dignan
Jun 2, 2002, 10:29 PM
Wanna know something great?

Guy richie got paid 150 grand for directing.

Madonna got over a million for being in it.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 2, 2002, 10:31 PM
i'd heard a lot about them but haven't checked them out yet.

i downloaded the player but don't want to deal with classic right now... will check em out tomorrow.

word.

Dignan
Jun 2, 2002, 10:32 PM
You can always just watch them streaming on the site...but you wont get full screen.

Full screen might be worth it.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 10:32 PM
Wanna know something great?

Guy richie got paid 150 grand for directing.

Madonna got over a million for being in it.

Does not surprise me in the least. Especially with her at the end, she has to have a sense of humor about herself if she'll play herself as such a bitch that gets what's coming to her....

Dignan
Jun 2, 2002, 10:53 PM
but she was soooo bad at playing a bitch! Know who shoulda gotten the cash? The guy that played "glen". And whoever the stunt driver was.

Im just glad that guy richie was the only one with the balls to make the driver funny.

3rdpath
Jun 2, 2002, 11:06 PM
madonna isn't an actress. she can't even pull-off playing herself.

omg, she's just horrible.

and btw, 1 million for madonna was a cut-rate favor for the hubby.

Dignan
Jun 2, 2002, 11:14 PM
And since they are married, i assume the money is going to the same place anyways. So all in all, probably not a bad business deal.

Also, make sure you guys watch the two behind the scenes featurettes

and david fincher was executive producer...why didnt he film one!!! (I kept thinking BMW films, part two...who should do what.) I thought fincher, john mctiernan, steve soderbergh, the two matrix brother guys, and a few others would be great and doing them...and hey, bmw just came out with the new M3 and the new 7 series...maybe they will.

I can only hope.

Dignan
Jun 2, 2002, 11:35 PM
Does anyone else find it amazing that this thread has gone a bit over 200 posts without the following...

1. It dying.
2. People getting pissed off and arguing.
3. It being about politics or religion or some kid and his laptop
4. Without cries from the villagers to kill it.

and because it is...
1. Being basically a chat between less than 5 people
2. Stayed on topic fairly well
3. And seems like it still has some life left in it.

Lets hope we all keep making films and posting them for public mockery...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 07:11 AM
Does anyone else find it amazing that this thread has gone a bit over 200 posts

Actually, its quite a narrow subject and the few people who have posted here are the ones who actually do make the short movies, so its not that surprising. Most every one else doesn't share the same enthusiasm. I'll be posting a thread for Mouth Watch soon and we'll see how many people actually participate in that....probably less, but you never know.

Dignan
Jun 3, 2002, 09:13 AM
Senthuran is coming over today...I wonder if i can convince him to film something about floss...you never know.

But that bum has never seen The Graduate!

So we might watch that.

"I've always thought you were the most attractive of all my parent's friends"

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 09:22 AM
Senthuran is coming over today...I wonder if i can convince him to film something about floss...you never know.

But that bum has never seen The Graduate!

That is a great movie, but I don't know if I'd be able to sit around watching a movie if it was nice out, its absolutely gorgeous here today, I look forward to a run.

But tempt him with the floss idea. I've got several things to put up this week, other short videos of some floss 'commercials' more along the lines of the ads we have on flossing.org.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 01:38 PM
how come wong kar-wai's film is no longer available?

i liked them mostly. i still see them as expensive commercials or at least just action sequences. dont' get me wrong, they're great action sequences... but i don't get too into those in general.

oh, and i realize the ridiculous work/skill that went into them. just saying i'm not big on em in general...

but why isn't that one on there anymore...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 01:58 PM
Which one was that? I have the player on my machine at home, not at work?

I agree, they were expensive action commercials, but if it becomes the next thing in ads, I'm all for it. Much more entertaining than what we see now.

3rdpath
Jun 3, 2002, 02:00 PM
i liked them mostly. i still see them as expensive commercials or at least just action sequences.

they were commercials. experimental and long form, but still just ads for a car maker. they did generate a lot of interest and bmw north america surpassed their sales estimates in that peiod...no one can say for sure how big a role the films played in their success but they were a factor.

the other element that was interesting about this campaign was bmw didn't need to buy any ad time-everything was shown on the internet( and they got a huge amount of free press). i think it is pretty savvy how they put it together and targeted their audience.

and i'd much rather make the choice to go see an ad than have one thrust upon me while watching tv or a movie.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 02:16 PM
3rdpath and duke:

i agree on all your points.... ie, this is better than seeing the current commercials and whatnot.

i'm just saying, all that aside, i'm not big on action movies.... just in that they don't offer much on the story level... characters and personality and whatnot are usually pretty shallow.

then again, these action sequences are a bit funny and all put together give us some character for the driver....

just saying is all

oh and duke: i forget the name of wong's film.... it was number 3 i think....

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 02:18 PM
What was the story line, I don't remember it either...

have you been to www.ifilm.com ? They have some interesting things now and then.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 02:19 PM
that's just it, i don't know the storyline. cause it wasn't there to download anymore...

i'm guessing it was about clive owen driving someone somewhere in a bmw....

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 02:40 PM
i'm guessing it was about clive owen driving someone somewhere in a bmw....

probably being chased by someone with guns?

I remember that one, very cool......

don't be a smartass:D

I'll check when I get home and let you know. So it still on for tomorrow?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 03:02 PM
probably being chased by someone with guns?

I remember that one, very cool......

don't be a smartass:D

I'll check when I get home and let you know. So it still on for tomorrow?

very cool. indeed. and being a smartass is cool when it's funny. and since i'm always funny... wait.

yeah, as of now, still on.... just gotta wait til the morning. if he cancels again, then.... i guess that's that. but i figure, given that i cold called him, it'd have been easy enough to blow me off had he no interest.... everyone else did.

Dignan
Jun 3, 2002, 04:51 PM
wong kar wais is "the follow"

the least advertisement-like of them all, and my favorite

hmmm...I wonder if i could make a bmw film...

Dignan
Jun 3, 2002, 04:57 PM
Also, so far as gripes on story...

Not too much you can do story wise and character wise in 5 minutes. Although I think the last two films (wong kar wai's and then the dude in the X5) did the best job at trying, and not making it a james bond film with their own twist.

Well, I'm sure the outcomes are better than if apple did "apple films."

Ford did something similiar with the short film "gulp" (can be found on atomfilms.com), very cool little short, directed by ivan reitmans kid.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 05:18 PM
Ok, I didn't download that one for some reason and now its not available, just like jello mentioned. Oh well, maybe it will be up later.

Are the any other places with good shorts?

Dignan
Jun 3, 2002, 05:21 PM
I would just say atomfilms.com

Why dont you try watching "The Follow" streaming on bmws site?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 07:20 PM
Also, so far as gripes on story...

Not too much you can do story wise and character wise in 5 minutes. Although I think the last two films (wong kar wai's and then the dude in the X5) did the best job at trying, and not making it a james bond film with their own twist.

Well, I'm sure the outcomes are better than if apple did "apple films."

Ford did something similiar with the short film "gulp" (can be found on atomfilms.com), very cool little short, directed by ivan reitmans kid.

well yeah, not too much you can do. but it's still possible... as i've said again and again... they were cool. extremely well done. top notch. but they were still 5 minutes of action and a little bit of character. which is fine, but not something i get too too fired up about.

i particularly like that ang lee drives a 95 minivan.... ha.

if apple hired those directors and spent that money, i don't see why they couldn't do just as well...

atomfilms is good, yeah. and i will probably check out wong's later tonight.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 08:47 PM
I tried going to atom films, but I typed in atomicfilms, that was fun, I had no idea at first I was at the wrong site, till I realized all the shots were commercials....its been a long day:rolleyes:

Atom Films is very cool, except for the damn popup windows....

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 08:50 PM
I tried going to atom films, but I typed in atomicfilms, that was fun, I had no idea at first I was at the wrong site, till I realized all the shots were commercials....its been a long day:rolleyes:

Atom Films is very cool, except for the damn popup windows....

well, in chimera there are no popups...

but then again, i can't actually view the movies in chimera.....

a SLIGHT downside.

Dignan
Jun 3, 2002, 09:43 PM
atomicfilms.com? I'll have to check it out...any suggestions of what to watch?

Dignan
Jun 3, 2002, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah!

You guys ever see "Lucas In Love"? the short film? Dang its good! i have a dvd of it...and i think it streams on mediatrip.com.

Definately check it out.

Film club is decent as well, and so are a few others, but lucas in love is a geek/film fans dream short. very well done

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah!

You guys ever see "Lucas In Love"? the short film? Dang its good! i have a dvd of it...and i think it streams on mediatrip.com.

Definately check it out.

seems like it's not streaming. you get a link to buy it at amazon.... hmm

sounds familiar though. i guess il'l have to look into it... let me know if you see it at another place.

Dignan
Jun 3, 2002, 10:32 PM
Maybe they realized they could just get more cash that way....money grubbing bums!!!

At a time, it was the highest selling VHS on amazon for god knows how long...and i had never heard of it. pretty cool huh?

My only suggestion is maybe do a google search.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 07:28 AM

At a time, it was the highest selling VHS on amazon for god knows how long...and i had never heard of it. pretty cool huh?

Now that's crazy, a short as the biggest seller. What's it about and why is it so good? Did it win something?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 08:32 AM

Now that's crazy, a short as the biggest seller. What's it about and why is it so good? Did it win something?

as you always tell me.... a simple google search can tell you alot.... doggy dogg.

Dignan
Jun 4, 2002, 08:33 AM
Imagine shakespeare in love....then, with george lucas. Its all him trying to write star wars...but its great, so well done. 8 minutes long I think, it won a few awards, but nothing too big as I remember.

Dignan
Jun 4, 2002, 09:06 AM
I wonder if with quicktime broadcaster...I could start doing "live theatre" short films...hmmmm...

Maybe a new market niche?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 09:10 AM
I wonder if with quicktime broadcaster...I could start doing "live theatre" short films...hmmmm...

Maybe a new market niche?

i doubt it'll happen yet.

the compression would then have to occur on the fly...

which isn't happening with current computers... but making a movie and broadcasting it "live" could happen. ha