PDA

View Full Version : Independant filmmaker uses iMovie to create his feature-leng...

MacBytes
Jan 20, 2004, 11:37 AM
Category: Apple Software
Link: Independant filmmaker uses iMovie to create his feature-length Sundance documentary Tarnation (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040120123701)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

rogozhin
Jan 20, 2004, 01:45 PM
Even if the movie is a dud (which judging from the big names hawking the thing in the article, it isn't), the fact that the guy spent less than 300 bucks and used consumer video editing to make a Sundance Festival-quality film is astounding.

In just a cost comparison alone, this fellow makes Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith look like James Cameron and Cecile B. DeMille. Welcome to the future of independent cinema, courtesy of a troubled childhood and an iMac...

1macker1
Jan 20, 2004, 02:00 PM
I was about to say NO FRICKIN WAY, but i haven't seen the movie. As a iMovie user, i know first hand that it's sllooooooow and crashes alot. And i'm only doing 30 min movies. I cant see someone doing a feature length film with this program. But hey if he did, I tip my hat to him.

Gizmotoy
Jan 20, 2004, 02:50 PM
Yea, when I read this on Wired this morning I knew I had to submit it. I can't believe he made an entire feature with iMovie... and for only $300! And it's getting big-name support. Quite a feat this guy pulled off, I'd say...

nagromme
Jan 20, 2004, 03:52 PM
Congrats to the guy--submitting to Sundance is one thing... getting accepted is another! Macintosh has indeed done for video what it did for publishing.

iMovie's a great app--and I haven't even used iMovie 3 much less 4. I'm jealous of friends with a DV cam... but I just can't justify one right now.

ITR 81
Jan 20, 2004, 05:30 PM
Even if Sundance doesn't take it I'm sure some of the Nodance type film festivals will take it and or IFC.

dave1234
Jan 20, 2004, 05:51 PM
Wow, that is amazing, A full length movie, I wonder how much HD space it ate up...

nagromme
Jan 21, 2004, 12:13 AM
The article says that Sundance DID accept it. A great achievement for one little Mac.

LethalWolfe
Jan 21, 2004, 12:32 AM
Lord I can't even imagine cutting a feature length film in iMovie. The mere thought makes my brain cramp. Yeah this is gonna be good press for Apple, but don't forget to give the props to the one who deserves them. Picaso wasn't great because of the paint brush he used.

Lethal