Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
In Air Share when you transfer a file on your computer to the Air Share folder do these files stay on the computer or are they immediately transferred to the iphone taking up memory?

I am hoping the answer to this is that the file is physically on the computer hard drive and is accessed like simplify media but I am not sure. Anyone?

Thanks
Charlie C:confused:

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The file actually goes to the iPhone and you can access the file when you are out of range of the network. It actually takes up memory on the iPhone.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
arggggggg

Damn, although a good app I see really no advantage. I can email anything I want as an attachment.

Is there any way to make it not transfer the file and just keep it on the hard drive to be accessed when needed?

This is why simplify Media is such a great app, huge play lists no memory used up on the iphone.

Charlie C

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Damn, although a good app I see really no advantage. I can email anything I want as an attachment.

Is there any way to make it not transfer the file and just keep it on the hard drive to be accessed when needed?

This is why simplify Media is such a great app, huge play lists no memory used up on the iphone.

Charlie C

It's useful if you want to, say, carry around multiple files in multiple folders on your iPhone, and want to keep the directory structure.

Sounds to me like you should take a look at some of those apps that lets you remote control your computer. They would let you browse and manipulate files on your computer remotely.

BennyBlades

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Evergreen Park, IL
I just downloaded Air Sharing. Setup was easy, I dumped two files into the public folder, one and excel file, another a pages doc. When viewing on the iphone, I can not scroll over the the right side of the spreadsheet, it keeps bumping me back to left justified. My pages doc is not clear at all even if I make everything bigger. Any thoughts?

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I installed Air Share and it's working great. I like the fact that you can designate a public area and have the rest be password protected. That way you can set it down and not worry that someone else may see it online and get to things on it that you don't want them to.

I have used it to store some IT tools on. I can get to them quickly and I don't have to worry about plugging in a USB device that may be forgotten (or have to possibly crawl on on the disgusting floors under some people's desks!).

I like that you can copy over some files like pictures quickly rather than send them via email and potentially fill up the recipient's (or your) mailbox.

The $0 price is a real deal right now too.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
Zach...I love it too but it's not working! Any thoughts? Do you have issues scrolling across a file and it bumps you back to the left??

I haven't tried to view anything yet that requires side to side scrolling.

I have used it for sharing files and have viewed some pictures of mine and the sample spreadsheets from within it.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Someone help me...I'm still not completely seeing the point of this app. With the included mail app I can email myself anything, download it to the ipod over the internet and then have it available to view offline.

I occasionally use this feature, but is there a limit to how many attachments I can have in mail before I have to re-download things?

As far as I can tell, this is just a different way to do the same thing. Instead of using the internet, you use a wireless network.

Someone mentioned you can keep directory structure and carry around mutliple files in multiple folders, but can't you make sub folders in the mail app as well to accomplish the same thing?

ilfn143

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Enron by the Sea
Someone help me...I'm still not completely seeing the point of this app. With the included mail app I can email myself anything, download it to the ipod over the internet and then have it available to view offline.

I occasionally use this feature, but is there a limit to how many attachments I can have in mail before I have to re-download things?

As far as I can tell, this is just a different way to do the same thing. Instead of using the internet, you use a wireless network.

Someone mentioned you can keep directory structure and carry around mutliple files in multiple folders, but can't you make sub folders in the mail app as well to accomplish the same thing?

I have a 100MB file work on at home and work, instead of carrying a USB flash I use this. Email take too long to upload and download twice everyday.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I have a 100MB file work on at home and work, instead of carrying a USB flash I use this. Email take too long to upload and download twice everyday.

ahh ok, that would be a good use for this then. Usually when I need to carry a file its because I want to use it on someone elses computer, or a computer at school. I've never set up an ad-hoc network so I don't know how much of a hassle this would be to do to transfer over a file. Untill then I'll use my 30gb ipod to transfer files. I downloaded it so maybe someday I'll use it if the need arises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.