Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
I am trying to connect to a network.. My Airport card see's the network (as the name of the network is shown), however when I try and connect it asks for a password but there is no network password. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
Simon :(

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
i bet you tried just not entering a password and trying to connect to the network, didn't you?

hm. my suspicion is that there is something amiss with the settings on the wireless router. my router sometimes gives us a hassle (but usually its just the stupid dsl).

i guess that i just dont know besides my first question. Sorry!

Simon L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by michaelrjohnson
i bet you tried just not entering a password and trying to connect to the network, didn't you?

hm. my suspicion is that there is something amiss with the settings on the wireless router. my router sometimes gives us a hassle (but usually its just the stupid dsl).

i guess that i just dont know besides my first question. Sorry!

I tried to bypass it without entering a password cause to my knowledge and the guys who set the network up there is no "network password"

Cheers,
Simon

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You should try and download MacStumbler to see if WEP is turned on for the network. If it is, you'll need a password.

The way Airport works is if there's no password, then you can just select it and you're connected.

Simon L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by ftaok
You should try and download MacStumbler to see if WEP is turned on for the network. If it is, you'll need a password.

The way Airport works is if there's no password, then you can just select it and you're connected.

Apologies but I am a non-techie, where can I download the MacStumbler from and what is WEP...?

:)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Simon L
Apologies but I am a non-techie, where can I download the MacStumbler from and what is WEP...?

:)
WEP is short for Wireless Encryption Protocol, I think. Basically, it means that everything that is sent from the computer to the router and back is encrypted with a passkey. Both the router and computer must have the same key or the connection won't be made.

You can download MacStumbler over at http://www.versiontracker.com

Just do a search for MacStumbler and you're in business.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Thanks I will have a go at that....
or you can setup a password;)
coz i had a similar problem with my ibook. In my case we had a password..and it refused to take that..actually it had something to do with the kind 16 bit,64 bit etc,.... so finally i changed the network password to some bit which my mac recognised,...

Simon L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by ftaok
WEP is short for Wireless Encryption Protocol, I think. Basically, it means that everything that is sent from the computer to the router and back is encrypted with a passkey. Both the router and computer must have the same key or the connection won't be made.

You can download MacStumbler over at http://www.versiontracker.com

Just do a search for MacStumbler and you're in business.

Do I download the Mac Stumbler on the Mac or the Network PC?

Originally posted by abhishekit
or you can setup a password;)
coz i had a similar problem with my ibook. In my case we had a password..and it refused to take that..actually it had something to do with the kind 16 bit,64 bit etc,.... so finally i changed the network password to some bit which my mac recognised,...

How do I change/set the password, and what bit will my Mac recognise...

Sorry for the questions..! :(

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Do I download the Mac Stumbler on the Mac or the Network PC?
You would download MacStumbler onto your Mac. It's an application that will seek out all networks around your Mac and give you some information about it. Namely, whether WEP is enabled or not.

How do I change/set the password, and what bit will my Mac recognise...

Sorry for the questions..! :(
I believe that Airport can work with 40/64-bit and 128-bit.

Simon L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
OK I now have the MacStumbler on the powerbook, it is seeing the network that I want to join and has:

* medium signal
* 0 noise
* WEP yes
* vendor unknown

I know the WEP pword, where do I put it on my Mac to make it "talk" to the network. Also do I have to have an account on the network using the same username and password as I do to log onto my powerbook..

Thanks... :eek:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK I now have the MacStumbler on the powerbook, it is seeing the network that I want to join and has:

* medium signal
* 0 noise
* WEP yes
* vendor unknown

I know the WEP pword, where do I put it on my Mac to make it "talk" to the network. Also do I have to have an account on the network using the same username and password as I do to log onto my powerbook..

Thanks... :eek:
OK, this is good. You should be able to connect.

Go up to the Airport Signal "widget" on your and select the network. A dialog box should appear prompting you for a password.

The password should be either 26 or 13 characters long. You may need to put a $ or # in front of it to work.

And you might want to allow Keychain to memorize the password for you.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The WEP number I have is only 10 digits long! :(
I guess you could try using it. I don't know if it will work. I was expecting 26 characters for 128-bit WEP or 13 characters for 40/64-bit WEP.

Have you tried the 10 character password? Maybe it'll work.

Simon L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
I tried the 10 character pword with a $ and it works (I think).. There is now a tick next to the network name in the airport ext menu so I guess that means I am connected..

When I try to go online via safari I get an error message saying SEVER NOT FOUND, any ideas?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I tried the 10 character pword with a $ and it works (I think).. There is now a tick next to the network name in the airport ext menu so I guess that means I am connected..

When I try to go online via safari I get an error message saying SEVER NOT FOUND, any ideas?
Check your "Network" system preference. Make sure you're using the Airport card as your network connection and not Ethernet or your modem.

Simon L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
When I goto Network Setup Assitant and attempt to setup I go:

"i use airport to connect to the internet"

I then select the network

it asks for a password so I put the WEP in with the $ at the beginning

I hit continue to config and I get unable to establish a network connection, your computer could not connect to the internet.

Urrhhh....

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Simon,

I'm not referring to the Setup Assistant.

You should check out the Network System Preference. Make sure you're using Airport to connect and not Ethernet.

If you do that, you should be OK.

Simon L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Ok it says, "airport is connected to the network. Airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet"...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I've never seen that one before.

Perhaps you should not have your Mac assign itself an IP address. Why don't you try using DCHP and see if that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.